Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2012 Chevrolet Sonic is fairly new & is already showing an early trend of transmission problems.

Owners report hesitation when shifting & grinding/hard shifting into gears. Some dealers are calling the condition "normal". Another owner reported his dealership replaced the transmission under warranty, but the new transmission had the same exact grinding problem. Design defect?

2012 Chevrolet Sonic miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Sonic:

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 052016

Takata recall lately ill turn the radio off get out the car come back hours later an its on right now its acting like it dont wanna turn off it keep popping back on not sure whats the problem had the car for not even a year the remote stop working to.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 242016

On my way to church last week my car caught fire at a stop light and was totally engulfed in flames. I have pices if you need them.

Jul 282016

The button on the gear shift sticks. When the button won't pop out after being put into gear, it can be bumped and moved into another gear causing a safety risk. The gear shift should be recalled! also when I'm in park and it won't pop out, my car will not let me remove the keys. And when the keys are in the ignition, the car won't lock. My car is also now likely to be stolen.

Jul 032016

Has burning smell of anti freeze and wires melting. Air bags don't work on front passenger side.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Dec 012014

For an automatic 2012 Chevy Sonic. Gear shift knob became nonfunctional causing key to become stick in ignition. Could not exit vehicle. Could not shift into D or sometime out of drive into park. Eventually went to the dealer who replaced the whole unit at a charge to me. The replacement unit seems to occasionally stick in the same way however has not caused problems yet.

- N. Chesterfield, VA, USA

Jun 092016

I noticed the button on my gear shift would always stick when I either went to put the car into gear or into park. I could not shut the car completely off until I got the button unstuck. Then, I noticed that the button was broke. This would happen anytime I used the button. It had been sticking on me for a while, but I noticed it was broke on 6/9/2016.

Jun 022016

They key is stuck in the ignition, and the gear shift keeps getting stuck. The key will release after the car has set for over 15 minutes. Gets stuck after I shut off the car.

- Millersport, OH, USA

May 152016

When changing the gear selection for example from park to drive....the gear button stays stuck / pushed in..... this is dangerous as an infant or your passenger can accidentally hit the shift knob allowing the car to come a sudden stop or put the car in reverse.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Mar 112016

Check engine light-------after the factory warrantee expired I still have the power train in full force, but the check engine light keeps coming on. I had it repaired about 8 months ago for some part covered under power train. This makes 6 times the engine light has come on again. I hate this because I cannot use the main feature I purchased the car for auto start. So needless to say it is doing the same mess....

- Boling, TX, USA

Nov 302015

With only 40,000 miles and 3 years old, air intake hose is cracked and split in many locations.

- North Grafton, MA, USA

Feb 232016

Shift gear cracked about a month ago...two months ago keys broke, today sitting at stop light couldn't get car into gear. Every gear went to reverse. Had to have cake towed.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Feb 092016

I have an automatic car. When I put the car in park, I believe its called the gear shift button, gets stuck for several minutes and I cannot remove my key from the ignition until it pops out. Reported this to my dealership and they spayed some oil around the button but that did not help. This happens daily. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the button to pop and other times it has taken up to 10 minutes for the button to release.

- Dundalk, MD, USA

Dec 272015

This vehicle has had "undiagnosable" problems aince it hit 1200 miles. I have made 57 visits to Chevy dealerships for attempted diagnostics and repairs. The car has lurched forward of its own Accord, my brakes have failed to engage on a single occasion, the car has intermittently shut off during idle, the car has also had issues with shifting for the last 2 years. A 3 year battle has yeilded no answers or improvement; I was unable to utilize the lemon law because the issues couldn't be diagnosed. Finally the car is showing codes for what I believe is the transmission based on how poorly the car is running. I can provide information for the dealerships I have worked with; they have all the documentation for the obscene number of visits I've made with this car.

- Fremont, NH, USA

Oct 162015

The console gear shift has a button that must be depressed to shift. Button sticks in depressed position. Cannot remove keys in park position. Vehicle is 2012, 28,000 miles.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Sep 282015

When putting my car into park the gear shift button is not releasing therefore the car can not be turned off! the service place is changing me $315 to replace the whole gear shift! also gear shift is sticking not wanting to go into park!!!

- Morgan City, LA, USA

Oct 152014

Stick shift button started to stck and now the bitton is broken at the bottom. It is barly shifting to R, P or drive. Hits cause U cant push in button. Sometimes cant put in park or key is stuck cause it isnt in park all the way. This is going to mess up my transmition!!!

- Elkton, MD, USA

May 282015

When my wife places car in park, removes keys, the car will attempt to restart?!! yes re-start<< this is very dangerous & I am fearful for her life!!!! 2012 Sonic was purchased @ jon hall Chevrolet in daytona beach, fl. In 2011. With 700+ miles on it already. I'd certainly appreciate somebody contacting them (jon hall) and allow her to take it in for a free repair. Car is used only for her to go to work & back. This car fairly new (2012) has defect in it from the day she received it...plze do help. Her life may be at stake. (fire, explosion etc..)!!!!!!!

- Edgewater, FL, USA

May 252015

My radio will turn itself on hours after my car has been turned off. I've had to take out the fuse everytime I exit the car so the battery won't drain. I don't know where to begin with fixing this problem. It's been going on for a few weeks now. I've called to the dealership where the car was purchased and they said it was a manufacturing problem. Please don't tell me I have to pay for this out of pocket. From what I've seen there's a lot of these cases on the internet. So it's not just a random problem.

- Roswell, NM, USA

Jan 142015

Gear shifter button gets stuck, not allowing releasing key from ignition. Driver has to have lubricant on hand at all times, to get shifter button unstuck. However lately it is getting somewhat harder to get it to work

- Plymouth, MI, USA

May 262015

During the last week had problems with the key not releasing from steering column. The last two days gear shifter getting very hard to shift and button sticks and key will not release, and wheels will not lock. Have had to leave the key in car which is not a very safe thing to do. Have noticed today that the button after awhile will pop out and then the key will release. This is a safety issue and needs to be recalled before things get worse which apparently is going to happen..

- Lyndonville, NY, USA