1. replace fuel pump and fuel filter (1 reports)
2003 Chevrolet Silverado fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Silverado:

2003 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

Feb 182012

Silverado LT 5.3L V8

I drove to a city roughly 50 miles from my home to do some shopping. When I got there I went into a store to get some stuff and when I came out my pickup started fine but wasn't idling real well. I took off and it died in the middle of an extremely busy frontage road. I managed to get it started again (thank God!) and get into a nearby parking lot. From there it would not stay running. I called a local GM dealership and of course being Saturday they were booked. They referred me to a Cenex station that handles their towing. I called them and got towed to their shop a short while later. The mechanic pulled it in, ran a fuel pressure test and instantly knew the problem. Busted fuel pump. Must be common on these trucks at this mileage. He quoted me 800-900 to get it fixed and he wouldn't be able to do it till Monday. Well that wouldn't have worked for me so I had them tow it back home. 50 miles and a $300 tow bill later I got it my mechanic and left it at his shop. Went in there on Monday, told him the problem and he said he'd get to it Tuesday. I got it back on Tuesday to the tune of $680. I could have gotten by cheaper if I had bought an aftermarket fuel pump. As it is I bought an AC Delco for $431 because believe me, I do not want to be stranded again. Major pain in the ass!

- , Thief River Falls, MN, USA