2012 Chevrolet Volt seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Volt:

2012 Chevrolet Volt Owner Comments

Jan 282016

Volt

My 2012 Chevrolet Volt started experiencing problems with the sensor that detects the weight of a individual in the seat. The problem has progressively gotten worse and began around 19,000 miles. It has gotten to a point where if I have a passenger in the car, the air bag warning light will come on after they exit the car. Several other owners in the Volt owners club and various other forums have experienced a similar issue. In my car the air bag warning light comes on when someone rides in the passanger seat and then gets of. The "service air bag" message will stay on untiil I turn of the car or push the seat cushion with my hand. The problem is that GM is not covering the cost on a car with less than 32,000 miles. Leaving customers with a bill of 800 dollars to fix a component that should last the lifetime of the car. As time progresses it seems to problem is becoming more common place and owners are stuck with the bill. The biggest problem is that the airbag may fail to deploy in the event of a crash.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Mar 202016

Volt

I was traveling on a straight city street when I was struck by a vehicle coming off a side street that had lost control of their car. I was hit on the drivers side door. I was going about 25 mph. I hit my head on the door frame above the drivers side window. The side air bag did not deploy. I was taken to the hospital where I had a ct scan of my head and neck performed. I had a slight concussion (memory loss). Had head and neck pain after the accident. My car was a total loss.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Oct 062015

Volt

I was making a left hand turn and was hit by an SUV who ran a red light doing about 35 or 40 miles per hour on front of my car. It hit the front of my car spinning it to the right [about 160 degree turn] when my car spun I hit the back of my head and left shoulder on the door pillar, my head hurt and I was dazed. The airbags had not gone off I hit the onstar button nothing happened I smelled burning so I turned the car off and got out. I now have a minor concussion due to the failure of the airbags to deploy.

- Fremont, CA, USA