7.6

$3,431.00

2. replace valve cover (5 reports)
  3. replace valve stem seal (2 reports)
2007 Chevrolet Silverado engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Silverado:

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

May 012014

Silverado LTZ 5.3L V8 Ffl

GM and the dealership require you to undergo an oil consumption test where you must return return to the dealership to have your oil level checked a total of 4 times in increments of 1000 miles. My dealership, Bill Kay Chevrolet takes over an hour to check the oil level each time....After the oil level is confirmed low you must return to the dealership to have your vehicle serviced. The first step is having an updated valve cover installed if the problem still persists, and it will, then you must get an AFM shield installed. If the problem still persists, and again it most likely will, they must remove the engine and replace the pistons.

Ultimately the only real fix for this issue is having all three of the above fixed performed; but GM is cheap so they think if they can get away with the first or second step only then they will. Which means you must return to the dealership a total of 7 times for the oil test and all fixes to be performed. What a pain in the butt!!!!

- , Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Mar 012008

Silverado LTZ 5.3L

Ah the old excessive oil consumption that Chevrolet says is normal and they have a program in place to prove it and they will provide you with all the paperwork and work sheets to prove it. Yep all the dealers and dealership repairs people state same thing. Hum imagine that. Funny No other manufacturers vehicles does this. I thought when I complained to my dealer in Prattville AL, the way he treated me it was just the way it is and led me to believe it was just new technology due to engines being real tight tolerances and so on. And because it happened since I bought it new (10 Miles on odometer)he made a believer out of me. Then the inevitable happened. I met someone that had same problem and I googled oil consumption and low and behold I now know the truth. The whole problem appears to be linked to the fuel saving gimmick of dropping from a 8 cyl to 4 during reduction of acceleration. Those four cylinders are still operation just not getting fuel. I was told the valves stay open and no fuel is sent to the cylinder sort of like JAKE brake of big rigs. Problem is there is a vacuum created and it sucks oil into cylinder. In actuality there is no oil consumption, it's sucked out of the pan (notice no oil smoke unless you drop a valve or it explodes from wrong compression when kicks back in to 8 cylinders as some have found out. Most only find that it is only a inconvenience of adding oil. Others unfortunately have had to replace engines. My understanding currently is they changed valves or something (went over my head) to stop vacuum in the 2009-12 models, that's why you don't here about it in later models. I have talked to a few of those and it appears to be correct, my brother has a later model and his doesn't have the same issue. I was told one fix is to have dealer ship dis-engage the 8 to 4 fuel saving program. Don't use a lot of up and down accelerations and avoid hard take offs after long coasts, especially on higher mileage vehicles. Oh and by the way those that pull heavy trailers don't appear to have problem as bad, won't drop down to 4 cylinder mode when towing. I hope this to be fact and is what is happening. Chevrolet will never recall it as it is not a safety issue and most will not have a catatonic engine failure, and most appear to happen after 100,000 miles (past warranty) and very few below that. Of course there is the exception as I learned today. Individual is at 168,000 and is having third engine installed (own his own, valve explode and comes apart in engine, imagine how that feels) 2 under warranty, and now Chevrolet won't even talk to him, lawyer is involved (2008) model. Good luck all

- , Elmore, AL, USA

Jun 012014

Silverado

DO NOT purchase a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado unless you want to spend more time putting oil in the engine than you do driving the vehicle itself. I love Chevrolet Silverado's but I am extremely disappointed with this issue because there isn't a fix. Chevrolet dealers give you the run-around because they DO NOT have a solution. I really hope GM steps up and realizes the issue and comes up with a solution because adding quart(S) of oil right after an oil change is ridiculous.

- , Louisville, Kentucky, USA

Jul 012008

Silverado LT 5.3L

The 5.3 uses a quart of oil every 1000 miles ever since it was new.

- , Warrior, AL, USA

Jan 012007

Silverado LT 5.3L

Someone please help me. I have owned my 2007 Chevy 5.3 lt crew cab since new. I bought one of the first new body styles on the Chronic lot in Griffin. I have owned nothing but Chevy trucks since I started driving. My late step-father retired from GM. He worked at the Doraville GA plant. He had a heavy influence on my car decisions. I have been very pleased with my past S-10 and other Silverado but the latest truck has been nothing but problems.GM you need to fix these problems right or I'll never own another and I thought I'd never say that.

