2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Oct 062016

Silverado 1500

Complete brake failure on a busy Suburban street. I was intending to stop for a red light and had no brakes. Pedal went to the floor. No collison. Truck needed to be towed to repair shop. Cost was $872.73.

- Prior Lake, MN, USA

Sep 262016

Silverado 1500

We just purchased a used 2002 Chevy Silverado on 9/25, took it for a safety inspection and was told that the brake lines had burst and brake fluid was leaking. These repairs are going to be very expensive and I feel that GM should cover the cost of the repairs, since there are hundreds of problems with the brake lines on vehicles of this year/make/model.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

Jul 092016

Silverado 1500

Travelling from pa to cape hatteras, nc. Total brake failure of all 4 wheels in bumper to bumper traffic on us 158 S bypass in kill devil hills. Managed to swerve onto right berm grassy area and shift to low and use hand brake to stop. Had two children in the back seat. One was a 2 year old. Had to drive 42 miles with no brakes to reach destination. Mechanic in rodanthe had to replace all brake lines and master cylinder. Brake lines were totally rusted out. If this would have happened on I-95 at 70 mph we would probably all have been killed.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Feb 012016

Silverado 1500

Fuel and break lines completely rusted out. Fuel line broke while replacing fuel filter. Necessitated replacement of entire fuel line system. Break line broke while driving around same time losing all breaking functions. Needed to turn off road and kill motor to stop. All break lines need replacement. I spent $2500 fixing.

- Mukilteo, WA, USA

Aug 062016

Silverado 1500

I was pulling my 2000 lb boat to the lake sat. With my 2002 Silverado 1500. I made it to the launch ramp ok but when I went to launch the boat I couldn't stop rolling down the ramp [ no brakes) I was only able to save the truck from becoming a submarine by throwing it in drive and hitting the gas. I drove into the parking lot to find the brake line rusted out. Had this happened at highway speeds it would have been catastrophic. I read online about the issues with the lines and the fact there was a backup. Trust me when I say while pulling a boat it would have never stopped me. I've had cars longer this this in my 40+ years of driving any never had a brake line fail from rust. I would have liked a heads up on this issue as I've seen it to be a problem in multiple years. Needless to say I'm disappointed again by GM by not at least giving the owners a heads up. And I'm thanking god for my wife and I not being injured on a simple fishing trip. Shame on you guys. If it wasn't an issue you wouldn't have changed the lines on later model cars. Just one more push to make me look at other vehicle manufacturers. Greg klocke

- St Charles, MO, USA

Mar 012016

Silverado 1500

Brake lines and fuel lines are very rusted also the drive shaft and ABS bracket 2 brake lines have rusted through while driving the truck has only about 100,000 miles it is very dangerous

- St Louis, MO, USA

Aug 042016

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While attempting to engage the brakes, the brake pedal sank to the floorboard. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the brake lines fractured due to corrosion and caused the brake fluid to leak. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 156,412. Updated 10/06/16

- Coshocton, OH, USA

Jul 192016

Silverado 1500

I was driving on the highway and had to stop, the brake pedal goes to the floor with hardly any brakes.I had to go on the right side of the road to avoid major crash. Was very shocked and heart was racing. I never had that happen before in all the years I have been driving. I managed to make it home by using lower gears and emergency brake to stop. When I finally got home I looked to see what the heck was going on and saw that my brake lines had corroded thru and the fluid was coming out. I went on line to see if there was any others with this problem and saw there were many, many complaints about this issue. I called several places and the cost to replace all my brake lines was around 1200 - 1700. I ended up getting them replaced for $1600. This should not happen. I have owed many vehichles over the years in this same area and have never ever had to replace a brake line. I think this should be a major recall before anyone dies. There must be faulty metal being used in these and needs to be stainless steel. I would like to be reimbursed for the $1600 I had to spend on these faulty brake lines. They need to do a recall or let people know about this problem and reimburse them for the repairs.

- Williamsport, MD, USA

Jul 182016

Silverado 1500

Brake line are rusting and failing. I was driving in the city and the pedal went to the floor when I applied the brakes. This is the second line to fail from rust and the other 3 look very rusty.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Jul 012016

Silverado 1500

The fuel lines rust away and start leaking fuel badly. All lines have to be replaced. The rust on this truck is unbelievable. GM will not stand behind the product. The rocker panels all rusted out as well. The frame is rusting out. These truck are just rust buckets

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 132016

Silverado 1500

1st incident - vehicle in motion at low speed, anti-lock brakes activate and prevent vehicle from stopping, ran into garage door 2nd incident - after 1st incident, car shop replaced ABS module. Same situation. Vehicle in motion at low speed, anti-lock brakes activate and prevent vehicle from stopping, ran into car in parking lot.

- Clinton, MS, USA

Dec 012015

Silverado 1500

One of the rear brakes stopped working while driving.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 012016

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while driving at 2 mph, the low speed ABS engagement increased the stopping distance and the contact could not stop the vehicle. The contact almost crashed into the garage door but was able to stop the vehicle before a crash occurred. The contact released the brake pedal and re-applied pressure to the pedal in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,652. Updated 07/12/16

- Wallingford, VT, USA

Feb 222016

Rusty brakelines

- Pahoa, HI, USA

May 152015

Silverado 1500

I purchased the truck from the dealer, with 230,000 miles on shortly after purchase as I braked to stop the peddle would stiffen and purr... and the vehicle would not stop, running intersections and parking spots. Causing near accidents. II learned this was related to brake antilock system. Dealer said they done the recall procedure to clean sensors and avoided any further concerne expressed. I checked with other dealers who had the same denial reaction, the initial dealer had done checks to all chasis and componant checks, I noticed a mild growl when in four wheel drive but drove well otherwise. I inspected the wheel sensors and they were clean I learned the reluctor ring which triggers the sensors are within the front wheel bearings I had one oil service done by another garage who did a 21 point check but neglected to tell me of the apparent wear. After about fifteen months the left front wheel bearing began to fail while driving causing a extreme growl, I then had it checked by a service garage who clearly idenified the evident wear on both front wheel bearings, I had the bearings both changed along with a lower ball joint along with both front axle shafts, due to mild leaking boots. This them stopped the hard peddle and brake failure when stopping. The dealer knew of the wear and ignored the danger. The dealer should not be allowed to sell a vehicle in this condition. The truck does drive well now. But I still have a very mild growl in the left front, but with the axles new the noise is coming from the drive case, only when in four wheel drive. ( while the brake problem existed I adjusted my driving practice and limited my use of vehicle.)

- Withee, WI, USA

Jan 262016

Silverado 1500

Excessive corrosion on brake and fuel lines. Had a metal line blow out near rear driver side wheel causing driver to have to use transmission and holding parking brake release handle while using E-brake while steering with one hand. Upon splicing in a section of replacement tubing, I noticed the fuel return line from the engine to the tank is corroded severely too. I had a section of fuel line fall apart upon replacing a fuel filter and spliced in a rubber fuel hose with clamps to get a fuel filter replaced. When the fuel lines rupture, there is a chance of fire from the exhaust or hot brake drums. Was advised by mechanic that I need to sell truck as it has 18-24 months left without proper and expensive repairs being made. Rarely gets underbody wash as a quality wash is far away and was advised that the rust is probably holding it together and advised not to knock off any more rust as it would accelerate further corrosion. Was advised a waste of time to use rust reformer or undercoating. I noticed this stationary as the vevicle was making squeaking sounds from the rear axle hub on driver side (same line that blew) and figured hanging caliper so I did a full brake pedal press and felt the pedal get spongy and drop another 1" toward floor. I opened door, hung out looking under truck and pressed pedal again to see fluid pouring from rear axle area. Drove it 30 miles with no service brakes to get to the garage using only E-brake and 3,2,1 and neutral range of transmission to be able to stop if needed. Also was advised about fuel tank strap and that I would need a flame cutter to change the fuel pump as truck bed bolts looked horrible or would need to cut tank straps depending on how much fuel is in the tank. The "annual underbody wash" most owners manuals recommend is insufficient to prevent this problem.

- Miamisburg, OH, USA

Feb 032016

Silverado 1500

Corrosion and failure of metal brake line directly below left front door. Very poor design as tubes are behind a double loop of chassis wiring causing buildup of dirt and moisture resulting in premature failure. Failed when backing out of the driveway and thank god I was not on the road

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Oct 012015

Silverado 1500

While approaching a stop sign I applied the brakes and the pedal went to the floor. No warning of any kind. Lucky for me no traffic was coming.

- Felton, PA, USA

Jan 142016

Silverado 1500

Brake lines rustd out. Making my truck loose brake fluid and had to be replace, . serious problem, lucky I did no have an accident. Rust etc, all over the rest of the brake system, very costly, $$$$$, I was driving down a street slowly.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Dec 222015

Silverado 1500

Chevy rust. Brake lines rusted out completely and failed - happen at slow speed no one injured. Shackled broke off and hit bottom of bed without towing. Frame is rusted out. Neighbor has similar vehicle with same problems (put jack on frame and it went through the frame.) many complaints online about these very issues.

- Utica, NY, USA