2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Chevrolet Sonic is fairly new & is already showing an early trend of transmission problems.
Owners report hesitation when shifting & grinding/hard shifting into gears. Some dealers are calling the condition "normal". Another owner reported his dealership replaced the transmission under warranty, but the new transmission had the same exact grinding problem. Design defect?
Worst 2012 Sonic Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- transmission problems16
- engine problems9NHTSA complaints: 15
- interior accessories problems7
- electrical problems5NHTSA complaints: 7
- body / paint problems4NHTSA complaints: 3
- brakes problems4NHTSA complaints: 5
- AC / heater problems3
- exterior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 3
- fuel system problems3NHTSA complaints: 3
- windows / windshield problems3NHTSA complaints: 3
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 14
- miscellaneous problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 5
- suspension problems1NHTSA complaints: 9
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 4
- lights problemsNHTSA: 2
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 2
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Chevrolet Sonic Model Years
Curious how the 2012 Sonic compares to other years?
Check out our Chevrolet Sonic overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Sonic.