2013 Chevrolet Spark engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Spark:

2013 Chevrolet Spark Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 102016

Spark

Slowly pulled car into the driveway. Entered the garage with my foot on the brake. Half way into garage, the engine over accelerated and made the car lunge forward. My foot was still on the brake pedal. The brakes went into ABS mode, with pulsating. The car rammed into some storage totes and also my snowblower. The over acceleration of the engine stopped. All of this took about 10 - 15 seconds. No amount of pressure on the brake pedal stopped this car. No, I did not have my foot on the gas pedal. The car went into my local Chevy dealer 2 days later. I was told that they ran some tests, had it up on a lift & even had a mechanic take it out to try to duplicate the problem. Of course, they couldn't find anything wrong. Someone needs to do something about all these over & under acceleration problems before lives are lost! my car has a few minor dents on the hood, from falling totes my snowblower is slightly dented but my nerves are shot. I am really scared to drive this car.

- Depew, NY, USA

Oct 092015

Spark

Takata recall: I purchased this vehicle Oct 9 2015 with 56K miles on it. From the day I purchased it up to today I have been hearing a humming/buzzing/whistling noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. I had it checked out by a repair shop and was told it was a faulty fuel pump with an estimated cost of $500. The noise can be heard only when the car is on and running and it can be heard inside and outside of the vehicle when stopped or moving. It can be heard from inside and outside the vehicle and has only got worse since the day I purchased it. I am a part time uber driver and I own a mobile cell phone repair business and I am in my running vehicle up to 15 hrs/day. I have researched this issue and there are many threds and blogs online with customers complaining of the same issue. I do not feel I should be responsible for this repair charges has the vehicle was making this noise soon after the purchase and I was not notified. This noise has started to affect me mentally as there is nothing I can do to drown it out. I is also starting to affect the performance of the vehicle. Please help. "takata recall" also, since the purchase of this vehicle I have noticed the ac does not blow cold air when sitting at an idle. I live in Arizona and temperatures can reach 120 degrees. As I mentioned I am in my vehicle up to 15 hrs/day and many of those hours are spent sitting idling while I repair my customers cell phones. When I am sitting in 120 degree heat with barely cool air blowing on me it makes it about 90 degrees in my vehicle which can cause health issues and worst case scenario death. I am at the verge of selling this vehicle, obtaining a lawyer, and filing a complaint or law suit, especially if my health is being affected. Please help.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Mar 122016

Spark

I was going South on I95 doing 70 miles an hour engine light flashed off and on traction control light on car lost speed and will not shift high rp not speed. Was almost in a very bad accident.

- Stockton Springs, ME, USA

Mar 212015

Spark

After accelerating from a light at 5mph the gear indicator disappeared and the transmission stuck in 2nd gear verified by revs vs. Vehicle speed. Resulted in very slow acceleration and high revs. Cycling the gear shifter did not resolve issue. Would not even shift to neutral. Issue not resolved until cycling ignition. No check engine light, no indicator lamps. No gear selection indicator on display.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Jan 052016

Spark

While driving on the freeway my car suddenly lost all acceleration power. It ran 5K rpms to go 55 mph and the traction control light was on and the engine malfunction light was blinking. This has been an ongoing problem for a week and the dealership cannot figure out how to fix it. Sometimes the lights stay on and sometimes they go off even though I continue to have loss of acceleration and ridiculously high rpms to travel 35-55mph.

- Troy, MI, USA

Dec 282015

Spark

Have a 2013 Chevy Spark. It has already had an engine replaced at just over 20,000 miles and continues to have the same problems as before the engine was replaced. It continuously goes back and forth to the dealer, yet "no issues or codes" are ever found. To me this car is a potential death trap every time it's driven. It continuously shows the engine light...blinking away...along with the traction control that frequently is on with it. It then revs extremely high and you can't go over 20 miles an hour because of fear the car will explode. It also shakes during all of this. These are all the same problems that the car has had since before the first engine decided to just blow...on a highway...just over 20,000 miles. Please also note that there have been multiple recalls, for this car as well. Cute car...but it ends there. It's a death trap on wheels!! there should be a major recall and class action lawsuit on these cars!

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Dec 292015

Spark

Not even 10,000 miles in I had a tire gets a bubble on the sidewall. The dealership would not cover it or swap it out saying it could have been due to hitting a pothole or curb. 15,000 miles in driving down the highway and hear a loud bang and the ac doesn't work. I take it in and the dealership says I could have hit road debris and would not cover any work on the ac, I would have to pay out of pocket. About a week later I get a letter in the mail about the ac recall and find out my compressor exploded on the inside due to faulty parts. 20,000 miles in and the car was eating a quart of oil every 2-3 days and still draining it and ran rough. The dealership said they have no idea what it is and they would not help in what they called "looking for problems that can't be reproduced". then not even a month later I get a letter about the recall and how I need to bring it in as quick as I can because some people 'may' be experiencing excess oil consumption, due to faulty parts. 40,000 miles in I'm getting the tcs light on with the cel flashing at me and the car stutters and looses power all while on the highway. Gives the code of P0324 (knock control system error). Dealership says it could be due to being driven rough and it is my fault. I shouldn't be driving 80 in a Chevy Spark (the highway speeds in Texas). The engine has a loud lifter tick in the heads. Dealership refuses to open them without a fault code that indicates a head issue. 47,000 miles in I have more misfires and error codes. Taking it back to the dealership to see what their excuse is this time.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 032014

Spark

Vehicle won't shift out of first gear. Not only is this very dangerous, but it is ruining the engine and transmission of the vehicle. This occurs about once a month at random times, and could very easily cause an accident. The dealer won't do anything to fix the problem, and has been very rude to my wife. I have been a lifelong Chevy guy, but I think I'm finally done. A Toyota or Honda is sounding really good right now!

