2007 Chevrolet Tahoe drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2007 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 212016

My strabilitrak and service traction control began flashing on and caused the brake lights to turn off. Then it reads, engine power is reduced. This began in November 201. I have taken it three times to be fixed. First I was told it was the throttle body, then a switch gear, then a fuel induction cleaning service. It is still happening, just twice this week. The engine slowing down while on the freeway proves to be deadly. In reviewing comments in the many consumers are having the same issues with the same results (a guessing game) why isn't this a recall?

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Feb 142016

My 2007 Tahoe all of the sudden started shaking and bucking while driving with my wife and two small kids (on valentines! wife was not happy). The service engine light came on as well as warning messages saying the traction control failed, check brake system and service stabilink system. It limped to our house and then it stalled and eventually was very hard to start. I took it to the dealership next morning and was told that the #6 lifter collapsed and they needed to check the camshaft to see if that was damaged. IżM still waiting on the call to see what the total damage is but I was told it was the active fuel management system. I also saw a lot of people's complaints online of the same thing. GM needs to own up and recall this issue. The estimate I got was around $3,500-$4,500 to repair this.

- Denton, TX, USA

Feb 102016

Rear end went out at 150K. Dash cracked near passenger airbag radio don't work if it's raining

- Nashville, TN, USA

Dec 102015

I was driving down the road and I lost all power and all my lights came on on my dash I just about got hit from behind

- Santa Claus, IN, USA

Oct 212015

While driving or idling, vehicle displays error messages stating "reduced engine power", "stabilitrak system disabled" and "service traction control." The engine power reduces and the vehicle hesitates upon acceleration. It is difficult to get the vehicle to accelerate, especially in lower gears. Sometimes the vehicle completely loses power in the middle of driving and all control of the vehicle is lost. This has occurred both on city streets and major highways. Purchased the vehicle used about 5 months ago and it began doing this at after about two weeks of ownership. Took it to a Chevrolet dealership and they said the throttle body was sticking and needed to be replaced. The problem seems to be getting worse over the last few weeks. The vehicle is now stalling on a regular basis (about 1-3 times every time it is driven). The problem is worse when it rains a lot outside. I am afraid to drive the vehicle with my children inside because I have lost power on in the middle of a major interstate twice.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Jan 012014

1. lift gate failed and hurt my arm on or about Jan 1 2014. I need repaired asap! 2. dashboard cracked above steering column and cracked by air bag passenger side. I need repaired asap. GM refused to acknowledge thousands of consumers having the same effects to their dashboard. 3. timing chain went off time and bent a cylinder which caused serious damage 9/2014 cost of damages at approximate $4500 GM refused to acknowledge deficiencies. I paid out of pocket the $4500 with no assistance. I also paid $250 for estimates at the GM dealer in kingston mass. They refused to help and give assistance on any of these 3 major safety problems after submitting the dealer bona fide report.

- Centerville, MA, USA

Mar 202015

I have 3 issues. Low power which read a lot of people have the same issue (bad torque converter).bad oil loss. Which everyone seems to have.which the won't fix. Transmission slipping which everyone is having and is not the transmission it's electrical. I was told to send a complaint in to you guys. I have read alot on this car and these are very common problems with the 07 Tahoe and I have all 3.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Feb 142015

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving in the snow going 5mph and the tires began to spin. The car was in automatic for 4 wheel drive but did not kick into 4 wheel drive so I slid off the road. I was off road on a slight incline and the car wouldnt go into 4 wheel drive. It said service 4 wheel drive and the knob will turn but the 4 wheel drive will not activate. Nothing happened other than the car not going to 4 wheel drive when the knob has been turned.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 172014

Tahoe 8-cyl

My 2007 Tahoe sputtered and hesitated as I approached a stop sign. As I stopped stability control / traction control dashlights appeared as well as the check engine, they both blinked and dash read service stabilitrak, and service traction control. As I pulled from stop sign the tranny slammed into 2nd gear with a bang and I was barely accelerating pulled over and shut the car off. When I tried to restart it just turned over. It took a few tries to get it to start, and when it did I smelled a strong smell of unburned fuel from the exhaust. I will contact GM to file complaint as my Tahoe has only 97K on it. Hopefully it's covered by warranty.

