2010 Chevrolet Silverado engine problems: excessive oil consumption

Excessive Oil Consumption

2010 Chevrolet Silverado

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

9.3

2010 Chevrolet Silverado engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Silverado:

2010 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

May 102014

Silverado LT 5.3L

Ok so I get the truck back at 5 pm on a Friday afternoon. I am told to drive 500 miles and bring it back so they can check the oil consumption which tells me they are not sure they actually fixed the problem. I drive about 50 miles and the dash says low oil, stop engine!!! Are you kidding me!!!! we limp back home and on Monday am I call the dealership and now I m pissed off. I actually ask for a regional manager and they give me the 1-866 Chevy customer service number. I tell them that I need it towed and I need a loaner. They say their one loaner truck is out but to bring it in anyway. I tell them absolutely not! I will not be inconvenienced any more or get stuck at the dealership (which is way out in the country). Tuesday am I call again and a service assistant manager states that wed am they will have a used truck from the lot with a dealer plate and loan it to me. Wed am I call and the story changed. They said they are sure it is just a gauge and I will be in a and out so no loaner is needed. I was told to bring it in right away but i refused unless they had a truck for me to drive. Then they said why do you need a truck? Seriously, now I have to explain why I want a vehicle to drive that is the same as the piece of sh*t one that is broken? UH NO WAY. I called Chevy and put in a claim and told them i don't want it back until this is settled. On Friday the dealership loaned me a truck and Chevy had it towed in. I have not heard back yet.

- , Cato, NY, USA

May 052014

Silverado LT 5.3L

Ok, so this truck should be good right, I mean after all you pay 45,000 for a truck it should run with no problems for a while right? I guess that is no longer a Chevy concern, its really too bad American made products are such pieces of sh*t nowadays. So in end of March (after the truck being in the shop in Jan) the engine light comes on again with the service stabilitrack light as well , same symptoms, as many times before. I am finishing up my semester at school, and working a lot of overtime. SO I park the truck and pull out my mustang to drive until I can get the truck to the dealership. I finally have it towed into the dealership and they start by blaming me and accusing me of not doing routine oil changes. I said "are u kidding? I am a single mom, depend on my truck, and I paid 45,000 and owe nothing on this truck. I baby it and take very good care of it." after receiving the proof of maintenance, they are baffled as to why I have no oil yet again!! I had to get a ride home and back to the dealership which inconvenienced my friends. This time the solution was to change out the pistons. At this point I realize that they really don't know what the problem is and are just fixing the parts that are affected by the real culprit. They had the truck for a week.

- , Cato, NY, USA

Oct 032011

Silverado LT 5.3L V8

At 33890 miles this truck started using oil. The dealer where I purchased the truck has performed all of the required maintenance. The truck is using up to 2 quarts of oil in between oil changes. I have the oil changed every 5000 miles and I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. The dealer has performed the recommended fix under TSB01-06-01-011G. Per the TSB the accepted rate of oil consumption is 1 quart in 2000 miles. I do not use the vechile for a business, only personal use and most of the mileage is on the road. I do not tow a trailer or carry excessive loads in the truck . THE TRUCK FOULED A PLUG AT 46506 MILES. I have contacted GM Customer Relations and they are standing on the TSB that 1 quart every 2000 miles is acceptable and I do not have a problem. I feel that using this much oil is a problem. This has really turned me against buying another Chevrolet. I have owned Chevys in the past and had no problems. Maybe "Government Motors" GM has a problem with this engine ? Does anyone recommend a further course of action ?

- , North Charleston, SC, USA