1998 Chevrolet Silverado electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Chevrolet Silverado:

1998 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

Oct 252002

1998 Silverado ext. Cab - the vehicle had been sitting all afternoon of 10/24 and all night. Friday morning at about 6:15 I heard a horn blowing. I went outside to investigate and found the interior of my truck on fire. I have pictures (if you would like to see them). It is obvious that the fire started in the dash to left of the steering wheel. That section of the dash was melted beyond recognition. The windshield blew in the left hand corner and the driver's side window also blew. The left side of the steering wheel completely melted and the drivers seat was burnt to the floor. The rest of the interior burned also, but the heaviest burning was the front drivers side. The truck was deemed totaled. There is not doubt that the fire started in the left dash near the fuse door. I was told that there had been a recall for this problem, but I never received anything about it. If the melting plastic on the steering wheel had not set the horn off, we would have lost our home. Can you give me any information about this. I would be glad to send you the pictures if you like.

- Milton, WI, USA