2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Feb 102015

Silverado 2500

For the third time a brake line has rusted completely through and caused complete loss of control. It was located under the drivers seat above the frame. I had absolutely no brakes at 70 mph on hwy 5. I took it to a Chevy dealership and they told me it was not their problem. I am extremely concerned about the forth brake line that is complexly covered in rust. This is going to kill someone when it rusts through.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 182015

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Engine idler pulley seized causing serpentine belt to break which resulted in loss of power steering and loss of power brakes..2 local GM dealer parts department's stated this is common on the duramax diesel engine.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

Apr 252015

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Brake line rupture resulting in immediate brake failure without warning. Parallel parking a 2006 Silverado when we encountered a complete brake failure and nearly struck another parked vehicle. Brake petal depressed completely to the floor without warning. Steered truck toward curb to fully stop before striking other vehicle. Immediate inspection revealed brake line rupture on drivers side of vehicle in undercarriage area near back of drivers seat. Significant loss of brake fluid and complete brake failure. Fortunately traveling less than 5 mph - five minutes earlier we were traveling at speeds of 70 mph on interstate highway. This could have been a catastrophic event had it occurred on the interstate or the offramp. Vehicle passed a Virginia state safety inspection three weeks earlier. GM or NHTSA should warn GM owners to check their brake lines and also consider a recall.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Apr 222015

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

I was positioning my Chevy Silverado 2500 year 2006 to hook up my travel trailer rv. As I was backing up to line up the hitch to the rv ball the brake pedal went to the floor and I lost all braking. I had to put the gear shift in park to stop the slight roll. I looked under the truck and there was brake fluid all over my driveway where it had come out of a corroded brake line under the drivers seat. This truck only has 97,797 mile on it. I am very fortunate that the corroded brake line failed before I was able to hook up the rv and start driving, I could have had a serious accident that might have killed someone.

- Germantown, OH, USA

Mar 102015

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

While I was driving down the street my brakes when out. I was able to make it to my driveway to discover my brake line rutsted and there was a 1 cm hole in the brake line.

- Amelia, OH, USA

Apr 282013

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

On approx. 28 April 2013 after a 200 mile trip I was parking my truck when the brake line broke. I then used the emergency brake to stop the truck. At this time I made the necessary repairs to get us back home. Once there I responded to len stoler cheverolet in westminster md. Where I purchased the vehicle. I asked them if they could bleed the brakes, because I did not think I got all the air out of lines. At this time I was waiting in the waiting room when a service advisor came in and ask me to go into the shop because they wanted to show me something. When I arrived at my truck (which was on the lift) they stated the entire brake lines were so corroded that they needed to be replaced at a price of $1610.80. I stated that the so call metal used had to be defected to allow the whole system of lines to rust to this point in only seven years. She then replied that it was not cause by the metal used, it was the new salt that the states uses now. When they replaced the old lines with the new, I ask the service advisor is the metal brake lines being installed, were they using the same kind of metal and she replied, no they are using zink coated lines now. My question did any other trucks like mine have the same problem and why did they use a new metal if there was nothing wrong with original metal.

- Westminster, MD, USA

Feb 212015

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

I was backing up the truck when a car came up behind me and had to hit the brakes hard. The peddle went all the way to the floor, no brakes at all. Had to steer the truck into a snow bank to avoid an accident. The cab of the truck immediately smelled like brake fluid. Took the truck to the shop and discovered the brake lines are rusted at every point where they connect to the frame. Repaired the first leak and another leak started in another line in the same area the lines attached to the frame behind the drivers side front wheel. Repaired the second leak and a 3rd leak appeared inside the frame rail behind the cab where the line attaches to the frame. The lines can not be safely repaired. All new lines must be installed. The truck only has 10,250 miles on it and is always washed including the under carriage after driving on salted roads.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Jan 142015

Silverado 2500

I had a brake line brake driving my baby to the doc, towed if to the shop & found out all the brake lines & hardware were rusted beyond repair & everything needed replaced, we found that GM had used bad products on their Chevy trucks from 99-07 but only recalled 99-03, apparently there's not enough deaths in model years 04-07 to recall, well if we were going faster it prob wouldn't have ended well for us, the cost of the repairs were around $700.