- Crescent City, CA, USA

Nov 062009

Tahoe 8-cyl

Front differential started making a very loud noise. It became even louder in 4-wheel drive. While in 4-wheel drive the vehicle didn't feel right. I brought to the dealer who stated water got into the differential, and it had to be rebuilt. This is the 3rd time I have had an issue with the front differential. All 3 times, including this one, was due to the failure of the pinion seal. The first repair on 11/06/09 was covered under gms manufacturers factory warranty. The next 2 repairs, including this one, cost me a total of $1,435.49. I can only wonder how dangerous it was driving around in 4 wheel drive with a differential that was ready to catastrophically fail?

- Saint John, IN, USA

Dec 112013

The forward sprag unit broke which ended up not only causing the vehicle to come out of drive while we were driving but also caused significant enough damage to the transmission to requite an entire rebuild. Faulty transmissions are a very common issue with this vehicle and because the company refuses to back their products and recall the issue, it ends up becoming a huge financial burden on a family. Thankfully there was no one following directly behind us when this happened or it could have been much worse. Chevrolet needs to take note and stand behind their products. Consumers have a right to expect a quality vehicle that should last well beyond 100K miles without requiring this kind of major repair.

- Reno, NV, USA

Sep 072013

Tahoe 8-cyl

I recently experienced a known electrical issue for the first time yesterday. I just had my Tahoe at the dealer last week for strange clacking noise under the hood. They stated I would just have to wait until it did it again. Yesterday everything went haywire and my Tahoe appeared possessed. Door locks, gearing shifting was affected making it difficult to drive and steer due to loss of power steering, which could have caused serious risk to others around me and my two children in the car. Turning to the internet and finding that I am one of what is probably thousands complaining of the same issue makes my extremely concerned that GM is not looking out for its current and future customers. I will be filing a complaint with the attorney general's office, ntsb and now with the state of nc immediately. Not only have we dealt with this issue. We have long dealt with the oil consumption issue that GM continues to say is "normal" consumption. Extremely disappointed in GM and how they are handling major component issues. We also own a Jeep Wrangler and they are been absolutely amazing anytime we have an addressable issue.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Aug 102013

Tahoe 8-cyl

Went to dinner and drove home with no indication of any problems. Pulled up to a stop sign, stopped and began to drive forward. Suddenly we heard a loud bang, the RPM's raced to 4K and the vehicle was stuck sitting at the stop sign. No drive, or 3rd. We were able to move it in reverse and slightly in 2nd but had to strain up hill to get our car and kids home in the dark in 1st gear. Got home and checked my transmission fluid because it had been flushed 14K miles ago and I wanted to make sure there was a proper amount of fluid in the transmission not causing this issue. Transmission fluid was pink, clean and measured where it should on the dipstick. I researched transmission problems on the internet in which people had the same no forward movement in 3 or 4 but 1, 2 and rev. Ok. found out that there is an issue that thousands of people are having with the 4L60E transmission that GM has produced due to a faulty forward sprag component that was built with cheap stamped metal and they released a tsb pertaining to an updated component! I do not tow anything with Tahoe and have made it to 113K miles on my transmission. Im being challenged to provide records of my transmission service being done. I have worked for a car dealer as a service advisor for 10+ years and have always purchased all of my parts from a GM dealer to ensure my vehicle would run and drive properly. I am fortunate enough though to not have to pay the dealership labor rate as I have one of my technician to perform my services regularly. I just purchased fluid from our GM dealer and had a complete trans flush at 100K miles like recommended by GM. It has been a problem since 2008 and vehicles affected by this causing a tsb release were not due for trans service yet! it is evident that this problem is not due to lack of maintenance but from poor quality parts that GM claims are built to last! junk!

- Jacobus, PA, USA

Apr 202013

Tahoe 8-cyl

My wife was accelerating from our street onto a major highway when the engine nearly shut down. Her speed was reduced to just 5 mph and the dashboard flashed engine power reduced, service stabilitrak, and service traction control. Unfortunately, she knew exactly what this was since this is the third time this has happened in this car in the last 18! we took it to our dealer and they tested the vehicle and diagnosed that the accelerator pedal sensor had failed again! we are extremely uneasy with the car now since each time this has occurred, it has been while one of us was accelerating onto a highway or interstate. On the previous occasion, she had to quickly move away from oncoming traffic...with our children in the car. The dealer indicated that they see this problem very often, but not this much in one car. This is obviously a defective part and should be checked into immediately.