From day one this truck has burned about a quart an oil change, and no, this isn't normal. Traction control problems, engine reduced power, this problem cripples the vehicle. I have replaced the gas peddle, tips sensor, throttle body, and now truck won't idle right. I am so done with you Chevrolet. I look at all these people having the same problems, why don't you step up and fix the problems. Everyone I know will hear my disappointment in your product. I work very hard for every dime I make and won't waste another one. When you have a fix call me, all your dealership mechanics don't have answers, go figure. E-mail hunterceg88@gmail.com if you can help.

- , Griffin, GA, USA

Sep 262014

Silverado LT S.3

Over the course of the last few years I have had the excessive oil consumption issue but have not paid it to much attention, generally 1 qt every 2,000 miles, however this last weekend I was headed out of town low oil light came on, I added a qt started down the highway the check engine light comes on. I swing in to O'rielly's have them put it on the machine and it is throwing a code for a misfire on cylinder 7. Today I finally get it in the shop, the plug is fouled, they apparently do a compression test which they say it passed but tell me it will cost about $4200.00 to replace pistons and rings, they can change the plugs for $200.00+ but that is only a temp fix... I asked "if it passed the compression test how do you know it needs pistons and rings"? This isn't the first time the dealership has had issues with this problem. My oil consumption rate remains the same but now starting to get fouled plugs due to excessive oil.

- , Billings, MO, USA

Apr 012013

Silverado LT

Engine burns oil! It's only a 2007! But I imagine it's been doing this for a long time. We bought the truck in March 2013 from the Chevy dealership in town and they wont even service it! They claim that even though it "may" burn oil it's still within "acceptable margins"... we paid for a warranty but they wont service it. We tried to do the oil consumption test twice with the dealership and they kept finding excuses or reasons we need to start over or things that would "void" our attempts. We estimated it's burning a quart just almost every 1,000 miles... We overheard someone at the dealership saying to someone else that "there was dirt under the truck indicating misuse and not an engine problem.." ummm, its a truck and we live in Alaska....of course there is dirt under the truck!! We live on a dirt road! We bought a 4WD because of where we live! But dirt underneath it wouldnt cause the engine to burn oil! And there is no way that burning that much oil is "acceptable". Every trip we take we have to bring extra oil with us. Pathetic. We will never buy another Chevy. We tell everyone we know not to buy Chevy. It's one thing to have a truck with a problem, but then the Chevy dealership wont even stand behind the Chevy they sold us!

- , Fairbanks, Alaska, USA

Jan 082014

Silverado LTZ 5.3L

I have the same problem as everyone else. 1 quart every 1k miles. Bought the truck new in 2007, it now only has 66k miles on it. I updated the left valve cover per other's suggestions, didn't help. I will not be buying another Chevrolet. I guess I will try Ford. Very unhappy with oil lose, also around 35mph the tach jumps up and down. 2007 Silverado LTZ Z71 :(

- , Meridian, Idaho, USA

Jul 102013

Silverado LT 5.3L

I am a 100% medically retired marine! I was hit by an IED in Iraq my third tour! I bought this truck after selling my 2000 Silverado, which I drove until it had 250,000 miles on it, I loved that truck. However, this 2007 seems to have this oil consumption issue. I even switched to synthetic to see if that would help. It doesn't... I can have the oil changed, filter changed, and it still needs a quart of oil at 1700 to 1800 miles, I don't get it.

I talked to the dealership and they say this is normal and that Chevrolet knows about the problem because there are thousands of cases online. But they aren't going to do anything about it. I am on a fixed income and this gets expensive and very aggravating. It seems like unless people are getting killed due to their neglectfulness to their customers they want nothing to do with the issues.. C'mon Chevy, you all know about this issue, fix it.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 112012

Silverado 5.3L

I BOUGHT THE 2007 SILVERADO 1500 NEW - NOT EVEN 100 MILES ON IT. I TREATED IT LIKE A CHILD AND HAVE TAKEN IT TO THE DEALER FOR OIL CHANGES EVERY 3000 MILES. BOUGHT TIRES FOR IT FROM THE DEALERSHIP AND LET THEM DO EVERY TIRE ROTATION, REPLACE WINDSHIELD WIPERS, ETC.

