Excessive Oil Consumption

2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Page 1 of 4)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

7.7

$3,510.00

2. replace valve cover (6 reports)
  3. replace engine (2 reports)
  4. replace valve stem seal (2 reports)
  5. traded truck after repair (1 reports)
2007 Chevrolet Silverado engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Silverado:

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 012010

Silverado 5.3L

First time posting. 2007 Silverado bought new. Love the truck, lots of power. But..........a quart of oil every 800 miles. Now the lifters clack every start up until they get oil, Now I am hearing a low knock, main bearing maybe. After reading all the postings I now understand why. I refuse to play the dealer game of all the hoops of getting it fixed and in the end it is money out of your pocket for what really is just a piece of inadequate machinery. Fuel management Ha Ha Ha 15 to 17 mile to the gallon no matter how you drive, what a joke, but they sold me on it. Can't afford to trade it, fix it, or buy another. Oil is cheaper than a new engine which based on what I am reading is the only real solution. Good thing it is paid off.

- , Middleburg, FL, USA

May 062016

Silverado LTZ 5.3L V8

2007 SILVERADO WAS USING 2 QUARTS OF OIL EVERY 2500 MILES, AND THEN THE MOTOR BLEW UP WITH 96,513 MILES ON IT, COSTING $6250 TO REPLACE MOTOR, THAT WAS FROM THAT DAM AFM THAT CHANGES 8CY TO 4CY THE BIGGEST JOKE CHEVY EVER DID!! MY FRIEND HAS A 2011 THAT'S DOING THE SAME THING, BUT HE GOT SMART THE OTHER DAY, HE TRADED IT FOR A NEW FORD BEFORE IT BLEW UP TOO!! SO MY 2007 HAS A NEW MOTOR WITH 50,000 OR 5YR WARRATY, SO IM GOING TO DRIVE THE HELL OUT OF IT FOR 45,000 AND GET RID OF IT!!

- , Donnelly, MN, USA

Feb 012016

Silverado LS 5.3L

Truck uses a lot of oil when the check engine light comes on and it says to service traction control.

- , Cameron, MO, USA

Mar 012016

Silverado LTX 5.3L V8

Chevrolet knows they have a problem with this years Silverado but will not do anything about it. They want me to purchase a NEWLY RE-DESIGNED VALVE COVER FOR ALMOST $200. That alone should be enough to make Chevrolet recall and fix this problem. They have redesigned the valve cover which means the old design was insufficient. By the way this may still not fix the problem but thats where they told me to start! I am now using at least a quart of oil every 500 miles.

- , Easley, SC, USA

Jan 202017

Silverado LTZ 5.3L V8

This excessive oil consumption issue has been an ongoing issue since 2 weeks after I bought this Truck, the dealership did a major repair in January 2016 and it is happening again to where my Cam Shaft, Lifters and rod are damaged now.

The warranty Company I have which covers only the power train would not fix the issue a year ago, yet the oil sending unit I understood was on recall then and replaced and started up again 1 year later. Now their deciding if and what they will do now.

There is a class action lawsuit in Minnesota for 2010-2013 Silverado 1500, I have notified them of my issue and I'm hoping I am added. If this warranty Company replaces the engine with a new GM engine I would be very appreciative but lets see what happens.

Update from Feb 1, 2017: I received a call from the Dealer Kemna of Fort Dodge that warranty company is authorizing a Remed: Meaning as I understand that I will be getting a Remanufactured Engine.

Update from Feb 16, 2017: I have now been without a truck 4 weeks tomorrow 2/17/2017. I now have made contact with GM and advised them of this ongoing issue and they now have contacted me wanting more details and they have recently replied;

2/16/2017

Hi Barry,

Thank you for providing that information. To ensure I assist you in the best way possible I went ahead and created case 8-2752083088 on your behalf. Moving forward I will be contacting Kemna Auto of Fort Dodge’s team for an update regarding your Silverado. Once I receive clarification I will be sure to follow-up with you.

In the meantime if you have any additional questions or concerns, please be sure to send another message my way.

