2004 Chevrolet Tahoe electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Nov 142006

Tahoe 8-cyl

Started vehicle November 14,2006 speedometer is showing at between 70 mph and 120 mph when at full stop. Unable to figure out how fast I am going. Internet is showing that a lot of GMC SUV and truck owners from 2003-2006 are having this issue. Dealers and mechanics are charging between $600-$800 to repair.

- Falcon, CO, USA

Oct 122006

Tahoe

The speedometer started going way below the actual speed I was going. I'd have to turn the engine off and restart it and keep doing this until it gets back to normal. This went on for several weeks where it was fine, then it would drop below 0 at a stop sign, then would show 10 mph when I was actually doing about 35. Now it's doing just the opposite. The other night I looked down at the speedometer and almost panicked because it said I was going 90 mph! I was actually doing around 50. This is a very serious safety issue and GMC should recall.

- Garland, TX, USA

Oct 282006

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Speedometer reads 40 mph when actually travelling 70 mph.

- Columbia Falls, MT, USA

Nov 042006

Tahoe 8-cyl

My husband and I own a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe with 30,000 miles currently on it. We were driving home from supper last night when our speedometer quit working. We were doing 65 mph down a local highway when my husband looked down at his speed and the speedometer read 35. We stopped at a red light and the speed dropped to 0. when we accelerated, the speed stayed at 0 when we were doing at least 35. We then pulled over, turned the car off, recranked the car and then began driving. Still nothing. I have to say that this is definitely impacting our safety. We have no idea how fast we're driving. I googled the problem and found around 100 other GMC/GM car owners with the same problem. They are stating it costs between $500 and $700 to repair the problem and many times the problem still exists after the repairs. We have not contacted our local dealer because it is the weekend. We plan to call on Monday morning to find out the cost to fix the problem.

- Oxford, AL, USA

Jul 102006

Tahoe 8-cyl

Electrical panel does not work properly. Have not had a correct reading in months.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Oct 142006

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Speedometer no longer works. Reads to high, often staying at max speed or above while driving 55 to 65 mph. Reads ~50 mph while sitting still. Vehicle has miles.

- Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Oct 282006

Tahoe

At 37,000 miles, the speedometer on my 2004 Chevy Tahoe has stopped working. Reading erratically or not at all.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

May 012006

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe has a speedometer that does not work properly. Very erratic readings throughout speed range.

- Utica, NY, USA

Oct 122006

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Our Tahoe has 46295 miles on it. Last week, the speedometer became erratic. It sometimes works, but often shows speeds of 50-80 mph while the truck is in idle, and much higher when the truck is moving. After talking with many dealers, repair shops and other GM drivers, this is apparently a common problem that has not been addressed by GM. Apparently, the issue is with the instrument console, and other gauges may or may not be working as well. This is both a safety concern and a vehicle concern, as I may not know my correct speed, level of gas, etc.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 142005

Tahoe 8-cyl

2004 Chevy Tahoe speedometer quit working. Stays on 55 mph even when engine is off. Told it would be about $800 to fix. Now oil gauge is not working properly. It does not drop to zero. Oil in engine is at proper level.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 232006

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71. At 40,500 miles the speedometer has started acting erratically, registering speeds up to 70 mph when the vehicle is at a standstill and registering a variety of speeds (none of which are correct) when the vehicle is in motion. My dealership insists that they have never heard of this problem before, however, I have seen on various web sites where there are literally thousands of owners of Tahoe and Yukon that are experiencing this problem...it is unsafe.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Aug 092006

Tahoe 8-cyl

Speedometer is acting erratic, sometimes showing 35 mph when actual speed is somewhere around 70 mph. Other times it shows 0 mph. I'm concerned about this and wonder if there are other problems.

- Corona, CA, USA

May 012006

Tahoe

Speedometer suddenly began to register incorrect mph. 0 mph sometimes is 30 mph or 40 mph or up to 70 mph. This happens suddenly you will look down and it will show you are going 110 mph when you are really going 60-70 mph. Took it into the deal and was told they have had more than several of this same problem. Cost to repair was going to be approximately $500, was told no recall has taken place, but they believe this was a defect and we should keep the receipt. We decided at this point to hold out and see if there is a recall as the speedometer works correctly approximately 50% of the time at this point.

- Clarksville, AR, USA

Apr 192006

Tahoe 8-cyl

The speedometer on my 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe broke suddenly while driving. It went to a "0 speed" of 40 mph. In other words, while moving at 25 mph my speedometer read 65 mph. I had to immediately slow down and was forced to move off the roadway because I was a hazard to other traffic. This was the second such incident. In January 2005 the exact same thing happened as I was traveling at the posted speed limit of 70 mph. I slowed for traffic and as I accelerated back to the posted speed limit my speedometer read over 100 mph. I did not know my speed and was forced to pull to the side of a major freeway. That speedometer was replaced under warranty. However, the replacement only lasted 32194 miles and 15 months. Besides the obvious danger in having a speedometer fail suddenly, there is the inherent concern that even if I was involved in even a minor fender-bender, the police investigating the accident would inaccurately find I was driving 40 mph above my actual speed and the burden would be on me to prove otherwise. An almost impossible task.

- Fort Irwin, CA, USA

Jan 272006

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

My odometer stopped functioning on my 2004 Tahoe Z71. I brought it into the dealer under warranty. The dealer advised me that this was happening to all of the Tahoe's and they were back logged trying to get the parts. It took over a week to get my Tahoe back. The dealer said that they repaired my cluster. The hour meter has 279 hours less now than it did when I brought it in. The mileage had 4 more miles on it. I called and advised the dealer that the hour meter had 279 hours less and asked him if they repaired the cluster or replaced it" he said they repaired it. So I called my brother in-law who's been a mechanic for Chevy for over 29 years. He said that they had to replace the cluster and just reprogrammed the mileage and hours. Why would the dealer make a false statement to me and tell me that they repaired the cluster when they must have replaced it? also, why hasn't this been a recalled by Chevy" it's a safety hazard and is happening to all the Tahoe's. I have only driven it home, so I can not tell you if the problem has been permanently corrected.

- California City, CA, USA

Dec 182005

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

The contact stated while driving the speedometer became stuck on 0, 30 or 70 mph. She contacted the dealership, who determined the cluster was not working and needed to be replaced. Also, she contacted the manufacturer, and they documented the problem. Update 1/11/2006 -

- Paris, KY, USA

Dec 062005

Tahoe 8-cyl

When vehicle was left in the rain, the speedometer would become inoperable. Dealer replaced entire instrument cluster at $350. Dollars. This involved partial pulling of dash to access. Three weeks later the headlights stopped working. Discovered that the sensor mounted on dash had fallen inside the dash. Dealer claims that at the same time sensor un-attached, both headlights burned out simultaneously. They will not take any of the blame, and consider all events to be unrelated.

- St. Augustine, WI, USA

Sep 212005

Tahoe 8-cyl

Memory seat does not operate properly. When you use fob or key to access vehicle seats, climate, mirrors and radio randomly choose their own positions.

- Durango, CO, USA

Oct 162004

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

The driver's seat moves forward unexpectedly when the button for the heat is turned on, making the ability to see the mirror for the blind spot difficult. The doors locked on their own, which prevented entering and exiting from the vehicle. The manufacturer was contacted and was aware of the problem. The memory module that controlled the drivers seat, mirror, locks and foot pedals, did not stay in memory and would go out of control intermittently while the vehicle was in motion. The consumer would become unable to reach the pedal, gas pedal, the mirrors collapsed and had been locked out of the vehicle on several occasions.

- Antioch, IL, USA