2.1

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jan 232009

Tahoe

The driver side automatic seat quit working along with both the driver side and passengers side heated seats quit working as well. Passenger side automatic seat worked fine. We took the Tahoe into the dealer and they stated that the connector, under the drivers seat, was melted. They replaced the connector, however, the driver side automatic seat controls seem backwards. When you pull the leaver up, the seat goes down, and vice versa. I am very concerned that this malfunction may cause a fire.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Dec 222008

Tahoe

Occasionally smelled electrical burning inside vehicle. Ac/heater blower cut out but came back on. December 2008 ac/heater blower stopped completely. Went to dealership to confirm which fuse to check. Was told it was probably something else and made an appointment for diagnosis. January 2009 was notified that the blower motor resistor and connector shorted out and melted (not covered under extended warranty). After researching the issue contacted manufacturer about possible recall, was told they would split cost of repair. Dealer repair facility would not give us the faulty parts. Said manufacturer would get the faulty parts due to them agreeing to pay for half of the repairs. Still cost me $262 for diagnosis/repair. Total repair price originally $323. Many manufacturer vehicles have had same problem and I should not have had to pay anything. Faulty part was upgraded by manufacturer and has been the subject of several service bulletins.

- Escalon, CA, USA

Jan 072009

Tahoe

Speedometer shows 90 to 120 mph while diving 50 to 60 mph. Called dealer today and was told instrument cluster needs replaced at a cost of $500 to $600 to fix. This is a known problem, 03 and 04S have been recalled.

- Pemberville, OH, USA

Nov 222008

Tahoe

My 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe's speedometer is not working not only does my speedometer not work right it tells me IżM going 80 mph while parked. Believe it or not it quit working 200 miles after the warranty went out. The next week we got a letter from gmac saying that there is a problem with the dash, the speedometer or the gas gage may stop working. If you have 70,000 or less they will fix it at no cost to you and if you have already had it repaired, they will reimburse you.

- El Campo, TX, USA

Dec 252008

Tahoe

My speedometer jumps around and at any given time could read 20mph above my actual speed. When the vehicle is shut off, it sometimes sticks around the 10 to 20 mph mark. Nothing has been done to correct the defect.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Dec 292008

Tahoe

While traveling at 65mph on interstate, speedometer on my 2005 Chevy Tahoe, went arbitrarily up to 120mph and did not return to normal even after engine turned off and restarted- I can see that many others are dealing with the same problem - has there been a recall?

- Westbrook, ME, USA

Aug 012007

Tahoe

Our 2005 Tahoe has been having speedometer problems. It seems to not decrease speed when we slow down and when we accelerate the speed just keeps going up on speedometer until it pegs. We have noticed that there are recalls for several earlier year models but not on the 2005 model. If we get in an accident, police could say we are going faster than we are and our insurance company could deny the claim. Also a possibility of a speeding ticket not knowing how fast you are going. Major safety issue!!!!! the speedometer problem happens randomly. We only drive the vehicle approximately 100 miles a week. Speedometer acts up 2 to 3 times a week.

- Waterloo, IL, USA

Nov 292008

Tahoe

The speedometer on my 2005 Tahoe is reading incorrectly. The other day I was traveling down the interstate when I looked down at my speed and the gauge was reading 120mph. I pulled off at the next exit when I came to S a stop; the speedometer was indicating 60mph. It has been 3 days since this happened and it still gives the same false readings.

- Navarre, FL, USA

Nov 052008

Tahoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe. Speedometer started reading higher than it should. I go 60 and speedometer reads 90. When I stop speedometer stays at 30. GM has recalled 03-04 but not 05 models. I have spoken with several dealers and several chat rooms and several of the 05's are having the same problem. Called GM they said my VIN was not in the recall. I told them that I had the same problem as everyone else. They said I had to get a diagnostic test on the vehicle then they would review and decide if they would pay for the repair. This is ridiculous. It is obvious a problem with the 05 models. GM should repair these.

