2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Nov 072016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Brake hydraulic metal pipe failed to right front wheel, brake pedal went to floor. Vehicle was stopped by downshifting and using park brake. This occurred at low speed in city traffic. No accident occurred.

- Monrovia, MD, USA

Sep 222016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

While traveling at highway speed the breaks were applied to stop for a red light, the front break line broke and the breaking petal went to the floor. The breaks were then pumped but there was no real reduction in speed allowing the truck to travel thru the intersection at a high rate of speed thru the red light. The truck did eventually come to a stop with the continued pumping of the breaks

- Queenstown, MD, USA

Aug 062016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The brakes went to the floor and completely failed; through the intersection we went. I was able to use the emergency brake to slow and then stop the truck. Somehow, we were able to avoid an accident. I was able to get the truck the rest of the way home using the emergency brake. The brake fluid reservoir was full, but I could see fluid leaking under the truck from the frame area near the driver's door. Looking under the truck, I noticed the brake lines were rusted; every brake line on the truck was rusted. Looking on-line, I noticed I wasn┐T the only one with this problem. I ordered a complete set of stainless steel brake lines. We had the truck towed the truck to the Chevy dealer ($200). They replaced every brake line on the truck as well as the front calipers ($2100). The dealer did a great job; $1600 of the cost was for labor.

- Gambrills, MD, USA

Jun 182016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

All brake lines rusted out under cab on drivers side busted when stoping at stop sign

- Pulaski, VA, USA

Jun 042016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Was traveling approximately 55 mph down a state highway. After coming around a blind curve, came upon stopped traffic due to road work. Applied pressure to brake pedal when pedal went soft and depressed all the way to the floor. After releasing brakes and pushing again still had no brakes. Had to swerve out of road-way to avoid rear ending multiple vehicles. After running out of road, hit 2 culvert pipes along with road work signage, finally bringing the truck to a stop in a residential yard. Truck brake lines for front brakes had corroded and ruptured causing the incident. Further investigation into this matter shows an apparent issue with this model gms for brake line corrosion that GM has failed to address through the recall process.

- Dillwyn, VA, USA

May 142016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Parked vehicle in driveway, moved it about three feet and braked. The pedal went to the floor. Looked under the truck and found a large puddle of brake fluid coming from a rusted through brake line. Upon further inspection the others were in the same state. Lucky this didn't happen with family onboard while driving on a roadway, could have resulted in a terrible accident.

- Norton Shores, MI, USA

May 122016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Rusted/ruptured brake line in 2012 while braking at an intersection - swirved to miss a vehicle. Pulling out of driveway in 2016 another line ruptured. Vehicle undercarrage washed after each winter but excessive rust on all parts and frame. Both incidents with low miles [20K & 30K] on a lightly used vehicle.

- Revere, MA, USA

Mar 302016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Brake lines are rusting away. I noticed a soft brake pedal, on my way back to St. Louis from atlanta, ga. I noticed fluid under the truck in my driveway after I got home. I started looking around the truck. The master cylinder was low on fluid. No warning light came on. I noticed fluid under the drivers side door. It was brake fluid coming from a rusted thru brake line. After inspection, all of the other brake lines were badly rusted. The repair(reichers auto and tire-Washington, mo) shop is replacing all of the brake lines due to heavy rust. Cost is going to be over $800.

- Labadie, MO, USA

Mar 242016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Rear brake line rusted completely through during normal driving operation which resulted in a brake fluid spill and reduced braking capacity of the vehicle. Vehicle was on a city street turning onto a highway when the incident happened. Further inspection found that all brake lines on the vehicle had extensive corrosion and had to be replaced. Vehicle had 120,000 miles on it with no accident history.

