2007 Chevrolet Silverado engine problems: excessive oil consumption

Excessive Oil Consumption

2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Page 1 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

7.6

2. replace valve cover (4 reports)
  3. replace valve stem seal (2 reports)
2007 Chevrolet Silverado engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Silverado:

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 012014

Silverado LT 5.3L V8

I have a 2007 Silverado LT 4x4 Z71. I bought this back in 2009 with 34k miles on it. I did not have any problem with it up until this April when the oil pressure gauge started wobbling when I was driving. I stopped my truck and checked the oil level, and came to know the oil level was so low that the dip stick did not show any oil at all. I could add 4 quarts of oil that time. I went to see a local mechanic and he said that the head cover was loose so he tightened it up. But it did not solve the problem. it happened at 110000 miles. Ever since, I have had to add 1-2 quarts of oil every 2-3 thousand of miles. Now it has 125000 miles on it. I need to repair the problem... It seems to me that I am having the same issue as all the others here.

- , San Diego, California, USA

Aug 092014

Silverado Crew 5.3L

I have a 2007 1500 Chev Silverado, 5.3 engine. It has 68,000 miles and an extended warranty. It has been using a quart of oil every 1,000 - 1,500 miles. The Chev dealership did an oil consumption and replaced the valve cover and a $ 3.51 cent VFM Deflector and said this would fix it, "they think". I have no clue if this will fix it. Or am I being stalled until my warranty runs out ?

- , Clemmons, NC, USA

Jan 012009

Silverado LT 5.3L

I have had this truck since new ,and have had to add 1 or 2 quarts between every 3000 mile oil change .I now have 117000 miles on it and its too expensive for me to fix so I am stuck with it.i first leased it,and financed after that for 5 years and owe more than its worth .I have a 01 suburban with 176000 miles on it and it doesn't use as much oil as the 07 Silverado. believe me it gets worse.. Read my next complaint after this .I have owned Chevy trucks for almost 25 years . But they talk one thing and don't back it up with a quality product ,It pains me to say I think its time for a F- rd .Really ; read my next complaint on ball joints .

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Dec 142013

Silverado LT 5.3L Afm

Once or twice in the last year my low oil light came on. It was always close to the normal time to change so I did. Just in the last several months now it has become extremely bad. I contacted GM and they gave the usual "well we don't know what that would be from but we can check it." I told them how it is all over the net that it is a BIG ISSUE but of course they didn't want to hear it. They just said you can't trust the internet all the time and not every vehicle is the same.

Well I now have a GM case# and they are doing the oil consumption test so we will see what happens. The problem is that I am out of the factory warranty so I might be S.O.O.L. I love my truck and have always been a GM person especially with the trucks and SUVs. With all this going I am starting to reconsider.

Boy, those Toyota Tundras sure look nice!! LOL

- , Ephrata, PA, USA

Jul 162009

Silverado LT 5.3L

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71 4x4. One quart of oil every 2000 miles and I have 178000 on mine. It started at around 60000, GM you make the count! It is time GM steps up and fix this problem. Have taken my truck to the dealer, auto shops and whoever can tell me why this is happening and it seems they all have the same stupid answer " IT IS COMMON ON YOUR TRUCK TO BURN OIL AFTER 50000 to 60000 miles". GM DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! FIX THIS PROBLEM!

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jun 042008

Silverado LX 5.3L

GMC, step up and put out a recall or I'll never buy from you again.

- , Benton, AR, USA

Mar 072013

Silverado LT 5.3L

I love my truck but starting using oil at about 48000 miles. Dealer dried to bullshit me but had the receipts to prove under warranty. They tried a bull sh*t remedy to make me happy but still using oil. Met a master mechanic for gm and told me the problem. Valve stem seal. So how long is the dealer and gm going to play this game?

- , Stockton, CA, USA

Jan 302014

Silverado LS 5.3L

I've owned several GM products over the years and am very disappointed that GM will not admit that there is a problem. I have talked to a few that have had the AFM system shut down and it has helped the problem and increased HP and MPG? Depending on conditions my truck will be a quart down in 900 to 1000 miles right after a fresh oil change. I have also used GM oil.

