2004 Chevrolet Silverado AC / heater problems: heater/ac not working properly

Heater/Ac Not Working Properly

2004 Chevrolet Silverado

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

6.9

$1,200.00

2. dealer could not verify (2 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Silverado:

2004 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

Aug 252011

Silverado LS 4.8L

I HAVENT TOOK IT TO DEALER YET I WANT MY CLUSTER PANEL FIXED WHEN I TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP.

- , Sand Springs, Okla., USA

Dec 122007

Silverado 5.3

GM SUCKS They need to do more with helping the issues and fixing them. Own up to your sh*tty fabrication

- , Latrobe, PA, USA

Mar 012010

Silverado LS 4.3L V6

this trk has been a nightmare since i bought it .just put a new motor in it yes a new motor with just over 100,000k on it. now this a/c problem. hope somebody out there has a solution for me. thx

- , Whitehouse, TX, USA

Apr 012009

Silverado 1500

The air conditioning system will stop working all of a sudden and give off excess hot air. Two of the air vents will continue blowing cold air. Its very frustrating and is happening more frequent than every now and then.

Update from Jun 28, 2009: The air conditioning system will stop working every now and then. It gives off excessive hot air while two of the air vents continue blowing cold air. Any comments or concerns on fixing the problem will be greatly appreciated.

- , Raymondville, TX, USA

Jun 012009

Silverado 1500 5.3L

I want to know how to fix it. What part is broken that is causing this.

- , Escondido, CA, USA

Aug 132008

Silverado LX 5.3L

The A/C goes to recirculate without my permission, and won't quit that till it's decided to.

My truck has what I thought was a manually controlled A/C system. It is the simplest kind. ok, unfortunately, the vehicle's computer has invaded everything, even the manual A/C system.

When it is hot weather, the truck is just started, and the A/C is put on normal, the thing sometimes goes by itself to "max" or "recirculate", and stays there till the inside is cooled off to the computer's satisfaction. (Even if you turn the hot/cold sliders to hot, it keeps this mode.) During this fit of disobedience, It will only leave the recirculate mode if the air flow is selected to "floor only".

This is a "feature" of the programming I was told, and is common to all these GM vehicles with the simple kind of A/C. There is no way to fix this so it obeys according to how I have set it, according to the dealer.

How ridiculous? If I want MAX/recirculate, then - I - will select it. I do not want the truck deciding how the A/C fresh air intake is to be set. I want the fresh air intake to be always selectable, but the truck thinks it knows better and selects MAX, regardless of my will, when it is hot outside.

I smoke and I never run the A/C on MAX when smoking because it smells up the truck. The problem is that in case there is an odor of any kind (i.e. dog smell etc -not me but some people allow that and worse), it is recirculated and for a time gets stuck in the A/C system, making it necessary to open all the windows with the A/C on and drive around to get it cleaned/blown out. So it's just about getting fresh air when I want it.

I swear I am going to find the little motor that moves the normal/recirculate door and put a toggle switch in its power lead! That way, it will not move unless I say it's OK. Or maybe find out how the pompously overbearing computer detects the temperature and (passenger compartment internal thermistor?) and substitute a fixed resistance to lie to it. Am I nit-picking? maybe, but what's so wrong with the customer selecting "fresh air"???

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 042006

Silverado 1500 LS

Electrical problem with all major gages and NO AC after 1st year. Also, transmission has went costing $2,800.00 for repair.

- , Owings Mills, MD, USA

May 042007

Silverado LT4 5.3L

While at work I would start the truck to warm up before leaving for home. After 20 minutes of idling I would get in and the cab would be no warmer inside then if I had never started it. After a mile or so of driving though, the heat would start to work.

Dealer could not verify

- , Richfield, MN, USA

Aug 222007

Silverado LE 5.3L

During the summer while the air conditioning would be running hot air would start coming out. During the winter the opposite would occur.

- , Armuchee, GA, USA