Sincerely,

Brandon J. GM Customer Care

So the warranty company has now returned the first rebuilt engine back to the company who rebuilt the 5.3L Vortec has sent Kemna a Second Re-built engine in which has been scheduled for delivery tomorrow 2/17/17 now with a case number being assigned to my issue from GM now its wait and see.

Update from Mar 27, 2017: Since this truck has gone in and it took just about 5 weeks and a couple of days to finally get it back to us, the oil pressure went up and down considerably my wife and I had already started looking at other trucks to include other brands.

Well we got the truck back and within 2 weeks we found a truck a BRAND NEW TRUCK, we decided to buy a 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.7L Hemi and we traded in the Chevy.

I got really NO assistance with GM after posting a complaint on the Facebook page, oh don't get me wrong they did respond and I was asked to send a private message to their customer care Facebook page. I didn't want much just fix the problem even to the extent of making some concessions to assist us in getting a newer vehicle and nothing was offered.

Our first Dodge, and my second in 35years and are we so pleased with the product and warranty.

I will say that many people having issues with their 5.3L Vortec engine needs to spread the word about this to others before they buy a Chevy..

Good Bye GM and it will take an act of Congress to ever get my wife and I to reconsider a GM product again.

- , Humboldt, IA, USA

Jan 062016

Silverado Z71 5.3L

I have a 2007 chev Silverado and it seems like every 1000 miles I'm adding a quart or 2 of oil...bullshit

- , Appleton, WI, USA

May 102016

Silverado Z71 5.3L

Their test says its in specks. Over a quart of oil per 1800 miles

- , Wausau, WI, USA

Nov 182010

Silverado LT1 3.5L

I LIKE MY CHEVY TRUCK. I CAN'T AFFORD TO REPAIR THIS TRUCK.

- , Belleville, IL, USA

Feb 152016

Silverado LX 5.3L

Every week put one liter of oil.

- , Rialto, CA, US

Jul 012010

Silverado Z71 5.3L V8

I HAD TO BATTLE WITH THE DEALERSHIP AND CHEVY TOOTH AND NAIL TO GET THEM TO COVER THE REPAIRS. CHEVY WANTED TO TELL ME IT WAS NORMAL OIL CONSUMPTION TO HAVE TO ADD A QUART OF OIL OR TWO BETWEEN OIL CHANGES.

- , Bolivar, MO, USA

Mar 012016

Silverado Z71 5.3L V8

I STARTED TO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY NEW 2007 CHEVY SILVERADO IN 2010 AT 45,000 MILES. I HAD MULTIPLE FIXES ATTEMPTED BUT IT CONTINUED TO BURN OIL. THEY PERFORMED A REPAIR CONSISTING OF CHANGING THE VALVES, PISTON AND RINGS WHICH COST $1800.

THE TRUCK IS NOW AT 164,000 MILES AND I AM BURNING THROUGH A QUART OF OIL A WEEK. THE CHEVY DEALERSHIP NOW TELLS ME THE ONLY WAY TO FIX THE PROBLEM IS TO REPLACE THE ENGINE. THEY QUOTED ME A PRICE OF $6500 TO REPLACE THE ENGINE. I HAVE HAD TWO OTHER CHEVY VEHICLES IN THE PAST AND DRIVEN BOTH OF THEM FOR 275,000 PLUS MILES WITH NO ISSUES WITH THE ENGINES AND THEY NEVER USED OIL BETWEEN OIL CHANGES.

THE CHEVY DEALERSHIP TELLS ME THIS WHOLE PROBLEM IS DUE TO THE GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS ON THE AUTO INDUSTRY TRYING TO IMPROVE GAS CONSUMPTION. I SEE NO IMPROVEMENT IN GAS CONSUMPTION AND NOW I HAVE TO ADD AN EXTRA QUART OF OIL EACH WEEK.

IF CHEVY CAN'T STAND BEHIND THEIR ENGINES I DON'T KNOW WHY MY TAX DOLLARS WENT TO GO BAIL THEM OUT OF BUSINESS WHEN THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO BUILD ENGINES OR HAVE A FIX FOR THEIR ISSUES.

