2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 7 of 9)

Nov 112013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 hd (2006) was purchased new, from gengras Chevrolet-585 Connecticut blvd.- East hartford, ct. 06108- telephone # 860-528-2575. Brake line ruptured due to corrosion, fortunately, vehicle was being operated at a slow speed (25) mph. Upon inspection of under the vehicle, I was appalled at the condition of brake lines, fittings, brackets and related components. The rust on the underside including the frame was such that it could be flaked off in 1/16" thick chunks. This truck has only 9028 miles, what kind of auto industry do we have !!!!! ? I was made aware of this corrosion problem (that Chevrolet is aware of) by a local auto mechanic that this corrosion problem was in primarily (2004-2005-2006) Silverado. The materials GM is using to cause these problems is a disgusting sample of our manufacturing system. This vehicle was parked outdoors (on a asphalt driveway). The repairs for this situation are in line with the poor quality materials that were used, I was informed that the body of the truck bed had to be removed (lifted-off) to access brake lines and get this, the fuel line is also in the same location, might be suspect to corrosion. The cost of these repairs is off the charts. (who is responsible for these design flaws). As an american, who advocates buying domestic vehicles, I wonder who is watching what is going on. I hope someone of authority reads this and acts on it, before it is to late for all of us. Remember, this vehicle has (9028) miles on it, and experiencing these problems. Yes, that is correct (9028) miles !!!!!!!!!!

- Cromwell, CT, USA

Nov 092013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl Diesel

Complete brake failure due to brake line defect / leak. Repair estimate from dealership $2800+.

- New Hartford, CT, USA

Sep 172013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

My truck has a serious rust problem. I was driving from Pennsylvania to buffalo when my brake line snapped "spewing brake fluid all over"on the highway while driving at 65mph. At the dealer I was showed that not only where my brake lines rotted but everything involving the brakes "calipers, rotors, pads " fuel lines, frame control arms, everything under the truck, which was bought new. The brake pads, calipers & rotors were replaced by my mechanic at 25,000 with parts bought by GM. My truck is in excellent shape from what you can see & is garage kept.from what I see this is a common problem with GM trucks from 2000-2012.

- Milford, PA, USA

Oct 162013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Stepped on the brakes, the brake pedal went to the floor. I was fortunately able to exit the road and, upon inspection, saw fluid leaking from a heavily corroded front left brake line. I had to have both front brake lines replaced by the dealer at a very significant cost. I have N ever had a corroded brake line on any other vehicle. I believe GM should take responsibility for this problem ? it is a safety issue caused by the use of inferior materials or improper brake line placement/layout.

- Indian Harbour Beach, FL, USA

Oct 112013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

I was going back to my job location after leaving a training class. Applied brakes as I approached a stop sign. Brake pedal had no resistance and went to the floor. Luckily, I was on school district property so the speed limit was 15. Was able to get to my local mechanic who found a ruptured brake line. He also informed me that all brake lines were rusted and while he could not say another one will rupture tomorrow, he felt to be safe they should all be replaced. We tow a camper with this truck and while I know the camper's brakes will stop the truck, some of the campground we visit are mountain campgrounds with steep grades and when we leave the campground to do something (example: Go out to eat), not knowing if the truck brakes will work is not very comforting.

- Middletown, PA, USA

Oct 052013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Upon driving home on my street my brake pedal went to the floor. Have break line corroded and leaking below driver side door. Was able to stop safely as I was on a residential road with a low speed limit.