- Mason, MI, USA

Apr 172015

Spark 4-cyl

I was driving down the interstate in rush hour and the engine started to hesitate and the engine light came on. With very sluggish acceleration I was able to make it to the shoulder and then the engine stopped. I was unable to start it and had it towed home. Battery checks out ok and everything is fine as far as I can tell with my trouble shooting but all the reviews I read point to Chevy having problems with the motor seizing on the Chevy Sparks and the motor needing to be replaced. I will be talking to the dealer today, just wondering why there is no recall on this issue yet. If contacted, I will update the NHTSA on this situation. If my 20 yr old daughter who just bought this car 3 months ago had been driving it at the time I'm not sure what the outcome would have been with the motor just stopping on her...very disturbing! thank you

- Romeoville, IL, USA

Feb 042015

Spark 4-cyl

May have been happening before above date but did not realize it....on dashboard there is no indication of which gear I am in(ie P D N R) and car has no pickup even when peddle to floor...when it does start moving it is very, very, very slow....noticed this several times and when it went in for hood latch recall asked them to check....of course they could not duplicate(recall was not done as to lack of parts) still was occurring occasionally.....went back again for recall latch work(done this time 3-11-15) when leaving check engine light was on...was told it was safe to drive, but I showed them the dashboard was not indicating gear...left it with them they R&R park neutral switch which they stated was filled with water.....this was very dangerous to me, at first I could either turn car off and restart to see indicator on dash or run thru the gears, but right before engine light came on I could do none of this/have read about this numerous times on a site call carcomplaints.com.......thank you

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 012014

Spark

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Spark. When the vehicle was started, the engine warning indicator illuminated. The failure occurred each time the vehicle was started. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000.

- Shelby, OH, USA

Nov 152014

Spark

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Spark. While driving at approximately 5 mph and shifting into first gear, the vehicle started to shutter and attempted to stall. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jan 312014

Spark 4-cyl

My wife and I bought this as a certified pre owned vehicle for her to drive from a local Chevy dealer on 1/24/15. We felt okay about the high miles with the vehicle being cpo and having gms 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty and 5 yr / 100,000 power train warranty. We only expected to be putting 12,000 miles a year on the vehicle so we thought we'd have a long trouble free ownership experience with it. That all changed 6 days later. We'd only driven it probably 100 miles since it was purchased and on 1/30/15 we were driving on the highway when all of the sudden the check engine light and traction control lights lit up and we lost all power. Luckily we were able to pull over safely. We called a tow truck and had it towed to the nearest dealer (not the one we purchased it from). The next morning we went to the dealer to discuss the problem and pick up a loaner. The service rep at the dealer explained that the problem was probably related to the PCV recall and his best guess was that there was damage done to the vehicle prior to the recall work being done. I wonder if this could have been / should have been something tested as part of their cpo process. We got a call on 2/3 from the service guy telling us they ordered a new engine and he hopped it would be in by 2/5 and that the vehicle would be available for us to pick up shortly after that. I'm pretty nervous after reading all the issues that others have had that this could be an ongoing problem and even with a new engine we may have the same or a similar problem. Time will tell I guess.

- Kentwood, MI, USA

Dec 192014

Spark

The car has been having clutch issues. Shifting into first gear from a stop causes the whole car to shake. This happens after mainly long drives. Driving back from boston MA, there was very heavy traffic which required me to stop and start frequently on the highway. Each time I had to start, the car shook violently and felt as it were going to stall. This makes it impossible to drive safely, as it does this when pulling out into traffic as well. Dealer said this would most likely not be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. The car is new and this should not be an issue. This issue is documented in many online forms as "intermittent clutch shudder".

- Newmarket , NH, USA

Nov 102014

Spark

I was driving down the highway going approximately 55-60 mph and a SUV runs a stop sign and pulls out in front of me on the highway. I hit the SUV. The SUV flees the accident. My car catches on fire on impact and my airbags fail to deploy. It was a frontal impact and I was going about 55 mph at impact. My car was deemed totaled.

- Paradise, TX, USA

Oct 262014

Spark

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Spark. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 7,000.

- La Habra, CA, USA

Oct 172014

Spark 4-cyl

Our daughter was driving home on the interstate for a visit from college. Warning lights came on and the car began to shake so she pulled over just as the car's engine turned itself off. She tried to re-start the car and after several attempts it started but was shaky and all lights were flashing. We had car towed to nearest dealer, they told us the engine failed and it would have to be replaced. She was given a rental, after aprox. Two weeks she picked her car up again with the new engine. Drove less then 10 miles on the new engine and once again she was on the interstate for another trip home when the engine failed again. It is currently at the dealership near her school. The people at brown & brown were/are being very helpful however I am now very concerned for my daughter's safety in this vehicle.

- Murphysboro, IL, USA

Aug 232013

Spark 4-cyl

Car stalls will put the pedal to the metal and will not advance. It will start to move slow after a while not reaching full speed. Transmission gear display will be blank in dash console. Car moves at a very high RPM reading. Transmission will kick if set on neutral and then shif to drive. This has happen twice in the short amount of time that we owe the car. The problem is that we have taken the car twice to the dealer but is working fine at such time so they can not detect the problem. First time it happen my wife was at a stop light and when it happen to me I had just started the car. This is a very serious and hazardous situation.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Nov 012013

Spark

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Spark. The contact stated that there was a loud noise coming from the engine. The vehicle was slow to start and hesitated upon changing gears. In addition, the contact stated that the ventilation controls failed to activate the heating and air conditioning system. The vehicle was taken to a dealer over five times and the failures were unable to be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 4,000.

- Morse, LA, USA