- June 16: Millions More GM Cars Have Defective Ignition Switches
- June 9: GM Recalls 89,000 Trucks, SUVs and Cars
- June 3: GM Sends Recall Notices To Families of Deceased Accident Victims
- May 20: GM Recalls 2.4 Million Vehicles in Four Separate Recalls
- May 15: Troubled GM Recalls 2.7 Million Vehicles After Hundreds of Complaints
2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Chevrolet Sonic is fairly new & is already showing an early trend of transmission problems.
Owners report hesitation when shifting & grinding/hard shifting into gears. Some dealers are calling the condition "normal". Another owner reported his dealership replaced the transmission under warranty, but the new transmission had the same exact grinding problem. Design defect?
Worst 2012 Sonic Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems16
- engine problems14NHTSA complaints: 17
- interior accessories problems11NHTSA complaints: 1
- AC / heater problems5
- body / paint problems5NHTSA complaints: 3
- brakes problems5NHTSA complaints: 5
- windows / windshield problems5NHTSA complaints: 3
- fuel system problems3NHTSA complaints: 3
- electrical problems2NHTSA complaints: 11
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 2
- seat belts / air bags problems2NHTSA complaints: 6
- cooling system problems1
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 15
- miscellaneous problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 5
- suspension problems1NHTSA complaints: 9
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 3
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 2
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Chevrolet Sonic Model Years
Curious how the 2012 Sonic compares to other years?
Check out our Chevrolet Sonic overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Sonic.