- , Bolivar, MO, USA

Jul 192014

Silverado LT 5.3L

I bought My 2007 Silverado Z71 Crew cab new in 2007. I now as of 4/22/15, have 51,000 miles on it. Around 34,000 miles, I checked the oil and it was 2 qts low. I use Mobile 1 full synthetic and Mobile long life filter doing it yourself about $50.00. Dealer $70. So when I saw 2 qts low I thought I must have not written it down in my small tablet in my truck, I always put The oil changes and dates and how many miles are on it in my tablet. So I changed it, 1,500 miles later its 2qts low again That's when I found out about the active fuel management problems, using oil

So today as of today I took to dealership to start the long process monitoring the oil consumption I have to return in 1500 miles, what I have read if burning oil is detected the dealer will change valve cover gaskets, Then 1500 miles if that don't work they will install an oil deflector or something like that, Then if that don't Then if that don't fix it they will pull the engine and put new style pistons in it and this is supposed to fix the problem, So I guess I will find out what will happen over this long process.

- , Loveland, OH, USA

May 012014

Silverado LTZ 5.3L V8 Ffl

GM and the dealership require you to undergo an oil consumption test where you must return return to the dealership to have your oil level checked a total of 4 times in increments of 1000 miles. My dealership, Bill Kay Chevrolet takes over an hour to check the oil level each time....After the oil level is confirmed low you must return to the dealership to have your vehicle serviced. The first step is having an updated valve cover installed if the problem still persists, and it will, then you must get an AFM shield installed. If the problem still persists, and again it most likely will, they must remove the engine and replace the pistons.

Ultimately the only real fix for this issue is having all three of the above fixed performed; but GM is cheap so they think if they can get away with the first or second step only then they will. Which means you must return to the dealership a total of 7 times for the oil test and all fixes to be performed. What a pain in the butt!!!!

- , Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Mar 012008

Silverado LTZ 5.3L

Ah the old excessive oil consumption that Chevrolet says is normal and they have a program in place to prove it and they will provide you with all the paperwork and work sheets to prove it. Yep all the dealers and dealership repairs people state same thing. Hum imagine that. Funny No other manufacturers vehicles does this. I thought when I complained to my dealer in Prattville AL, the way he treated me it was just the way it is and led me to believe it was just new technology due to engines being real tight tolerances and so on. And because it happened since I bought it new (10 Miles on odometer)he made a believer out of me. Then the inevitable happened. I met someone that had same problem and I googled oil consumption and low and behold I now know the truth. The whole problem appears to be linked to the fuel saving gimmick of dropping from a 8 cyl to 4 during reduction of acceleration. Those four cylinders are still operation just not getting fuel. I was told the valves stay open and no fuel is sent to the cylinder sort of like JAKE brake of big rigs. Problem is there is a vacuum created and it sucks oil into cylinder. In actuality there is no oil consumption, it's sucked out of the pan (notice no oil smoke unless you drop a valve or it explodes from wrong compression when kicks back in to 8 cylinders as some have found out. Most only find that it is only a inconvenience of adding oil. Others unfortunately have had to replace engines. My understanding currently is they changed valves or something (went over my head) to stop vacuum in the 2009-12 models, that's why you don't here about it in later models. I have talked to a few of those and it appears to be correct, my brother has a later model and his doesn't have the same issue. I was told one fix is to have dealer ship dis-engage the 8 to 4 fuel saving program. Don't use a lot of up and down accelerations and avoid hard take offs after long coasts, especially on higher mileage vehicles. Oh and by the way those that pull heavy trailers don't appear to have problem as bad, won't drop down to 4 cylinder mode when towing. I hope this to be fact and is what is happening. Chevrolet will never recall it as it is not a safety issue and most will not have a catatonic engine failure, and most appear to happen after 100,000 miles (past warranty) and very few below that. Of course there is the exception as I learned today. Individual is at 168,000 and is having third engine installed (own his own, valve explode and comes apart in engine, imagine how that feels) 2 under warranty, and now Chevrolet won't even talk to him, lawyer is involved (2008) model. Good luck all

- , Elmore, AL, USA

Jun 012014

Silverado

DO NOT purchase a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado unless you want to spend more time putting oil in the engine than you do driving the vehicle itself. I love Chevrolet Silverado's but I am extremely disappointed with this issue because there isn't a fix. Chevrolet dealers give you the run-around because they DO NOT have a solution. I really hope GM steps up and realizes the issue and comes up with a solution because adding quart(S) of oil right after an oil change is ridiculous.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 012008

Silverado LT 5.3L

The 5.3 uses a quart of oil every 1000 miles ever since it was new.

