2003 Chevrolet Tahoe brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 272016

Tahoe

While braking a little harder than normal to avoid hitting a deer, the brake line just below the drivers area blew and the brakes went to the floor and the service alarms went off on the dash. I was going down hill at the time but still had enough brake to stop. I was going about 35 mph at the time of failure.

- Elmira, NY, USA

Jun 182016

Tahoe

Front brake line blew out just as I was pulling in my driveway.I bought the truck used in July of 2015 the brake lines rusted and peeling

- Severn, MD, USA

Apr 012016

Tahoe

I was on the highway when I had to slam on my brakes and the pedal just went to the floor I had no brakes at all. I was forced to steer into the ditch to avoid a collision. After having the truck towed home I discovered a brake line had popped due to rust. I understand this is an ongoing problem with these vehicles

- Metamora, IL, USA

Mar 312016

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe. While driving 60 mph in rainy weather, the brakes were abruptly applied to avoid a collision. The brakes did not respond and the contact swerved to avoid crashing into the rear of another vehicle. The contact crashed into a ditch. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed. The contact was not injured. The vehicle was able to be driven to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Metamora, IL, USA

Feb 262016

Tahoe

Metal brake line under truck burst. Looks like it rusted through. All other lines rusted also. Vehicle was parked in driveway.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Jan 222016

Tahoe

Driving on icy road anti lock brakes activated and brake line ruptured, adn was not able to stop.

- Lebanon, TN, USA

Dec 232015

Tahoe

Hard metal brake line failure during emergency, high pedal pressure, stop. No injuries. The vehicle was unable to avoid entering an intersection, as the lead car. Braking was firm, before pedal descended steadily toward the floor. Pumping provided some friction, but was unable to restore a minority of the system's capacity. The failure was a hole developed in the line, along its path to the passenger front brake caliper. The brake lines showed alarming corrosion levels, which while potentially understandable for a 13 year old northeast outdoor winter truck, was a symptom of catastrophic potential.

- Dover, MA, USA

Nov 092015

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe. While towing a 6000 pound trailer and descending down a hill at approximately 20 mph, the vehicle suddenly experienced catastrophic brake failure. The vehicle would not stop or slow down when the brakes were applied. The contact was able to drive into a field to eventually stop the vehicle. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Sandy Hook, VA, USA

Sep 082015

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

My wife was driving our 2003 Chevy Tahoe to the doctor's office without any warning brakes totally went out, god must have been watch over her because this could have been deadly, thank god for emergency brakes. GM state that the vehicle will stop when the brake line give away will that bull sh*t! this is the second vehicle that we have had brakes line go out on first my 2002 Chevy Silverado with 41000 miles on it and now our 2003 Chevy Tahoe with approximately 90¿000 both within a week of one other. Also my stepson has a 2006 Chevy Silverado that the brakes went out on two weeks ago is a hospital parking lot that was almost devastating.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Sep 052014

Tahoe

First incident occurred 9/05/2014. Second incident occurred 09/06/2015. First incident brake line was rusted and fluid pooled under truck. Brake line broke in driveway. Second incident the brake line was rusted and the truck was driving 20mph with children in the car on a busy street. There were no brakes to be used.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Aug 112014

Tahoe

Rusted brake lines resulting in failure of braking system. Brake lines should last longer than the service life of the vehicle. Hence no brake lines should ever be made out of steel. Especially on on a system as critical as the braking system. This failure could have costed me my family. The the ethical thing for any company to do. Is rectify the problem. I really don't understand why this would be an issue. We are talking about the braking system on a vehicle that by itself weighs 5,000 pounds. Without a trailer or any payload attached to it.many of people have not been as fortunate as myself. The vehicle is. Otherwise in excellent condition. To this day.if faulty ignition switches get recalled it's common sense to recall a brake issue. Especially since the brakes totally fail without any warning. I have been building cars since I was a kid.and this is a first. To see a brake line burst. Because of the corrosion. If GM doesn't want to recall these vehicles. The at least let the owners buy the parts and GM install them. And for GM to state that this a normal wear and tear issue. When was the last time anybody thought to check for rusted out brake lines when. They were changing the oil or doing a tune up.or changing brake pads or tires. Those are normal wear and tear owner maintenance issues. My 2004 Ford F350 has 220 thousand miles. Runs great to but the brake lines aren't rotting out of the vehicle. What GM is claiming is a extremely weak argument. Thanks for your time.

- North Port, FL, USA

Jun 062015

Tahoe

Brake failure caused by corroded brake lines. Incident occurred at boat ramp, could have easily lost truck in water. Master cylinder nearly empty and no indication of issue prior to failure. The truck gives warning with low washer fluid but not brake fluid" mechanic repairing broken lines, but how soon until another has issue"

- Chester, MD, USA

May 282015

Tahoe

Brake lines rusted out and leaked fluid resulting in brake failure

- Ventura, CA, USA

Apr 252015

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Was backing up to park and brake line ruptured sending brake pedal completely to the floor. I was able to safely park the car. When I checked on it later there was a puddle of brake fluid by the back driver side tire. Upon examining the brake lines a visible rupture could be seen behind the back driver side tire. The brakes lines had completely rusted out. Thank goodness I was already going slow don't want to imagine if I was on the highway and needed to stop.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Feb 252015

Tahoe

Stopped at mailbox to collect mail. Braked, put vehicle in park. Stepped on brake pedal to place vehicle in drive, felt 'pop' sensation in the pedal. Brake pedal went to floor. Upon visual inspection, at least one line has ruptured.

- Southbridge, MA, USA

Dec 232014

Tahoe

1) 12/23/2014 - sitting in pharmacy rx drive-thru with foot on brake. Without warning, brake pedal went to floor. Assessed problem and determined brake line feeding rear brakes burst from corrosion. Fixed brake line next day. 2) 1/27/2015 - ironically, sitting in fast-food drive-thru. Exact same as above occurred. Determined all 4 brake lines leading to the front of vehicle were split and corroded causing loss of fluid and full braking capability. I was fortunate (and lucky) that I was at a stand still each time this happened. Could have been catastrophic if I had been traveling at any speed. Especially with the size and weight of this vehicle.

- Conneaut, OH, USA

Jul 152013

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

This is the first of three (3) occasions that a metal brake line on this vehicle has ruptured. The results were an immediate and complete brake failure. I have to let the vehicle coast to a stop while using the emergency brake to assist. I live in a rural area so in all three times I was very lucky that were light or no traffic.

- Ocean View, DE, USA

Jan 032015

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Driving down a residential road approaching an intersection attempting to slow down and brakes failed, I was able to slow down enough(downshifting the transmission) to make a turn but not able to stop and narrowly avoided another car.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Dec 272014

Tahoe

Leaving my driveway brakes felt soft. Parked and pumped brakes twice and line that was rusted failed. Multiple lines that are rusted badly. No brake pedal what so ever.

- Leesport, PA, USA

Dec 132014

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

My 2003 Chevy Tahoe, due to premature corrosion my brake lines failed suddenly causing complete break failure. Thankfully I wasn't traveling at high speed so I was able to stop the vehicle safely and luckily my child and fiancÉ weren't in the vehicle. This could have been a very fatal accident if I was at high speeds. Let's get this taken care of and make sure people are safe.

- Miamisburg, OH, USA