2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Mar 012013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Brake lines rusted out. This is the second time I have had this problem with this vehicle. A hole developed in a brake line which resulted in no brakes at all. I had to spend $1400 at the Chevy dealership to have all of my brake lines and front calipers replaced.

- Colchester, CT, USA

Mar 112013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. The contact stated that while shifting into drive, the brakes and the power steering failed without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 89,000.

- Fullerton , CA, USA

Feb 032013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

Driving my 2006 Silverado 3500 hd when the car ahead decided on a sudden left turn. Went to apply my brakes and had to stand on the pedal while swerving, narrowly missing the compact car. After evaluation at the GM certified dealership we use for inspection and repair on all 8 of our GM business and personal vehicles, we were informed that the brake erosion/rusting was a common defect in the brake lines used. Contacted GM and they offered to pay half of the $1400 bill and stated that there is no recall for this issue. There needs to be a recall for the safety of everyone on the road!

Feb 032013

Silverado 2500

Driving my 2006 Silverado 3500 hd when the car ahead decided on a sudden left turn. Went to apply my brakes and had to stand on the pedal while swerving, narrowly missing the compact car. After evaluation at the GM certified dealership that we use for inspection and repair on all 8 of our GM business and personal vehicles, we were informed that the brake erosion/rusting was a common defect in the brake lines used. Contacted GM and they offered to pay half of the $1400 bill and stated that there is no recall for this issue. There needs to be a recall for the safety of everyone on the road!

Mar 032013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

ABS kick in at low speeds increasing stopping distance by several feet.

- Broad Brook, CT, USA

Oct 132012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

2006 Silverado 1500 in October 2012, as I approached a stop light, my brake pedal lost pressure and went to the floor. I was able to pull into a parking lot and stop by pumping the pedal and using the parking brake. The cause was a rusted out brake line, which I paid the shop to replace. In February 2013, I pressed the brake pedal to shift into drive in my driveway and the brake pedal again lost pressure and went to the floor. I had the truck towed to a mechanic and upon inspection learned that all of the brake lines are rusted out including at the ABS module connection point. The only repair option is a $2000 job to remove the body from the truck to replace every single brake line. Through internet searches and by my mechanic's experience, this is clearly a known problem that GM should be recalling Silverado for.

- Durham, NC, USA

Feb 162013

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Brake line rust through. Driving down the road hit brakes went to floor. Still had front brakes and was able to stop. Having the truck towed to have lines replaced.

- St. Charles, IA, USA

Jan 302013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

At the worst possible time with icy roads and snow. I was on my driveway trying to get to the top off it when I lost traction. I stopped and applied the brakes. I started to back down the drive when the peddle fell to the floor causing the truck to go violently out of control and crash down over an embankment. There was no warning, just total loss of brakes both front and rear. Mechanic says the lines blew apart from rust.

- Sharon, VT, USA

Jan 242013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

Brake pedal went almost to floor. After inspection metal brake line was rusted and has hole in line resulting in loss of fluid.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Jun 042012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

First time brake line broke at dealers parking lot. Line repaired two weeks later while stopping for red light another brake line ruptured month later while attempting to stop for vehicle stopped in front another brake line burst minor collision no damage. Dealer at this time replaced all brake lines in vehicle as I refused to operate the vehicle without every line replaced period.

- Weymouth, MA, USA

Dec 012012

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

As I approached a stop sign, I applied the brakes and the brake pedal went soft and then to the floor. Immediately followed by a brake system warning and a brake light on the instrument panel. I got the vehicle stopped on the side of the road and checked the brake fluid reservoir. It was empty. It had been snowing that day and I noticed a puddle of fluid had formed in the fresh snow under the driver's side of the vehicle, just inboard and aft of the front left wheel. When I crawled underneath and looked I found what appears to be severely rotted brake lines. I have never had a solid brake line fail on me before and was quite shocked at how progressed the corrosion was. I take care of my truck and it gets washed and serviced regularly. With that it gets used as a truck as well. I feel that the corrosion was excessive and perhaps is the result of a material flaw/cheap materials used. I shudder to think what the outcome would have been had I been towing my horse trailer or my camper that day.

