8.8

2010 Chevrolet Silverado engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Silverado:

2010 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

Feb 192015

Silverado LT 5.3L

Truck has been in and out of the dealership 18 times regarding ticking in the motor, excessive oil consumption and blue smoke on start up. The ticking was fixed in January of 2015 after truck was out of warranty due to numerous un necessary oil consumption test and documentation and video of truck ticking loudly on cold start up. Truck had new limiters and cams installed under warranty even thought the truck was 4 thousand mikes out of warranty. The dealership left a valve seal off the motor after install the new valves and cams. I drove this truck for 5 days before noticing a softball size puddle of oil under my truck at s local grocery strode. I never had any oil leak in my garage in the concrete floor, I only noticed the oil after my fiancé say in the truck while I went into the store and left the truck running for her. Upon exiting the grocery store I noticed the softball size puddle of oil under my truck and upon lifting the hood there was oil all on the skid slate, control arms and all over the entire bottom engine compartment. The dipstick registered no oil showing and after putting in 4 quarts of oil I was able to limp to the dealership the flooring morning. Upon the dealership looking st my truck and determine they valve seal was never installed and that this was there fault it was fixed sever days later. After getting my truck back from the dealership I had blue smoke upon start up come out of the exhaust. This truck had never had any oil consumption issues or blue smoke upon start up until the valves and cams were replaced and the valve seal was left off of the motor. I have performed 4 oil consumption a test since will very test showing 2 quarts low at 1200 miles. The service manager and tech at Davis Chevrolet have said every time my truck has never been low on oil even with oil only showing on the bottom tip of the dipstick which I have video and photos of as I have been lied to every time and given the run around at this dealership since owing this truck. Upon further complaints and oil consumption test gm and the deals hip would give me a $1500 dollar good will certificate for a new chevy truck or I pay 40 percent of the repair cost for new pistons and rings that they are saying is causing my truck to use oil and cause blue smoke upon start up. This is a common issue with 5.3 engines from 2008-2010. Gm and the dealership are at fault and will not repair my vehicle that never used oil or had blue smoke at start up until the valve and cam swaps.

- , Lexington, NC, USA

Jan 312015

Silverado LT 5.3L V8

I had an oil change less than 3000 miles ago. I checked the oil level after the oil change and it was right where it should be. I was driving down the highway the other day and the check engine light came on. The oil pressure gauge dropped below the normal, vertical position. Note: the 'Check Oil' light never came on! I pulled into a gas station and checked the oil. Nothing was on the dipstick. Added a quart. Nothing. Added another quart. Nothing. I finally had oil appear on the dipstick after adding another 1/2 quart. (I ran the engine and checked the oil after each addition) It took 3 full quarts to bring it up to normal oil level. On the 'Oil Life Remaining' information panel it says 12%. So, less than 3000 miles and the truck needed 3 quarts of oil. Something is definitely wrong! I am going to look into this and report back.

- , Minneapolis, MN, USA

May 102014

Silverado LT 5.3L

Ok so I get the truck back at 5 pm on a Friday afternoon. I am told to drive 500 miles and bring it back so they can check the oil consumption which tells me they are not sure they actually fixed the problem. I drive about 50 miles and the dash says low oil, stop engine!!! Are you kidding me!!!! we limp back home and on Monday am I call the dealership and now I m pissed off. I actually ask for a regional manager and they give me the 1-866 Chevy customer service number. I tell them that I need it towed and I need a loaner. They say their one loaner truck is out but to bring it in anyway. I tell them absolutely not! I will not be inconvenienced any more or get stuck at the dealership (which is way out in the country). Tuesday am I call again and a service assistant manager states that wed am they will have a used truck from the lot with a dealer plate and loan it to me. Wed am I call and the story changed. They said they are sure it is just a gauge and I will be in a and out so no loaner is needed. I was told to bring it in right away but i refused unless they had a truck for me to drive. Then they said why do you need a truck? Seriously, now I have to explain why I want a vehicle to drive that is the same as the piece of sh*t one that is broken? UH NO WAY. I called Chevy and put in a claim and told them i don't want it back until this is settled. On Friday the dealership loaned me a truck and Chevy had it towed in. I have not heard back yet.

- , Cato, NY, USA

May 052014

Silverado LT 5.3L

Ok, so this truck should be good right, I mean after all you pay 45,000 for a truck it should run with no problems for a while right? I guess that is no longer a Chevy concern, its really too bad American made products are such pieces of sh*t nowadays. So in end of March (after the truck being in the shop in Jan) the engine light comes on again with the service stabilitrack light as well , same symptoms, as many times before. I am finishing up my semester at school, and working a lot of overtime. SO I park the truck and pull out my mustang to drive until I can get the truck to the dealership. I finally have it towed into the dealership and they start by blaming me and accusing me of not doing routine oil changes. I said "are u kidding? I am a single mom, depend on my truck, and I paid 45,000 and owe nothing on this truck. I baby it and take very good care of it." after receiving the proof of maintenance, they are baffled as to why I have no oil yet again!! I had to get a ride home and back to the dealership which inconvenienced my friends. This time the solution was to change out the pistons. At this point I realize that they really don't know what the problem is and are just fixing the parts that are affected by the real culprit. They had the truck for a week.

- , Cato, NY, USA

Oct 032011

Silverado LT 5.3L V8

At 33890 miles this truck started using oil. The dealer where I purchased the truck has performed all of the required maintenance. The truck is using up to 2 quarts of oil in between oil changes. I have the oil changed every 5000 miles and I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. The dealer has performed the recommended fix under TSB01-06-01-011G. Per the TSB the accepted rate of oil consumption is 1 quart in 2000 miles. I do not use the vechile for a business, only personal use and most of the mileage is on the road. I do not tow a trailer or carry excessive loads in the truck . THE TRUCK FOULED A PLUG AT 46506 MILES. I have contacted GM Customer Relations and they are standing on the TSB that 1 quart every 2000 miles is acceptable and I do not have a problem. I feel that using this much oil is a problem. This has really turned me against buying another Chevrolet. I have owned Chevys in the past and had no problems. Maybe "Government Motors" GM has a problem with this engine ? Does anyone recommend a further course of action ?

- , North Charleston, SC, USA