- East Dubuque, IL, USA

Jan 042016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Brake pedal went to floor on rural road. Able to stop by downshifting and running off road. Brake lines had rotted out. During this repair it was found that gas line had also rotted and was leaking. Total cost of repairs, nearly $2,000

- Stonington, CT, USA

Jan 262016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Rusted brake line resulting in total brake failure while driving and attempting to stop

- Clifton, VA, USA

Jan 302016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Driving to work today the metal brake line under the driver door burst leaving me with very little stopping power. This is the second time this line has failed.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Jan 162016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

As I come to a stop, the brake pedal pulsates from ABS activation increasing braking time and distance. The ground is dry while this happens. After a while the and light comes on. Was told by a dealer mechanic it was a bad ABS sensor and to replace hub. I did and now, two years later, it is happening again. Now I'm being told it is a problem with elements in my area, being in a snowbelt state, getting into wheel speed sensor and blocking signal. Same exact symptoms as last time, different diagnosis. Neither time did they plug into my truck for codes. Both times, I have to open my wallet for faulty products.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Nov 152015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving 35 mph and attempting to decrease in speed, the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard and failed to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 86,642.

- Georgetown, DE, USA

Oct 082015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

This vehicle has had multiple brake issues since new. First off, it goes through front brake pads and rotors too frequently. First replaced around 25K and again around 60K. This vehicle has mostly been used for long highway trips, NY to fl etc., not around town. Used in rural area. Next, several brakes lines have burst and had to be replaced. The last incident luckily was in my driveway. Having dual brake cylinders on these trucks does not seem to help if a brake line bursts. I needed the emergency brake to stop it on almost flat ground. A recurring problem is with the ABS. Evidently they rust easily, especially in salt belt states, then corrosion on the sensor and hub causes it to activate for no reason. It does not activate the computer control or give warning. It happens intermittently. I had to have one front hub replaced in 2013 and another in 2014. Now I am having to replace one of those again with the dealer recommending to replace both. The cost is over $750 per side. There were recalls on previous year models but not 2006. This is ridiculous and the brake line issue has been going on with Chevrolet for a very long time. I had to replace most lines on my 1996 Silverado. I can't believe that nhsta allows this to go on year after year. Nothing is more important than braking, nothing!

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Nov 012015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I have a home in the hills of West Virginia and had just returned from town after driving up and down local mountain roads. I parked in the driveway without incident. When I started the truck to move it in driveway and pressed on the brake peddle, the peddle went completely to the floor and I was totally without brakes. Luckily, I was on a flat surface and used my emergency brake to stop vehicle. When I stepped on the brakes again, I noticed a stream of brake fluid squirting out from the area under the driver side door. Upon further investigation I realized that one of the brake lines along the frame had failed due to corrosion. Only one of the 4 brake lines had failed, however, the entire braking system was rendered completely inoperable. Absolutely no redundant braking available, except for the emergency brake. If this happened while drive on the highway or down the mountain, it could have been catastrophic. The truck has no visible body or frame corrosion. How could the the safety-critical brake lines corrode when the rest of the vehicle is in good shape rust-wise? seems GM has used sub-standard brake lines in the vehicle. I have researched this issue and it is a well-documented problem that GM knows about and should be required to address.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Nov 012015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Brake line rupture do to rusted lines, speed 45 mph no brakes at all and used emergency brake to finally stop on shoulder of road.. brake fluid under drives side door near the frame.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Oct 142015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Bake lines failed at 114874 miles. Had to replace bake lines. 10/14/2015. Had to use the parking bake to stop the truck. Luck I did not rack! thank god.

- Cleves, OH, USA

Sep 172015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

My vehicle with 57,000 miles had the brakes go out while driving without warning. I took it to a mechanic who said the front brake lines had rusted and broke. I have had the work completed. I feel this is a product defect for a low mileage vehicle. It is very well taken care of and has very few miles on it, and I have owned it since it was new. I have been in contact with Chevrolet and they will not provide me with any answers. They keep telling me to take it to a dealership, however the dealership has told me there is nothing they can do.

- Howell, MI, USA

Nov 122014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving approximately 35 mph, the brake pedal was depressed, but the vehicle hesitated to stop. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic replaced the brake system but the failure recurred. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Albany , GA, USA