CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Silverado has no defect trends, which is a very good sign now that it's more than a few years old.

A couple model years back, the 2007 Silverado has an oil consumption defect at low mileage (~50k miles) — so far there's only a very few reports of the same problem with the 2009 Silverado.

The 2009 Silverado received poor side impact ratings on models not equipped with the optional side air bags.

6.8

2. replaced dash (2 reports)
2009 Chevrolet Silverado accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Silverado:

2009 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

Nov 122013

Silverado LS 5.3L

I have owned GM trucks since 1973 and never had any complaints about the vehicles. The truck before this was a 1996 GMC SIERRA with half a million miles on it when I sold it. Very solid truck with almost no problems. The Silverado has been more troublesome. The exterior door handles had to be replaced because the plastic fasteners broke apart. Rattles and squeaks. But now this is quite a different story. I've seen Dodge Trucks with cracked dashes but not Chevy trucks that are not even 4 years old! I hope GM will step up and take care of this problem. It seems there are quite a few of these trucks and SUV's out there with this problem.

- , Harlingen, TX, USA

Jan 192014

Silverado LTZ 6.2L

I was cleaning out the interior of my 09 silverado and noticed 2 cracks in the dashboard above the airbag. I could expect this from a Dodge. I've owned 3 other Silverados before this one, 2 of them with nearly 200,000 miles and neither one ever had a cracked dash. Sad to say it but with the other problems I've had with this truck (oil pan leaking, driver window motor going out, seat heater not working) with only 63k on it, this will probably be the last Chevy I'll buy

Update from Jan 31, 2014: Took it in to my local Chevy dealer and they replaced the dash with a brand new one but I had to pay a $100 deductible

- , New Braunfels, TX, USA

Dec 072013

Silverado LTZ 5.3L V8

Cheap plastic area under the steering wheel cracked in three different places and a mount feel into the floor after getting in and hitting it with my knee. After looking at all the plastic pieces on the floor and now all the rattle that i hear at only 56,000 miles it makes me regret the purchase. I have already complained about oil consumption and electrical issues that is a pain to deal with.

- , Hollywood, SC, USA

Dec 142013

Silverado LT ZL1 5.3L

Got a crack in dash above the passenger airbag. Seems to be a problem area. I hope hope it doesnt keep cracking. First year model I have had this issue with and I have had a few as I drive a lot.

- , Hewitt, TX, USA

Oct 112013

Silverado LS 4.8L

My truck is in excellent condition, exterior wise that is. Now i have 2 cracks in the dash right above the passenger side air bag. it looks like crap!!!!!!! And of course this isn't covered under warranty. Go figure! Will be looking at Toyotas next time.

- , Crosby, TX, USA

Sep 022013

Silverado

click to see larger images

cracked dash cracked dash

This pick up not out in sun most days it started making a popping sound about 2 week before. then one day had bother with me and said here comes the pop but the dash crack in half it has had a small crack over the right air bag

- , Richmond, TX, USA

May 172012

Silverado LT 5.3L V8

This is the first vehicle in my lifetime that i have owned that the dash has crack on me in two places.

1.) Driver side lower part of dash panel straight in the middle view of the steering wheel.

2.) Passenger left lower side right next to air bag

3.) The cracks are 2ft. 8"inches apart in the same lower panel section

4.) I won't by any more GM Products in the rest of my lifetime I have left to live.

Update from Jun 11, 2013: cracks are spreading

- , Iowa, LA, USA

Nov 132012

Silverado LTZ V8

I have a 2009 chevy truck that is in great shape. I also noticed a cracked dash in the same place as others have mentioned. Today I noticed a new crack rigth next to the drivers side. I've also had the door latches replaced....inside and out because of the peeling chrome and peeling paint. I've ALWAYS bougth AMERICAn cars/ trucks....but I can tell you this....I will be looking somewhere else next time. Not sure why comapnies like GM don't understand that taking care of a cusotmer should be theri number one job...not posting profits.

- , Deer Park, TX, USA