2.9

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 112012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

I was driving my 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500, 4-door. I had my wife and two children in the truck. When we got to our destination, my daughter could not open her door (rear driver side door). I confirmed the doors were unlocked by using the automatic lock/unlock feature I have on the drivers door. I tried to open the door from the outside, but it would not work. I tried to manually unlock the door from the inside, but the door would still not open. I brought it to the dealership and they told me the electronic latch had to be replaced. The dealership also told me they have had a number of problems with the latches which prevented the door from opening. This is obviously a safety issue.

- San Carlos, CA, USA

Jan 232011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving approximately 10 mph, the engine stalled and the vehicle restarted. There were no prior warnings. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated there was a wire shortage underneath the dashboard area. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 08/31/11 the consumer also stated the rear passenger door fell off. Updated 09/01/11

- Sansaba , TX, USA

Jun 042011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

Was driving my 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd and turned on the air conditioner. I began to smell an odor similar to trash burning. I turned off the ac and turned on just the air fan at which time the truck cab filled with smoke. I was able to pull off the side of the road and contacted the fire department. The fan continued to fill the cab with smoke even though the ignition was off and the keys were removed. The incident did not stop until the fd disconnected the batteries from the truck. The vehicle was towed to a Chevrolet dealer and the problem was diagnosed as a short in air conditioner blower wiring harness which resulted in damage to the relay, they checked with the manufacturer to authorize repair under an extended warranty and told me it is not covered as it is an electrical malfunction.

- Norfolk, NY, USA

Nov 102010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado K1500. While driving approximately 25 mph, the contact noticed that the fuel gauge was providing inaccurate fuel levels and was reading that the fuel tank was empty. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician advised that the instrument cluster would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that they could not provide any assistance. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- International Falls, MN, USA

Jan 192011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

While driving my truck down the freeway, the engine light suddenly came on and a warning appeared on the dashboard stating "reduced engine power" and the truck shut itself down to 10 miles an hour in seconds. I had vehicles coming up behind me traveling at 60 mph and higher that nearly hit me from behind. Even if I floored the gas pedal the truck would not speed up making it extremely difficult to get out of the way of oncoming traffic. The local Chevy dealership had my truck 2 days and charged me $400 for an emissions part. I picked my truck up on Thursday evening, Jan. 20, 2011, and it broken down the very next morning with the same issue. I took it right back over there and they told me to return it on Monday Jan. 24 which I did. They returned the truck to me on weds. Jan. 26, and said they couldn't figure out the problem but may have been a loose wire. The truck broke down with the same issue again on Feb 14. The dealership had it another 3 days and said they soldered some connections. Again on March 10, my truck broke down again, same issue. They had my truck until March 14, and again charged me for replacing the wiring harness and throttle body. I picked my truck up at 6 pm mon March 14 and it already broke down again this morning March 16, same issue. On two occasions now I have had my kids in the back seat, driving on the freeway when the engine decides to shut itself down. No one at Chevy seems to care if we are injured or killed when we are hit due to this defective truck. I am not the only Chevy owner reporting this problem. Not only are there complaints all over the internet, but the dealership had another truck in at the same time as mine at the March 10 visit, with the exact same issue and it had already been in multiple times for the same issue as well.

- Corpus Chrisit, TX, USA

Oct 112010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The blower motor fan for the heat and A/C the wire connectors towards the passenger side under the dash glove box the wire is melting which is causing the fan not to work sometimes and you can smell it melting ( its the male and female connectors ) they plug into each other that's where its at. My truck is a 2006 Chevy Silverado ext.cab its gonna end up catching the truck on fire. Something needs to be done its GM responsibility to fix the problem.

- Shenandoah, PA, USA

Aug 012010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While parked, the contact noticed that all the lights on the instrument panel were not working. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics or repair. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Dec 082010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that as he started the vehicle, the check engine light was illuminated and there was an unusual increase in engine rpms. Then, all of the gauges on the instrument panel began fluctuating abnormally. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the technician advised the contact that the instrument cluster would need replacing. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 69,780. Updated 02/07/11 updated 02/14/11

- Macon, GA, USA

Aug 132010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Running the A/C smelled then saw smoke coming from under the dash on the passenger side. Blower quit working. Blower then stared working but only on speeds 1&3.