- Swartz Creek, MI, USA

Jan 122015

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving 10 mph, the brake pedal shook when it was depressed. The failure recurred several times. The dealer stated that the sensor was rusted and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Means , KY, USA

Nov 302014

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

During a normal stop at a light, just as the vehicle was getting close to a complete stop there was a noticeable bump felt in the brake pedal and release of brake application on its own while still pushing on the brake pedal. This occurred as vehicle was slowing, just before a complete stop was achieved. After researching the problem which seems to be well known in automotive forums and by GM. I removed the front wheel speed sensors, cleaned the corrosion from the mounting pads and reassembled. Before cleaning the sensor mounting the problem would occur 80-90% of the time brakes were applied. After cleaning it has not happened again. There is a recall on this very issue on earlier year models, clearly this needs to be expanded to more model years. If someone had been in front of me when this occurred there is a very good possibility I would have hit the back of their vehicle.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Dec 042014

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Driving on highway at 60mph traffic slowed suddenly while pressing down on brakes when to floor I swerved to avoid slowing traffic and ran off shoulder in to grass and small trees to come to a stop had truck towed to my house found line over gas tank split open their was no pedal at all and no warning light for brakes until all the fluid dripped out in to my driveway.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Oct 182014

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the brake pedal was applied and traveled abnormally to the floorboard. The contact mentioned that the vehicle hesitated to stop. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was informed that the front and rear brake lines needed to be replaced due to corrosion. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Wollingford , CT, USA

Nov 142014

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving approximately 15 mph, the brake pedal extended to the floor without warning and it became difficult to stop the vehicle. The dealer stated that the brake lines were rusted and leaking. The fuel lines were also rusted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 36,900.

- Derby, CT, USA

Nov 142014

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving approximately 15 mph, the brake pedal sank to the floorboard without warning and the vehicle failed to stop. The dealer stated that the brake lines were rusted and contained leaks. Also, the technician diagnosed that the fuel lines were rusted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 36,900. Updated 3/31/15

- Derby, CT, USA

Nov 252014

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle lost brakes due to corroded steel brake lines.

- Whitestone, NY, USA

Oct 242014

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Brake lines have rusted out. ABS warning light came on, then soon after ABS service light came on. Had to replace all of the lines and 3 calipers where lines had rusted to the caliper. Vehicle only has 41200 miles on it. Cost me $861 to have them replaced. Service technician said he had never seen lines that were that bad for a vehicle with such low mileage. One of the lines crumbled at the touch when it was removed.

- Anderson, IN, USA

May 082012

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the right and left wheel hub assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Alton, MO, USA

Oct 312014

Silverado 2500

As I was procedin towards a yield sign, my brakes seemed to have given out. The vehicle would stop but slowly and nearly caused me to get sideswiped by an oncoming vehicle. Upon returning home I saw a massive pol of brake fluid underneath the vehicle. Having another person hit the brakes I saw that the fluid was escaping from the metal brake line running underneath the cooling fans. The line was severely corroded by rust.

- La Feria, TX, USA

Oct 262014

Silverado 2500 6-cyl

Brake line rusted through. GM knows this is a problem with these trucks, but won't recall.

- Portland, ME, USA

Sep 142013

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

I was coming home from my daughters soccer game with her and my ex-wife as passengers.we were approximately 50 miles from home traveling on the interstate when I applied my brakes and peddle went slowly to the floor. I managed to get slowed down and by quickly pumping my brakes I could get enough pressure to stop the truck. I phoned a friend and he brought a trailer and we hauled it home. I do a lot of my mechanic work because of garage cost. I replaced the one line, had another one rust out so replaced all 4 of them. Then just this past week I was going down my steep driveway approximately 1/8 mile long and brake line under radiator broke and had to use emergency brake to get stopped. I keep my truck clean underneath and on top and the frame is rusting so bad it's shameful!! the bumpers and cab corners are rusting too.

- New Martinsville, WV, USA