2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Feb 032016

Silverado 2500

The dash around the air bag has formed a crack and upon deployment of the air bag could result in sharp plastic breaking off and hitting passengers. Along with the sharp plastic it could result in the rupture of the airbag and could result in a passenger death. This is a common problem on GM dashes from 2007.5-2013. GM will not own up to the problem and it needs to be taken care of. There is a facebook page with over 6000 people with the same problem. Https://www.facebook.com/groups/gmdashcrack/?fref=nf

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jun 152015

Silverado 2500

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: (air bags). The dealer was unable to supply the part from the manufacturer for several months. The manufacturer was unable to provide a time frame that the part would be supplied to the dealer. The contact was not experiencing a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Meridian, MS, USA

Jul 312015

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V324000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Glen Rose, TX, USA

Mar 202015

Silverado 2500

Takata recall..I can't believe it's over a year and still no fix for my truck. Are you really serious. Someone died tonite on the news. What the hell is going on with your auto industry. A year, a year later and nothing.. hope no one in my family is hurt or worse before you get off your butts and deal with this. What a disgrace to this country, an american car, yeah right. I want a fix and I want to know when this is going to happen. The service department says they can't do anything about the neglect on your part of this problem and say they're sorry. I want an answer to when this is going to be remedied. Please contact me soon!!

- Flemington, NJ, USA

Apr 072016

Silverado 2500

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V324000 (air bags) however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts unavailable.

- Rockford, IL, USA

May 152015

Silverado 2500

Takata recall - received recall notice last year - still have not received a notice to replace defective unit. Is GM going to wait until someone else is killed like the "teenage girl killed by exploding takata air bag in Texas" before they correct the issue?

- Lake Wylie, SC, USA

Mar 142016

Silverado 2500

I have a 2008 Silverado 2500hd with 48,000 miles on it and just noticed two cracks have formed above the passenger airbag. Even though the warranty has expired I feel this is a manufacturing defect and should be replaced by Chevrolet at no charge. The vehicle has always been stored sun protected except when traveling. At that time a dash screen is used for sun protection. I contacted the Chevrolet customer assistance center immediately and they had me take my vehicle to a Chevrolet dealer for examination. I had my vehicle examined at the Chevrolet dealership on March 21, 2016. They examined the vehicle, took photos and told me they would get back to me with the decision. They did so later that day but the decision was to replace the dash which would be $1000 of which GM would be willing to pick up half, so my out of pocket expense would be $500. I refused this offer and told the dealer I would be contacting the Chevrolet customer assistance center to dispute me having to pay $500 out of pocket expense to correct a manufacturers defect. I contacted the Chevrolet customer assistance center immediately via phone and asked that the issue be elevated to the appropriate person. I provided the representative all the information she requested from me and she assured me that she would elevate the issue to the senior manager in my area and they would get back to me within 48 hours with a decision. As of this writing I have not heard back from anyone. This is a safety issue. If the airbag on he passengers side were to deploy it would sent plastic shrapnel into the driver causing severe injury. I know this to be a fact because I worked on airbag technology back in the 80's and saw videos of what occurs upon airbag deployment when particles are sent flying. Think of a straw being driven into a tree during a tornado. Same principle.

- Lake Wylie, SC, USA

Dec 152015

Silverado 2500

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. When the vehicle was purchased, the dealer would not release it until the recall repair was completed. The dealer did not disclose that the vehicle was included in a recall prior to purchasing the vehicle. The dealer and the manufacturer indicated that the parts were not available. The contact was uncertain when the vehicle would be released. The contact was notified by the dealer that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V324000 (air bags). The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Dec 162015

Silverado 2500

Takata recall truck was sold by autonation with active recall for passenger side airbag recall on December 16 2015 that neither General Motors that says you can not buy vehicles with recalls and autonation that will not release truck to me that I paid for and signed all papers. Recall was issued for this truck June 2015 so it has been 11months in a few days and three and half since I bought /paid for vehicle. How long do I have to wait for this part? what if my vehicle was in an accident would I have my truck repaired or have to wait till they have remedy available as whey keep stating reason I can not have my truck no part/remedy available. Laws need updated to make manufactures quickly fix these recalls. Recalls that as GM states is a liablity or safety issue that can cause deaths should have a limited at most of six months, not almost a year or longer. We could buy other 2008 Chevrolet Silverado with recalls and drive them off the lots of a number of dealerships with no problems.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Mar 282016

Silverado 2500

"takata recall" it has been over 8 months since I received a recall on this. As of today there is still no resolution from GM. This is irresponsible considering "it can cause serious injury or death". they should be forced to resolve this situation in some fashion so I am not risking the safety of my family while waiting.

- Cicero, IN, USA

Jul 172015

Silverado 2500

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V324000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available. Updated 05/03/16

- Alpena, MI, USA

Jan 152016

Silverado 2500

"takata recall " received recall notice several months ago and still no fix. 2 speakers all failed with in six years, 3 window switches all stopped working have pictures available, all quit while driving on a cold night with my 4 yr old in the back seat. Had to pull over and remove switch to short out and get window back up. 4 bed mounting rails and bed side all have rust. So not only did it rot out prematurely but the dealership that covered up the problem entered an accident on the car fax for the bull crap repair they did on my vehicle. Dealership is barlow located in manahawkin

- Manahawkin, NJ, USA

Jul 012015

Silverado 2500

We received notice July 2015. We have yet to get approval for parts to get this item repaired. We have called several times to no avail! we our retired and travel all over the country. This defect is constantly on our mind. With the miles we travel we stand a greater risk of an accident occurring. Who do we turn to" the media"

- Oakley, CA, USA

Jul 132015

Silverado 2500

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 15V324000 (air bags) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Bradley, TX, USA

Jul 152014

Silverado 2500

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V324000 (air bags) however, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Oklahona City, OK, USA

Aug 072015

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V324000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available. Updated 05/06/16 updated 05/09/16.

- Duncan, OK, USA

Feb 172016

Silverado 2500

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V324000 (air bags); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Lumberton, TX, USA

Aug 152014

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V324000 (air bags); however, the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact stated that the air bag warning light was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Billings, MT, USA

Sep 212015

Silverado 2500

The dash is cracked at the left corner of air bag. Afraid of pieces of dash hitting passenger if air bag deploys.

- Morristown, TN, USA

Feb 092016

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that there was a loud abnormal noise inside the vehicle. The air bag warning indicator remained illuminated. In addition, the seat belt pre-tensioner failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 68,080.

- New Brighton, MN, USA