- Stafford Springs, CT, USA

Nov 282012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

While driving 2006 Chevy Silverado pick up truck, my wife experienced sudden and total brake failure. When she pressed on brakes to slow vehicle, pedal fell to floor and brakes were unresponsive. My wife barely avoided an accident and pulled into shopping center. After arriving at scene to retrieve my wife, I checked brake fluid level, which was below "minimum". I added a full can of brake fluid, and had her press brakes while vehicle was stationary. I could hear hissing, and saw liquid spray escape under pressure from under hood. Mechanic later informed me that brake line for front brakes was rusted through and brakes failed when system pressure from applying brakes burst the rusted line. He said my wife was lucky she didn't crash or worse. He advised me that entire undercarriage was very rusted and other parts were so rusted that in order to bleed air from brake system, they had to replace rusted calipers. I am concerned about safety of this vehicle and based on my review of other drivers' complaints and internet forums, it appears catastrophic brake failure is a widespread and pervasive problem for GM Silverado vehicles. See https://sites.google.com/site/gmbadbrakes/ please investigate this as a matter of public safety.

- Newtown, PA, USA

Sep 122012

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 hd. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken for routine maintenance when he was advised that the brake lines were rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer was notified and stated that the failure was a common problem in the particular model however, a recall had not been issued. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 71,000.

Sep 192012

Silverado 2500 6-cyl

The brakes on this vehicle fail at low speeds (approx. 5 mph). This is a known problem for this vehicle. Chevy has issued a technical bulletin on this problem (low speed ABS activation, bulletin #03-05-25-007C). I had this problem repaired in October 2010. Now the same problem is occurring again, roughly 10,000 miles later. Information about this problem is readily available online. Many Silverado owners have complained about it. Please advise if there has been any recall action on this issue. I believe there was a recall on prior models, but not 2006 and beyond models, although it is clearly still a problem.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Nov 052012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Left my driveway at 5am to go to work. At the end of the block is a stop sign. Applied my brakes and the pedal went all the way down to the floor. Could not stop and went thru the stop sign. There was not lights or warning concerning the brakes. At further inspection I saw that the rear brake line was rusted thru. Noticed that all the other brake lines are on the verge of rusting thru as well. A very scary sight.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Apr 152010

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

When coming to a stop a speeds of 10 mph or less, brake pedal goes towards the floor as if the ABS is activating, causing loss of braking. It occurs on all types of driving surfaces and in all weather conditions. Problem has gotten worse with time. Dealership says there is no known problem... however the internet says differently! problem occurs almost every time you are making a slow approach to a stop, which is usually when other vehicles or pedestrians are in front of you.

- Lewisburg, WV, USA

Oct 072012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

I was driving my truck at slow speed to a stop sign when the peddle went to the floor I was barely able to stop almost hit the car in front of me got out and saw brake fluid flowing to the ground. The rear brake line rusted out where it splits to the rear axle this should never happen this truck has low miles upon further examination all the metal brake lines have some sort off corrosion. And need to be replace this is a serious safety issue these parts were made with inferior metal. Did some research and this seems like a very common problem with these trucks.

- Fair Lawn, NJ, USA

Sep 032012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

Brake lines rusted through, leaking fluid.

- Williamsport, MD, USA

Aug 012012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

ABS applies for no reason at 10 to 5 mph. Making truck travel 6 to 15 feet beyond expected stopping distance. I think this is very dangerous.

- Coldwater, MI, USA

Aug 272012

Silverado 2500

Rear brake line failed due to heavy corrosion causing loss of brake fluid and extremely reduced brake performance.

- East Lyme , CT, USA