- , nevada, MO, USA

Dec 112013

Silverado LT 5.3L

I purchased a used 2007 Silverado with 68K miles and noticed after the first oil change it only went 2K miles with conventional 10W-30 and the ADD OIL indicator came on. I added 1QT of oil and did not think much of it. I now have 79K miles on it and have had to add 1QT 2K miles after every oil change since. I have not taken it to the dealer because I know how it works, my truck has a 6" lift with 35" tires and have replaced the gears with 4:56's so the first thing they are going to tell me is that the reason my truck burns oil is because of the modes. BULL!!! I have friends with Fords, Chevys, Dodge and even Nissans with similar modes and they do not have this problem. I know a mechanic that told me that GM F'ed up in 2007 and provided CRAPPY piston rings which basically COOK the oil in the block. "There is nothing wrong with the engine" he said, because as you have all experienced I'm sure, you are not leaking oil or burning white smoke out of the exhaust. GM will not do anything about this because it has no threat to life or limb. I do not want to give up on my truck because I LOVE it and I want to keep it, I have invested so much into dolling it up to my taste that the thought of taking my loses just hurts:( I might just have to or it will be a money pit for sure.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Feb 182014

Silverado LX V8

Why isn't there a class action suit. it's not right, I noticed it as an on going thing. a friend told me that it shouldn't be using oil. the truck is almost new I take very good care of it, do the oil changes when I'm supposed to. now all of a sudden she started acting up, misfire then this oil consumption thing. really if anyone is starting a suit, include me I will help. Thanks.

- , Tacoma, WA, USA

Jan 012009

Silverado 5.3L V8

Same here. I have a 2007 silverado with AFM 5.3L. Uses oil between oil changes at around 2000 miles. A quart exactly. Sick of dealing with it. If anyone on here can get a recall for this from GM yell at me on here.

- , Somerset, KY, USA

Mar 072013

Silverado LTZ 5.3L Vortec

i'm a gm man through and through but this is crazy. i brought mine used and had a 30 day warranty. we do oil changes without filters. this sh*t is crazy......lets start a class action law suit........Instructions

1) Understand the legal terms: A class action is a procedure used to efficiently handle a lawsuit in which a large number of people have been injured by a common act, or set of actions, or product. A suit is not considered a class action until there is a court order making it such.

2) Research the scope of the problem. How you do this will depend greatly on the issue. The Web is a tremendous resource: Visit chat rooms and online support groups to find information that relates directly or tangentially to your lawsuit.

3) Hire an attorney who specializes in the type of lawsuit you are pursuing. For instance, if you are suing a current or former employer for discrimination or back wages, hire an employment or labor lawyer. There are also attorneys who specialize in securities, product liability and defective manufacturing. Many lawyers who take on class action suits work on a contingency basis, which might be more than 30 percent of the final settlement.

4) Determine with your lawyer whether your lawsuit has broad appeal. It all depends on the problem. Again, use the Web to help identify potential plaintiffs. Dig up information from government agencies or congressional representatives. Place an ad in a newspaper after a class action is certified by a court.

5) File your case, then a motion for class certification. In order to qualify, you must prove that you have a sufficient number of plaintiffs involved, all of whom were subject to similar misconduct, and you must show that each person is making the same allegations. Your attorney must also prove that common questions predominate in the suit rather than individualized issues. He or she will handle this.

6) Send notices to potential members of the class suit. You as the plaintiff (and your lawyer) are responsible for this. The defendants must provide their names and addresses. Your legal team must also publish a notice in nationwide papers such as The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times. Some potential class lawsuit members may opt to sue on their own or not at all.

7) Prepare your case and get ready to go to court.

Read more: How to Organize a Class Action Lawsuit | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_135688_organize-class-action.html#ixzz2MwA4AxEk

- , High Point, NC, USA

Jun 292012

Silverado Crewcab Ltz 5.3L

I bought the truck, used Chevy Silverado at a place called Pearl Toyota in Peoria Illinois . Less than one week from the purchase the add oil warning came on . So I took it back to Pearl . They said it comes on when its just barely low which I found out was a lie . Then almost every 2 thousand miles it kept coming on . I thought maybe it was just because it had over 60,000 miles on it .I later found out that Chevy has had this problem for a while . But has done nothing to help . They said they did not consider it a safety issue, so they will not issue a recall . It still has the add oil light coming on . Now I have 80,000 miles on it . I feel like its a waste to change the oil since every time the light comes on I have to add 2 qt . I am a RN so I tell everyone I meet about my issue . So they know what to look for when they buy a truck from Chevy , or Pearl Toyota in Peoria Illinois .