- Dripping Springs , TX, USA

Jun 032010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Loss of blower fan due to burnt/melted wiring harness & blower motor resister burning hot enough to cause a fire. Loss fan motor to A/C & heat. On line there are thousands of the same complaint. What is GM waiting for people to die before they do something about this.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Aug 232010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

While running air conditioner, I smelled smoke and then saw smoke come from under the passenger side dash. I turned off the blower and the smoke stopped. This is very unsafe. Could cost somebody their vehicle and life.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Aug 012010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The driver was traveling 30 mph and noticed smoke and flames coming from the hood. The contact was able to move the vehicle off the roadway. The police and fire department assisted with extinguishing the fire. A police report was available. The vehicle was towed to the nearest dealer. The dealer did not give specifics on what caused the fire, but stated that the failure was warranty issue and the vehicle was out of warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 10,000.

- Montvale, NJ, USA

Nov 152009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Wires to blower motor resistor burnt and resistor went out 38,000 miles. I replaced wire and connector also replaced blower motor resistor. At 48,000 miles blower motor resistor burnt out again this time the cab filled with smoke and I had to pull off road and let smoke clear out July 5 2010 both times I had blower motor on high.

- Crossville, TN, USA

Jul 272006

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Terrible smell and smoke noticed from under dash while using the ac on high. The air was still blowing but smoke stopped after I turned it off. I had to role down the windows quickly and pull over. I was nervous that the dash was on fire, but it seemed ok to drive to the dealer. Dealer reported that it was the blower motor resistor. Some research on the web, and on here, shows that it is a very common and expensive repair. Opinion of several, including me, is that this is a design defect that could result in a safety issue. The inhaled smoke definitely was not healthy either.

- Hope, IN, USA

Feb 082010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Whenever using the heater in my 2006 Chevy pick up truck you can smell strong burning smell coming from under the dash on pass side of truck. One night turned on heater while going down the road and could see floor board on pass side glowing orange and starting to smoke, had to pull over do to the smell of melting plastic and burning electrical tape. Heater and A/C no longer work so now have no defrost in the winter, can live without the A/C but could not melt the ice in the winter. Bought ac/delco pigtail connector replacement parts and rewired them to spec and turned on A/C and it works, only problem is the wires get so hot it burns your hand at the touch and you can smell the wire covering starting to melt again. It is my opinion that if left uncorrected my truck could catch fire if a heaver gage wire is not installed to maintain the current of the blower motor. My truck has 39000 miles ! ! !

- Lebanon, OH, USA

Jan 052008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I manage a fleet of vehicles for an electrical contractor. So far three 2006 Chevy trucks have had the fan control module, located under the dashboard in the passenger compartment, fail. Upon tracing the problem it was discovered that in each case the module had caught on fire, and even burned some of the wire in the wire harness. Nothing has been done so far to repair these trucks. The damaged parts are available.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Aug 242009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

2006 Chevrolet Silverado right front tire began to shake, smoke, and caught fire on the westbound of the Ohio turnpike. Ohio traffic crash report # 10-0769-91

- Niles, MI, USA

Jul 112009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

2006 Chevrolet 1500 dual air conditioner control blows heat on driver's side while blowing cold on passenger's side (even though the ac is set for both sides). Wiring harness has a short on the blower, which produces a burning smell.

- Ashdown, AR, USA

Jun 152009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, blower motor resistor connector overheated and melted the wiring harness and connector. Fire could have resulted. Have read online how fires have actually occurred. Need recall immediately.

- Gonzales, LA, USA

Oct 132008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that the air conditioning and heating failed, in addition to other electrical components. She noticed that the resistor connector and wiring harness were melted. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was unable to assist. The failure mileage was 45,000 and current mileage was 50,017.

- Kingsfield, MO, USA