- Belle Chasse, LA, USA

Apr 062013

Tahoe 8-cyl

After driving approx 3 miles, my "stabilitrak off", "traction control off", ABS light, check engine light all came on, simultaneously. My speedometer and other gauges started swinging from left to right and then flatlined, my power locks, "locked and unlocked". when the transmission shifted, the whole Tahoe jerked. When I arrived at my destination approx 3 miles further and turned the engine off, attempted to re start and it wont start. This is the fourth time this has happened in two weeks. I have taken to a Chevy dealer twice to diagnose. Both times they said they cannot find the cause, and all they can do is reset the error codes.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Jul 302012

My vehicle is experiencing excessive oil consumption due to the active fuel management(displacement on demand) feature. The vehicle consumes approximately 1quart every 1000 miles...the oil is burned through the pistons causing blue-ish colored smoke to come out of the tail pipe. The vehicle comes not a drop of oil if the active fuel management is turned off. Every single vehicle from GM that I have tested has had excessive oil consumption due to the active fuel management feature. After that feature is turned off, no oil is consumed. 1 quart of oil is burned is as little as 300 miles. This can cause the vehicle's engine to shut off at any rate of speed due to the oil pressure caused by not having enough oil in the engine. General Motors has tried fixing my vehicle and others by replacing the lifters, camshaft, pistons, piston rings, etc..this fix has not worked and many vehicles continue to have excessive oil consumption. Vehicles affected range from year 2007 and up (present). My vehicle also has various transmission issues which causes the vehicle to shut down in the middle of my driving and greatly increasing the risk of an accident. General Motors has had various repairs but have been unsuccessful. This is a problem for GM SUV's with the 4-speed transmission. The oil consumption issue is way more serious than the transmission problem because many people have been affected more by the oil consumption problem. Excessive oil consumption also damages the earth's environment because of the excessive smoke coming from the tailpipes.

- Huntington Park, CA, USA

Jul 102012

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe. While parked, the contact was unable to place the gear shifter into drive. The contact was only able to place the vehicle in reverse. Previously, the contact noticed that while accelerating, the RPM reading would increase dramatically. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Mar 012012

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

2007 Chevrolet Tahoe. Consumer states several issues with vehicle and request information on recalls, service bulletins, warranties or lemon law the consumer stated the cruise control down shifted to 2nd while driving at highway speeds and on hills, the starter would hang, there was a noise coming from the ac compressor. The transmission was replaced. However, it continued to hesitate after the vehicle was started, as well as a vibration. There was a clicking noise coming from the differential, the idle needle would rise, while at a stop, the battery drained, the engine stalled, the dash was cracked, there was a problem with the suspension, the tire pressure monitoring system was repaired three times, the passenger side mirror was inoperable, the weather strip had come off the vehicle and there was a clicking noise coming from the U-joint.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Dec 152010

I was at a stop light, and the problem happened unexpectedly when I pressed on the gas when the light turned green. My car moved forward just slightly, jerked hard to a complete stop, and it wouldn't drive anymore. I was able to get pushed to the side in neutral, but needed a tow to the dealer. The only working gears were R, 3, 2, and 1. bringing it into the dealer, they confirmed there was a problem with the transmission. I had done some research when this happened and noticed that a lot of people had the same problem, all in the same type of scenario where they were at a complete stop. Second issue, not nearly as major is the stabilitrak. The light goes on and off constantly, pretty much from the first year I've had the car. And lastly, the interior chrome door handles have all peeled off and cut me and my passengers several times. The exterior door handles have come loose, the fuel pocket is completely broken, and after a heavy rain, water gets trapped inside the shell of the back door and sloshes around while I'm driving. I have to remove the bottom lining of the door for the trapped water to be released.

- Temple City, CA, USA

Jan 012008

Truck rolls back when on incline even while in park, and it does not stop, I also noted truck would not go into V$ mode and was shifting a little rough in lower gears. July of 2008 took to bob stall Chevrolet for oil change and asked for it to be checked (as well as power system) returned to pick up my vehicle and they insisted tranny was fine as there were no error codes. I mentioned power issue and they claimed to not have time to test (they had the truck all day, it was also not on the roll) unsatisfied I returned again with the truck for another issue (moldings) and asked for it to be tested. Received my truck at end of day with moldings fixed but only an assurance my transmission was fine and all was normal, not even mention off battery problem. I returned then a third time to dealer and had to insist they drive the truck and full test transmission. After having my truck a full day I finally was informed that yes my tranny had a problem. Their tranny tech drove it and noted the problem in lower gears and after inspection (opened up transmission) discovered burnt bands. My transmission was rebuilt with 2 clutch packs replaced. Issue of roll back was claimed to be normal. It took several attempts for this issue to be taken care of and I feel the diversion wa sintentional.. a few more miles.. out of warranty.. poof they would have kindly discovered problem then charged me for it. I have also heard of several others with transmission issues and suspect a design or assembly flaw.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA