2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Sep 282011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

Battery went dead and I exchange with a new one. The air conditioner is blowing hot air. The air conditioner and all the electrical was working fine when the pickup was last driven which was about 3 weeks ago. I have been told that parts and labor will be in the $500.

- Irvine, KY, USA

Apr 012011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

My truck as dual ac controls, while driving the driver side air blows hot air while air conditioner is on. If you turn the truck off and then back on it fixes the problem for sometime 2min and sometimes 30 min. I know multiple people that have the same problem as me, I have seen hundreds of people on forums that have the same problem with the same truck and others such as the Tahoe, Avalanche, Suburban of same year and different years. Some forums that I have read stated that the truck could catch fire, I am very concerned about the situation, most people say that the parts to fix the problem are around $500 - $700, but this is occurring in hundreds if not thousands of GM vehicles.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Oct 012010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Defective cd players. Will not eject cd and this is a problem for almost all cd players in the 03-06 models. I personally know 4 people with this problem, and there are thousands of reports in forums on the internet.

- Shelby, NC, USA

Aug 202011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Noticed electrical burning odor while on long trip on interstate. Occasionally operated the air conditioning, with blower on high. One week later, blower motor failed to operate on highest (5) setting. Pulled 7 pin connector from blower resistor, found red wire and connector for high speed, burned/melted.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jan 262011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that the heater fan resistor melted. The dealer diagnosed that the wiring harness needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure was not remedied. The failure mileage was 100,000. The current mileage was 105,000. Updated 09/28/11 the consumer stated there was no fire, but the insulation had melted off of the wiring going into the resistor on the HVAC fan. Updated 12/30/11

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Oct 012008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated the wiring harness connected to the blower motor became hot and began to melt. A private mechanic repaired the resistor in October 2008; however, the failure occurred again. In January 2011, the contact had the wiring harness and the resistor qa replaced by a private mechanic since he smelled a burning odor and had to disconnect the wiring harness in order to protect it from melting. The dealer nor manufacturer were notified. The current mileage was 119,000. The approximate failure was 80,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Imperial , MO, USA

May 272011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

Blower motor speed controller resistor and relay wiring melted smell of smoke and electrical arcing damaged wiring and connectors causing danger to occupants from possible fire. Blower runs with key off and fuse pulled out. Battery dead, standing driver. Economic ham from cost to repair by ripoff GM dealer refused to cover under the special offer warranty.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Jun 022011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. I smelled burned plastic and my fan stopped working on #4 and #5 settings. I removed the resistor and saw the connections had overheated and melted.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Dec 102008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I was driving along when the cab filled with smoke and a burning plastic smell. I saw smoke come from under the passenger side dashboard. The blower motor resistor harness had caught fire. I was able to put it out with damage to only the harness and resistor. It was replaced under the extended warranty I had purchased from GM. Fast forward to May 9, 2010 and 50,000 miles later, the same thing happened and GM corporate told me there was nothing they could do even though this same model vehicle has been recalled in Canada for the same problem. I was quoted $300 for the repair. On May 10.2010, my dealer called and said he received an E-mail from GM stating that GM was in the process of offering a 10 year 150,000 mile warranty on the blower motor and harness repair. Have not received any notice from GM yet but dealer said they would fix it no charge.

- Sparta, NJ, USA

Dec 102008

- Sparta, NJ, USA

May 012011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 6-cyl

The problem is the fan on GM trucks burns out. We were told by the service dept that the wires were burned up and that this required more parts and service. Needed resistor, connector and blower to repair. This is a potential fire hazard which is not being addressed by GM. Apparently this is an issue that many vehicle owners have experienced but since no one has been killed I guess there is not reason to mandate a recall. We were told by the service dept. That many vehicles are being brought in for service because of this problem. This should be looked into. Our vehicle has 38,000 miles. We have a friend who lives in NJ that had the same problem within a year of purchasing his new truck.

- Falling Waters, WV, USA

Mar 082009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that the instrument cluster failed. And he was unable to read the fuel gauge, speedometer or any other gauge on the instrument panel. The contact spoke with the manufacturer and was told that the instrument cluster would only last for 80,000 miles. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 85,000. Updated 04/07/11

- St. Louis , MO, USA

Feb 052011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

2005 Chevy Silverado 1500. After my vehicle was towed the speedometer stopped working. It reads 16 mph while stopped and stays 16 mph over whatever speed I'm traveling. Chevy needs to do something about this. Too many people are have the same issue.

- Wonderland, GA, USA

Sep 162010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I also have a 2005 Silverado an the speedometer is stuck at 120 it has gone down as far as 60 but when you drive it pegs out and remains there. There were no warnings just happened around 82,000 now at 86,000 and 6,000 miles out of warranty. I feel that this is a safety hazard because I don't know my speed but I am lucky enough to have been given a gps to do that. I looked at GM website but they say I am over mileage for repair and I don't have the money for the repairs myself an feel this should be remedied by the manufacturer since it is a well know problem of theirs and this defective equipment.

- Keystone Heights, FL, USA

Jan 152011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

1. speedometer stopped working creating unsafe driving condition. 2. appears to be permanent breakage. 3. GM agreed to replace faulty part, but I still had to pay for labor. They agreed that the part is faulty yet still hold the customer financially accountable for their unsafe mistake.

- Stillwater, OK, USA

Jan 112011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

Speedometer not showing correct speed.

- Vevay, IN, USA

Jan 072011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 6-cyl

2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 pick-up. Odometer failure. Dealer wants $475.warranty per dealer not available as mileage too high.

- Cambridge, MA, USA

Dec 052010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Silverado gauge cluster is defective and is malfunctioning at 75,000 miles on the vehicle. Creates an inability to determine speed or operation accuracy of the vehicle. No notice from GM concerning recall. My research indicates multiples of this defect occurring nationwide.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Nov 072010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while driving the speedometer displayed an inaccurate speed on the instrumental panel. The vehicle had not been inspected by a dealer or repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 55,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Nov 172010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 6-cyl

Last week I smelled something burning in my truck. Investigated and found insulation was melting off heater blower wires at plug under dash. Three of the wires had a half inch of exposed conductor showing at pigtail. At same time, my heater fan switch quit working at the two highest speed settings. After researching this problem on internet, I had to replace blower resistor and wire pigtail. Fan switch works now, but vent selector switch doesn't work now. Melted wires could have caused truck to catch on fire. I have old resistor and melted pigtail.

- Spokane, WA, USA