I CAN'T REMEMBER HOW FAR BACK IT WAS WHEN I FIRST HAD THE LOW OIL LIGHT TO COME ON, BUT IT WAS AROUND 60,000 MILES. I TOOK IT IN IMMEDIATELY AND WAS GIVEN PAPERS THAT THE SERVICE MANAGER PRINTED OFF INDICATING IT WITHIN NORMAL RANGE. THE PROBLEM WENT ON AND I CONTINUED TO COMPLAIN UNTIL THEY DECIDED TO ADD A DEFLECTOR SHIELD OR DO SOMETHING TO THE VALVE COVER. I THOUGHT SURELY THIS WAS GOING TO FIX IT BECAUSE I HAD ACTED LIKE A BITCH FOR SO LONG AND NONE OF THE GUYS AT THE DEALERSHIP COULD STAND TO SEE ME COMING, BUT UNFORTUNATELY IT DID NOTHING FOR THE PROBLEM.... I CONTINUE TO USE AT LEAST 1.5 QUARTS OF OIL PER 3000 MILES AND STILL THERE IS NO FIX.

I TALKED TO THEM ON 10/08/14, AND THE NICE SERVICE TECHNICIAN TOLD ME TO CALL THE SERVICE MANAGER AND TALK TO HIM TO SEE IF THERE IS ANYTHING HE CAN DO FOR ME. I TRIED CALLING HIM A COUPLE OF TIMES, BUT NO ANSWER. I DIDN'T BOTHER LEAVING A MESSAGE. MY POINT IS I TRIED TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM FIXED UNDER WARRANTY AND NO ONE SEEMED CONCERNED. NOW THAT IT IS OUT OF WARRANTY THERE SEEMS TO BE NO REAL CONCERN, BUT MAYBE THEY CAN DO SOMETHING FOR ME... THEY WANT MORE OF MY MONEY IS WHAT THEY WANT TO DO FOR ME. ALSO, THEY SHARE THE INFORMATION THAT I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE SALE PEOPLE TOO, BECAUSE THEY CALL ME NEARLY EVERY TIME I COME IN FOR SERVICE AND MAKE A COMPLAINT AND TRY TO SELL ME ANOTHER PIECE OF CRAP!

CHEVROLET/GM REALLY SUCKS. I HAVE CALLED THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND CRIED, CURSED, BEGGED AND THEY DON'T REALLY CARE AS LONG AS OUR TAX DOLLARS CAN BAIL THEM OUT. I THINK I WILL LOOK FOR A FORD... SOMETHING I THOUGHT I WOULD NEVER DO.

- , Warrenton, NC, USA

Aug 172013

Silverado LT 5.3L

I bought this truck used, had 50 some thousand miles on it. At 71000 miles or so my 07 5.3 started burning oil. Took it to the dealer everytime to have the oil changed. Asked them why it started using oil, they said they would check it out. Said they checked all parts and there were no leaks, didn't know why it used oil. I have had to put in 1 or 2 qts. of oil between oil changes ever since. Have oil changed every 3000 or 4000 thousand miles. Asked about it again the first of Oct. 2014 and they said they would call me back the next day. It's the 15 and still have not heard from them. What do we all do to get help from General Motors? I have read a lot of the other post all the same.

- , Pulaski, VA, USA

Jun 152010

Silverado Z-71 5.3L

The Chevy dealer had it in the shop for 3 days..yes it was under warranty still, however they did not fix the damn problem!!! It still required 1 quart at 2000 miles after my oil change.

I complained once again....I was told I had to take it to a Chevy dealer for oil change so it could be tracked, so I did their solution..straight from the shop manager was,"Chevy had sent emails to them regarding this problem and they were recommending you get your oil changed every 2000 miles!!! This is fraud boys. When I bought my truck it had only 16 miles on it coming off the lot!! The motor was suppose to be designed to go 5000 miles between oil changes!!!

This was my 3rd new Chevy truck....and if they decide not to recall this matter and make good on this issue it will be my last.