- Hodgenville, KY, USA

Sep 142007

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that the speedometer would remain at 50 mph, even if she was not accelerating. The gauge never displayed zero. While the vehicle was stationary, the speedometer would occasionally display 120 mph. In addition, the transmission was malfunctioning and would slip into gear hard. The entire transmission was rebuilt three times. Even after the transmission was repaired, the speedometer still malfunctioned. It became stuck at 120 mph and never decreased. The contact discovered NHTSA campaign id number 05V055000 (power train:manual transmission:shift pattern indicator). The dealer stated that the vehicle would not be repaired because it exceeded 70,000 miles. The manufacturer would not provide any information due to a pending class action suit. The current mileage was approximately 105,000 and failure mileage was 68,583.

- Oak Grove, LA, USA

Aug 062008

Tahoe

Instrument cluster panel on my 2005 Chevy Tahoe that was manufactured in July, 2004 is defective. GM will not warrant this model because it has the year 2005 on; however, it was manufactured in 2004. Our 2004 had the same problem and was warranted. I cannot afford to pay this repair and have no idea what speed I am driving. I could speed excessively without knowing and cause an accident. I could drive below the speed limit and get rear-ended. It's apparent this is an-ongoing issue and GM should warrant the 2005 as well.

- Rancho Mirage, CA, USA

Jun 282008

Tahoe

Speedometer does not read right speeds.

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

Jan 282008

Tahoe 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that the fuel gauge on the instrument panel indicated half a tank. While driving 75 mph, the vehicle ran out of gasoline. He had to maneuver across four lanes of traffic and avoid several near crashes. The following day, after a full tank of gas was placed in the vehicle, the fuel gauge indicated that the fuel tank was empty. The dealer stated that there were no recalls on his year, make, and model vehicle. The contact also stated that the other instrument panel cluster illuminated intermittently. The failure mileage was 42,000 and current mileage was 47,000. Updated 09/10/08 the consumer stated the oil gauge did not work and the light on the instrument panel intermittently displayed passenger air bag off. Updated 09/17/08. Updated 03/04/09. The consumer stated he was experiencing major electrical problems. There appeared to be a short in the headlights and taillights. Updated 03/06/09.

- Brownwood, TX, USA

Apr 022008

Tahoe 8-cyl

The speedometer on our 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe lt does not function properly. Sometimes we are going slower than it shows and other times we are going faster. For example, we may be driving 65 mph but it will show 120 mph. Or we may be driving 45 mph but it shows 70 mph. And sometimes it works. You just never know for sure. This is dangerous and obviously an ongoing problem with the Chevrolet Tahoe as we know of a recall with the 04 Chevrolet Tahoe having this same problem. Also, the air conditioner on the driver's side will start blowing hot air all of the sudden and continue to do so until the car is turned off and restarted. However, I am not nearly as concerned with this as with the speedometer. I feel strongly that there needs to be a recall in this situation asap and Chevrolet needs to address this problem. I should not have to pay to have this fixed.

- Anacooc, LA, USA

May 012008

Tahoe 8-cyl

The instrument cluster on my 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe has malfunctioned. Vehicle only has 27,559 miles on it. Looks like a known problem by GM as they settled a lawsuit with delphi and this should be recalled and fixed at no cost.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Jul 102006

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

The contact stated while driving 40 mph there was a clunking noise and the vehicle stalled completely. The vehicle was taken to a service dealer, where the on-board computer was replaced. Updated 9/11/2006 - when the vehicle stalled power brakes and power steering function was lost. The vehicle had to be towed to the dealer.

- King Ferry, NY, USA

Dec 192005

Tahoe 8-cyl

My complaint is a steady vibration in the steering wheel while my 2005 Tahoe is idling in traffic, car in gear, basically crawling along in traffic. Although vibration never gets to the point of seeing the steering wheel physically shake, the vibration gets stronger after the vehicle has been running (gets hotter). Vibration creates a sensation similar to a low electrical current running up your arm. After sitting in traffic for 30 to 40 minutes, your fingertips become almost numb. Vehicle has bee back to the dealership twice for this problem and has been reported directly to GM. GM's response is that the vibration is caused by an electrical fan running after the vehicle gets heated and can not be resolved.

- Tampa, FL, USA