7.3

2. replace knock sensor (2 reports)
  3. change 1-2 solenoid (1 reports)
2003 Chevrolet Silverado engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Silverado:

2003 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

Sep 302009

Silverado LS 5.3L V8

My 03 1500 engine light is on has been on since i bought the truck in 09. i was told it was a oxygen sensor because it is making the engine rough. The dashboard says the battery charge is low and wont turn the truck on but i find this not to be true because the engine would want to turn over it just sounded like it wasn't getting enough fuel. I don't know what is wrong

- , Paw Paw, IL, USA

May 052009

Silverado 5.7L

THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS DO TO GAS CAP . KEEPS GOING ON EVEN AFTER BEING RESET. I ALWAYS SHUT TRUCK OFF WHEN GASSING UP BUT STILL GOES ON

- , Sidney Center, NY, USA

May 192010

Silverado 1500HD 6.0L V8

Bought the truck used. Washed entire unit before fully enjoying it. Washed the engine, not with a pressure washer, only running water. Two days later CEL (Check Engine Light) was on. ODBII Code was P0332 (Knock Sensor Bank 2 low signal). Reset CEL. Two days later CEL back. GM has a TSB out about corrosion problems on this sensor due to bad design. Water gets in and and can not get out, then corrodes only the back sensor. It is recommended to replace both since one has to completely remove the intake to get to them. They are screwed into the top of the the engine below the intake manifold. GM also recommends replacing the wiring harness since everything is open. Then, to put things back together one needs also replacing the intake plenum gasket. This seems to be a common problem with this vintage Chevy's/GM' all size motors and models.

On this truck though the motor still seems fine - no rough idling or knocking. Engine seems a little sluggish though. I know the previous owner and this truck was always babied....

- , Edmonton, AB, Canada

May 012009

Silverado 1500 4.8L

Check Engine light came on, I went to Auto Zone to get the codes read. 2 codes, each was around the 1-2 shift solenoid.

I checked it out and felt comfortable enough my 1-2 shift solenoid failed, I bought one from the dealership for about $25, plus 5 quarts tranny fluid.

I did change this myself, on my driveway on a creeper. I went to school for auto maintenance about 15 years ago so I was fairly comfortable doing this.

Well it fixed the problem, but when going out to test drive my son went to roll up his passenger window and it went up but has stopped working and is making a bunch of noise when you try to move it.

Give me a F(&*ing break, this P/U has about 55,000 miles on it and after reading there's a ton of problems with these window regulators it really pisses me of even more.

I'm GLAD GM is going to have to file bankruptcy. What a bunch of arrogant pricks. Junk vehicles with no loyalty to their customers.

I bought this P/U new and I told myself I was going to keep this P/U forever and even put a new engine in it once it wore out. By the looks of it this thing could end up nickle and diming me to death. I'm gonna fix this window and the next failure I have I'm gonna look for a different used P/U.

No wonder Toyota is eating GM's lunch. Good for them.

- , West Fargo, ND, USA

Mar 022009

Silverado 1500 4x4 Ext Cab LB V8

At about 45,000 miles, my truck started this. The Engine light came on and it would start stalling. Every traffic light, stop sign, while turning, etc. I have had it stall in the middle of traffic.

IT has been to mulitple mechanics, dealerships, and the light. I am always told the computer doesn't find anything, and they would change some sensors. I always get it back no engine light on, and then a mile or two later the light is back!

This is my biggest complaint with my truck. It is dangerous and a pain in the ass.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 062007

Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L

I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado with a 6.0 engine and automatic transmission and the engine light came on. I put a scanner on it came up with the code po332B Knock Sensor 2 circuit low frequency. I need to know where the sensors are so I can change them out or check any wiring problems. Let me know how I can fix the problem before it becomes a problem. Right now there is no knocking in or around the engine that I can tell and seems to run well.

- , Tooele, Utah, USA