2014 Chevrolet Sonic miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Sonic:

2014 Chevrolet Sonic Owner Comments

Dec 021919

Vehicle lunges at a stop when in first gear.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jan 212016

Takata recall: I called Chevrolet today (Jan. 21, 2016 )to ask if my 2014 Chevrolet Sonic is equipped (oem) with takata airbags. I was told that the information is not available and is proprietary. I asked if other oem information is available such as tire oem information, and was told that, yes, tire oem provider information is available, just not airbag oem information. I live in a sea coast environment and am concerned that, as the years wear on, my air bags will be at risk for corrosive damage due to salt air.

- Rehoboth Beach, DE, USA

Jun 012015

Car cuts out, grinding noise from engine. Had ignition coil replaced but still doing the same thing. Looses power going up steep hill. Only had car about seven months. Only has sixteen thousand miles on it. Sometimes while I am driving car just looses power and almost got hit in the back. I feel one of these days someone will hit me. Took it back to dealership and they say nothing is wrong but the problem is getting worse. The car does have warranty on it.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Apr 012015

Traded in my original recall Chevy colbalt 2005 in April 2014. I was given a trade in amount which I used to put down on a new car, Chevrolet Sonic 2014. I had it all of a week when suddenly I was driving and stepping on the gas peddle it began to slow down to not moving regardless to how much I stepped on the gas. Naturally, I was very upset. I called for help.they transferred me into a different 2014 Sonic. From day 1 I notice problems not concerned only because the issue lasted 10-15 minutes and then it was fine. The problem began with not being able to open trunk, doors lock of steering wheel when exiting the car and the beeping sound as if something was left on in the car. As time passed it was happening more frequent. Finally in April 2015 the beeping and steering wheel and all the above now wouldnt stop. I ran it to service. They did a total global diagnostic said all was now fine. I left with ease, within 3 weeks on May 9th my daughter and I were coming home and just parked. I couldnt open any locks remote didn't work manual locks didn't work the car was in total shut down. I didn't have my cell phone, I belong to onstar and called them for help. To my surprise they refused me roadside asst saying its an electrical issue they don't get involved. That's another issue. Being in fla stuck in a hot car for over an hour of fear in a state of panic, I tried pushing every button possible out of fear, and crazy as it sounds I turn the button headlights from auto to off { take note the lights were not on } and suddenly the locks opened. Strange.towed car to service again, held it for a week and cant find any issues. Not satisfied due to the issues in the past and most recent. I know something is seriously wrong. Spoke to corporate and no one wants to do anything.they are only offering me 11,000 and I have an outstanding loan for 13,200. So I will be without a car.

- Winter Springs Fla, FL, USA

Nov 112014

First noticed this happening about 1 month after the purchase of this car. When stopped at a stop sign or red light, with my foot on the brake the car feels like it wants to lunge forward or take off. Or, when going from my foot on the brake to the gas the car wants to lunge forward once I press on the gas just a little bit.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 012014

Sonic 4-cyl

The driver backed out onto the residential street. The drive aligned the wheels to point straight down the street. The driver shifted into drive and pressed pressed the accelerator. The car rapidly accelerated and swerved to the left. It grazed the bumper of a packed car and came to rest on a tree. Upon leaving the front left tire was deflated. The repair shop reported left suspension damage.

- Naperville, IL, USA