Update from May 24, 2014: Adding to my complaint........Anyone from Chevy don't bother calling me like you did last time.....you only need to call if you have a true solution that works!! and will be covered completely by You!!

This problem is way out of hand...I could read complaints on this all day.

Fix Your Mistake!!! We All Paid Our Hard Earned Money For These Trucks!!!

- , Unionville, MO, USA

Apr 012014

Silverado LT 5.3L V8

I have a 2007 Silverado LT 4x4 Z71. I bought this back in 2009 with 34k miles on it. I did not have any problem with it up until this April when the oil pressure gauge started wobbling when I was driving. I stopped my truck and checked the oil level, and came to know the oil level was so low that the dip stick did not show any oil at all. I could add 4 quarts of oil that time. I went to see a local mechanic and he said that the head cover was loose so he tightened it up. But it did not solve the problem. it happened at 110000 miles. Ever since, I have had to add 1-2 quarts of oil every 2-3 thousand of miles. Now it has 125000 miles on it. I need to repair the problem... It seems to me that I am having the same issue as all the others here.

- , San Diego, California, USA

Aug 092014

Silverado Crew 5.3L

I have a 2007 1500 Chev Silverado, 5.3 engine. It has 68,000 miles and an extended warranty. It has been using a quart of oil every 1,000 - 1,500 miles. The Chev dealership did an oil consumption and replaced the valve cover and a $ 3.51 cent VFM Deflector and said this would fix it, "they think". I have no clue if this will fix it. Or am I being stalled until my warranty runs out ?

- , Clemmons, NC, USA

Jan 012009

Silverado LT 5.3L

I have had this truck since new ,and have had to add 1 or 2 quarts between every 3000 mile oil change .I now have 117000 miles on it and its too expensive for me to fix so I am stuck with it.i first leased it,and financed after that for 5 years and owe more than its worth .I have a 01 suburban with 176000 miles on it and it doesn't use as much oil as the 07 Silverado. believe me it gets worse.. Read my next complaint after this .I have owned Chevy trucks for almost 25 years . But they talk one thing and don't back it up with a quality product ,It pains me to say I think its time for a F- rd .Really ; read my next complaint on ball joints .

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Dec 142013

Silverado LT 5.3L Afm

Once or twice in the last year my low oil light came on. It was always close to the normal time to change so I did. Just in the last several months now it has become extremely bad. I contacted GM and they gave the usual "well we don't know what that would be from but we can check it." I told them how it is all over the net that it is a BIG ISSUE but of course they didn't want to hear it. They just said you can't trust the internet all the time and not every vehicle is the same.

Well I now have a GM case# and they are doing the oil consumption test so we will see what happens. The problem is that I am out of the factory warranty so I might be S.O.O.L. I love my truck and have always been a GM person especially with the trucks and SUVs. With all this going I am starting to reconsider.

Boy, those Toyota Tundras sure look nice!! LOL

- , Ephrata, PA, USA

Jul 162009

Silverado LT 5.3L

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71 4x4. One quart of oil every 2000 miles and I have 178000 on mine. It started at around 60000, GM you make the count! It is time GM steps up and fix this problem. Have taken my truck to the dealer, auto shops and whoever can tell me why this is happening and it seems they all have the same stupid answer " IT IS COMMON ON YOUR TRUCK TO BURN OIL AFTER 50000 to 60000 miles". GM DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! FIX THIS PROBLEM!

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jun 042008

Silverado LX 5.3L

GMC, step up and put out a recall or I'll never buy from you again.

- , Benton, AR, USA

Mar 072013

Silverado LT 5.3L

I love my truck but starting using oil at about 48000 miles. Dealer dried to bullshit me but had the receipts to prove under warranty. They tried a bull sh*t remedy to make me happy but still using oil. Met a master mechanic for gm and told me the problem. Valve stem seal. So how long is the dealer and gm going to play this game?

- , Stockton, CA, USA

Jan 302014

Silverado LS 5.3L

I've owned several GM products over the years and am very disappointed that GM will not admit that there is a problem. I have talked to a few that have had the AFM system shut down and it has helped the problem and increased HP and MPG? Depending on conditions my truck will be a quart down in 900 to 1000 miles right after a fresh oil change. I have also used GM oil.

- , nevada, MO, USA