2014 Chevrolet Sonic electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Sonic:

2014 Chevrolet Sonic Owner Comments

Aug 152016

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Sonic. While driving 45 mph, the radio back light turned off followed by the entire instrument panel. Also, the locks repeatedly unlocked and locked, and the engine stalled. Once the vehicle was restarted, all of the panel lights illuminated. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Groveland, FL, USA

Jul 012016

Took my car in to dealership for recall 17130. After receiving car back, back up camera inoperable and volume controls on steering wheel for phone and radio do not work.

- Moreauville, LA, USA

Sep 122015

I had taken the key out of the ignition and it was very hot about the end of July. On Friday August 11, I noticed a pause in the car starting the a sound of a knock leaving work. I arrived home around 6:00 P.M. parked in my drive way for the day. I was awaken Saturday morning by my neighbor be made my car was on fire. This was determined by lawrence fire department of an engine fire.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 132015

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Sonic. The contact stated that when the air conditioner or the heater was turned on, an unusual odor emitted through the vents. The contact mentioned that he suffered from headaches due to the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to locate the source of the odor. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 12,852.

- Yellow Springs, OH, USA

Aug 242015

It started earlier when I went into the store. Before I could make it back to the car to turn the car on or even unlock the doors with my keys the car was playing music and the lights where flashing on and off. I actually knew what to do because this has happened before and the car returned back to normal. Late on today I parked my car turned the wheels towards the sidewalk because the car was on a hill going downwards. I got out the car locked all of the doors went into the community center where I remained for about an 1hr came out unlocked the car doors get in the car where the radio automatically come on the lights in the car started flashing on and off. That's was pretty weird I put the car in the ignition and the key would not turn nor would the steering column move. I couldn't even turn the wheel I called the dealership and the customer service telephone number for Chevy and I was advised that they needed to tow my car to the closest dealership

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Apr 012015

Traded in my original recall Chevy colbalt 2005 in April 2014. I was given a trade in amount which I used to put down on a new car, Chevrolet Sonic 2014. I had it all of a week when suddenly I was driving and stepping on the gas peddle it began to slow down to not moving regardless to how much I stepped on the gas. Naturally, I was very upset. I called for help.they transferred me into a different 2014 Sonic. From day 1 I notice problems not concerned only because the issue lasted 10-15 minutes and then it was fine. The problem began with not being able to open trunk, doors lock of steering wheel when exiting the car and the beeping sound as if something was left on in the car. As time passed it was happening more frequent. Finally in April 2015 the beeping and steering wheel and all the above now wouldnt stop. I ran it to service. They did a total global diagnostic said all was now fine. I left with ease, within 3 weeks on May 9th my daughter and I were coming home and just parked. I couldnt open any locks remote didn't work manual locks didn't work the car was in total shut down. I didn't have my cell phone, I belong to onstar and called them for help. To my surprise they refused me roadside asst saying its an electrical issue they don't get involved. That's another issue. Being in fla stuck in a hot car for over an hour of fear in a state of panic, I tried pushing every button possible out of fear, and crazy as it sounds I turn the button headlights from auto to off { take note the lights were not on } and suddenly the locks opened. Strange.towed car to service again, held it for a week and cant find any issues. Not satisfied due to the issues in the past and most recent. I know something is seriously wrong. Spoke to corporate and no one wants to do anything.they are only offering me 11,000 and I have an outstanding loan for 13,200. So I will be without a car.

- Winter Springs Fla, FL, USA

Jul 152014

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Sonic. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. In addition, the contact stated that the instrument panel became inoperable intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 6,520.

- Mabscott , WV, USA

Sep 222014

Sonic 4-cyl

While driving down the highway, going approximately 65mph, the dash lights including speedometer turn off and reset. They stay off from 10-20 seconds then reset back on. This has happened multiple times in the last 3 months. Has only happened in 6th gear and is very dangerous knowing the repair dealership can not figure out what triggers it.

- Coeurdalene, ID, USA

Jul 232014

Sonic 4-cyl

My 2014 Sonic after being driven for 40 min failed to start, a check of the battery indicated full voltage. Called for roadside assistance after they tapped on the starter the car would start. This has been a recurring problem. The dealer had the car for 3 days and could not repeat the problem, was told to bring it back when I had the problem again. I have had to tap on the starter once because I was too far for road side assistance. At 1974 miles I had the problem again called roadside assistance, when the tow truck driver put the key in the run position and wiggled the steering wheel the car started on its own. Because the car will not start even with the remote starter I don't think it's a key switch problem. The worst part of the issue is being stuck in less than safe places with a car that won't start.

- Coventry, CT, USA

Jan 092014

Sonic 4-cyl

The ignition key gets hot after driving the car for more than 5 miles. There is a strange whirring noise coming from the front of car when driving. It started on the passenger side front and is now on both sides. It only happens while car is in motion.

- Holiday, FL, USA

Jun 212014

Driving in 70mph traffic, my wife jostled the key in the ignition while reaching up to adjust windshield wipers. The car stalled. A truck was barreling down on us. Fortunately we were able to get to the side of the road in time. The vehicle restarted with no trouble. This was a rented car.

- Roanoke, VA, USA