- , Peoria, IL, USA

Jan 022010

Silverado LT 5.3L

The 2007 Silverado 1500 5.3L I have has been using oil and like everyone else I got the run around from the dealership. Of course the main problem is really GM in not fixing this problems. My truck has been using oil at around 20000 miles or so. At first I had not notice it but as time went on I notice the low level oil light kept coming on after about 1000 to 2000 miles after oil change. My truck now has about 58000 miles and I report it to the dealership and the said, Oh.........lets kept a watch on your truck to see how much oil it uses. So got oil change and every 1000 miles I went so that the dealer could check the oil. Of course at 1000 mile in bare any oil usage, at next 1000 miles it was noticeable as usage. So they check with GM's notes as to see if that was to much usage and I course, I figure GM's note would state that it was within spec. So they said ......you have

NO PROBLEM .. on you truck engine. I have bought 4 new trucks from GM in the pass and never had this type of problem at all, but they did not have this engine where four cylinder turn off for better gas mileage. I am in with alot of other people about fixing this problem on these engines, the way you fix these problems is..... DO NOT BUY GM PRODUCTS AGAIN........so this will be my last machine I buy from GM!........Very disappoint with this American GM Product.

- , Plano, TX, USA

Jan 102013

Silverado LT 5.3L

My 2007 Silverado with the 5.3 started to go thru the oil around 60000 miles. My dealer was very cooperative and offered to do the oil consumption test and after the fact agreed that indeed there was a problem. To fix the problem they would have to replace the pistons and rings. After dealing with the case manager at GM, I found out that they would cover 60 percent of the total cost. GM-- this would be ok if there was only a few of us having trouble. After doing a little reasearch I realized that there is a whole list of us having trouble. GM--I think it may be time to live up to your reputation and take better care of your customers. Fix the problem have a recall!!

- , Star Prairie, WI, USA

Mar 102013

Silverado LT 5.3L

How in the HELL can I have no problems with my truck and just shortly after 100,000 miles. I am getting the low engine oil sensor not even after 100 miles on my last oil change!! What the HECK Chevrolet!! I have always owned Chevrolet and I have always been happy with my chevys. I had a 2000 chevrolet siverado with over 200,000 miles on it with no problem what so ever. Now Chevrolet is saying this is not covered since your warranty is expired. WHAT A CROCK OF CRAP!!! There is nothing more frustrating than hearing that someone that has an obvious problem with their product will not step up and take the responsibility for it and fix it. If they will not fix my problem then I say screw Chevrolet and their products! I am in a VERY large business and have the influence to let my people know how sh*tty chevrolet is and I will spread the word to everyone I know telling them to steer clear of all chevy products. If you don't believe me than ask all my friends of over 400,000 strong! The one great thing about the Army is that there is a ton of us and we all share the same thing. We don't like people screwing with us! Good luck Chevy!

- , Cache, OK, USA

Apr 092012

Silverado

The problem started when you start the vehicle their is a nice Blue/black puff of exhaust to start with. We went in talked to the dealership. No problem. Then there was the recall to put the oil deflector on so we did that. Come to find out they just put the old oil filter back in with new oil, because the repair/recall didn't cover a new filter. We were never told that until we asked. Fine whatever. Then the problem got worse so we talked to another dealership they said it had to use a certain amount, we it didn't use enough so it didn't pay to document it. NOW it does use enough but our warranty just ran out 2 weeks earlier and they said we you should have called in sooner. So now I am told it will cost around $4,000 and I am stuck with it because it is no longer under warranty. I see that I am not the only person with this problem, I agree with other that a class action lawsuit is needed so this problem can be fixed.

- , Hutchinson, MN, USA

Aug 202012

Silverado LTZ 5.3L Vortec

2007 silverado ltz vortec crap 5.3 with AFM. 1 quart of oil in less then 3000 miles so far my advice to all with the same problem trade it in for ford, dodge, toyota or bicycle and save money and all the time wasting with GMC. they don't care about your problem - you bought it live with it - that's what i came to realize. i'd rather lose some money on a trade-in than this crap

- , Taos, NM, USA

Dec 072007

Silverado V8

I have complained to chev they found oil in intake manifold installed a afm oil deflector rocker arm cover anc cleaned carbon from cylinders still using oil. Please do something about this.

- , Neosho, MO, USA

Feb 242012

Silverado LXT 5.3L: V8 E85

The truck uses oil, mostly when I'm pulling a (light) trailer. At a quart for every 3000 miles.

- , Mechanicsburg, OH, USA