- Allenstown, NH, USA

Sep 302013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

While driving at 10 mph the rear brakes failed. Upon investigation it was found that the rear brake line had rusted out at the connection to the splitter located on frame above the rear axle.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Sep 202013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I was driving on the highway, and approaching a red light, stepped on the brakes. Upon doing so, the brake pedal went to the floor. I was able to pump the pedal, and drive into the next parking lot. I walked around to the rear of the truck, where I saw a puddle of brake fluid. I looked under the truck, and saw the fluid leaking from a heavily corroded brake line. When I got the truck home, I did a more thorough inspection, and discovered that all the brake lines were heavily corroded, and would need replacement. I ordered an aftermarket, pre-bent stainless line kit. I took the truck to a local mechanic who was able to replace the leaking line, and a few others, but was unable to replace the lines going into the ABS module due to their location on top of the frame, under the cab. I am able to drive the truck now, but will need to find another mechanic who is willing to separate the cab from the frame to replace the rest of the lines. I have owned many vehicles over the years, and none have ever had a corroded brake line. The last truck I owned was a 1993 Chevy Silverado, which I had for 15 years, and racked up 300,000 miles, with no brake or fluid line issues, and driven in the same northeast climate as the 2006 Silverado. Judging by the amount of complaints I have read online, describing the same problem I am experiencing, I believe GM should take responsibility for the repairs. This problem is a safety issue caused by what I believe to be the use of inferior materials.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Sep 102013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Every brake gas and cooling line rusted. I have looked at other vehicles of same year and miles different makes. No where as rusted as my 06 Silverado.

- Johnston, RI, USA

Sep 192013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 6-cyl

Returning home, I approached a 4-way stop at about 40 mph. Attempted to stop, only limited brakes. Gearing down and defensive driving necessary to avoid accident at intersection. Able to complete short distance home where I inspected brakes and uncovered rusted and leaking break lines. Vehicle with less than 90,000 miles. Extremely dangerous and GM/NHTSA should be ashamed that a recall has not been initiated. Only a matter of time before someone is not as lucky as me and other complainants.

- Inwood, WV, USA

Sep 182013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

While driving I went to stop at intersection and the brake pedal went to the floor, and I used parking brake to stop.I got out and there was brake fluid all over, I carefully drove home,1/2 mile and checked out truck and the brake lines were all rusted and leaking. I tried to fix with new parts but after fixing it would leak in another spot. I have to replace all brake lines to be safe. I think that GM should have to have a recall on these brake lines. Thanks

- Pine Bush, NY, USA

Sep 122013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving, the brakes failed to stop in a timely manner. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 21,000.

- Campell Hall , NY, USA

Sep 092013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

All front brake lines below the drivers seat rusted through. A complete loss of brakes was experienced.

- Long Beach, MS, USA

Sep 072013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

My wife was driving my truck a 2006 Silverado and said the brake light came on so I filled it up didn't think much of it did a quick look didn't see anything 2 weeks later she said it was on again so I filled it up again and this time did a thorough inspection checked the master cylinder, booster started checked each caliper and nothing so I got under the truck and its leaking from the middle of the truck under the drivers seat the brake lines are all rusty. I do all of my work on my cars but this looks ridiculous where do you start rip them all out and replace all" they are on top of the frame rail which look impossible to get to it looks like its going to be a lot of money is there a recall for this" I hope some can help me out the truck is very clean especially underneath that's the only thing rusted out of everything.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Aug 292013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

While pulling into a store parking lot the brakes gave out, causing the brake pedal to go straight to the floor. Upon inspection I noticed a brake line completely rotted going to the rear splitter near the frame and electrical harness. The rest of the line seems perfectly intact so this section of line should not have deteriorated. After researching this issue, I found that this is a huge problem for Chevy owners. I hope that this issue is looked into and a resolution is found before someone is injured or worse. Incidentally, my wife was driving with my children when this incident occurred.

- Hawley , PA, USA

Oct 012012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while attempting to decelerate, the brakes failed to function properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the brake sensor had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 10/17/13 a mechanic informed the consumer that dust and salt made its way into the sensors which caused them to corrode and they were not reading correctly.

- Dubuque, IA, USA

Aug 182013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Lost brakes, repair shop found brake line rusted thru and all the lines were rusted and needed to be replaced !

- Whiteford, MD, USA

Aug 172013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Brake lines rusted through and lost brake power. Brake fluid all over due to the lines rupturing. Absolutely unacceptable!!!!!! huge safety issue.

- Johnsonburg , NJ, USA

Jul 152013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Coming up to traffic signal and brake pedal went to the floor. Brake line rusted out. Stopped by slamming it into 1st gear and using the parking brake. Very dangerous!

- Fallston, MD, USA

Jun 222013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Brake line has completely deteriorated and leaking and should be recalled. Recently had to replace wheel speed sensors as well.

- Lucasville, OH, USA