- , Warrior, AL, US

Jan 012007

Silverado LT 5.3L

Someone please help me. I have owned my 2007 Chevy 5.3 lt crew cab since new. I bought one of the first new body styles on the Chronic lot in Griffin. I have owned nothing but Chevy trucks since I started driving. My late step-father retired from GM. He worked at the Doraville GA plant. He had a heavy influence on my car decisions. I have been very pleased with my past S-10 and other Silverado but the latest truck has been nothing but problems.GM you need to fix these problems right or I'll never own another and I thought I'd never say that.

From day one this truck has burned about a quart an oil change, and no, this isn't normal. Traction control problems, engine reduced power, this problem cripples the vehicle. I have replaced the gas peddle, tips sensor, throttle body, and now truck won't idle right. I am so done with you Chevrolet. I look at all these people having the same problems, why don't you step up and fix the problems. Everyone I know will hear my disappointment in your product. I work very hard for every dime I make and won't waste another one. When you have a fix call me, all your dealership mechanics don't have answers, go figure. E-mail hunterceg88@gmail.com if you can help.

- , Griffin, GA, USA

Sep 262014

Silverado LT S.3

Over the course of the last few years I have had the excessive oil consumption issue but have not paid it to much attention, generally 1 qt every 2,000 miles, however this last weekend I was headed out of town low oil light came on, I added a qt started down the highway the check engine light comes on. I swing in to O'rielly's have them put it on the machine and it is throwing a code for a misfire on cylinder 7. Today I finally get it in the shop, the plug is fouled, they apparently do a compression test which they say it passed but tell me it will cost about $4200.00 to replace pistons and rings, they can change the plugs for $200.00+ but that is only a temp fix... I asked "if it passed the compression test how do you know it needs pistons and rings"? This isn't the first time the dealership has had issues with this problem. My oil consumption rate remains the same but now starting to get fouled plugs due to excessive oil.

- , Billings, MO, USA

Apr 012013

Silverado LT

Engine burns oil! It's only a 2007! But I imagine it's been doing this for a long time. We bought the truck in March 2013 from the Chevy dealership in town and they wont even service it! They claim that even though it "may" burn oil it's still within "acceptable margins"... we paid for a warranty but they wont service it. We tried to do the oil consumption test twice with the dealership and they kept finding excuses or reasons we need to start over or things that would "void" our attempts. We estimated it's burning a quart just almost every 1,000 miles... We overheard someone at the dealership saying to someone else that "there was dirt under the truck indicating misuse and not an engine problem.." ummm, its a truck and we live in Alaska....of course there is dirt under the truck!! We live on a dirt road! We bought a 4WD because of where we live! But dirt underneath it wouldnt cause the engine to burn oil! And there is no way that burning that much oil is "acceptable". Every trip we take we have to bring extra oil with us. Pathetic. We will never buy another Chevy. We tell everyone we know not to buy Chevy. It's one thing to have a truck with a problem, but then the Chevy dealership wont even stand behind the Chevy they sold us!

- , Fairbanks, AK, USA

Jan 082014

Silverado LTZ 5.3L

I have the same problem as everyone else. 1 quart every 1k miles. Bought the truck new in 2007, it now only has 66k miles on it. I updated the left valve cover per other's suggestions, didn't help. I will not be buying another Chevrolet. I guess I will try Ford. Very unhappy with oil lose, also around 35mph the tach jumps up and down. 2007 Silverado LTZ Z71 :(

- , Meridian, ID, US