Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Since the Chrysler 200 first hit the streets, owners across the U.S. have complained about how their “dream car” quickly turned into a complete nightmare because of how the engine dies suddenly while driving.

2011 Chrysler 200 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler 200:

2011 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments

Jul 122012

When at a complete stop or low speed vehicles kicks like it is going to stall. This has happened since the purchase of the vehicle it was taken to the dealership two times in the beginning and the service technicians were not able to find the problem or feel it hesitate. The car was taken twice once in 2012 then 2013 problem could not be found. I have had the car for three years and this problem comes and goes. On 08/31/2015 the car finally stalled out when I was going to enter the highway. The car completely shut off and I was able to turn it back on once it came to a complete stop. At this point the check engine light came on and I was able to drive the car to the dealership. The dealership has indicated it is the crank shaft sensor and a harness that needs replacement. They received several codes when hooked up to the diagnostic machine and were not able to determine what the problem was until two days after it was in the shop. This is a problem that has been going on since I first purchased the vehicle and am quite surprised that there is no recall since we do run the liability of being involved in a car accident by getting hit from behind due to the car hesitating when accelerating after a complete stop.

- Socorro, TX, USA

Jan 112015

200 6-cyl

Sunday afternoon I came to a stop to make a left turn. I proceeded I made it into the parking lot and that's when the car engine shut off. I put brakes on immediately to avoid hitting a car because I could not turn my wheel because power steering was off because engine shut off. Scared me. I took it to robersons dealership 2 weeks prior to this because it did it twice. They ran computer test found nothing wrong. And then today this happened. I am scared. I will take car back to dealership tomorrow. Monday Jan 12 2015. I then read this has happened to others and Chrysler did find a problem but NHTSA did not force them to recall. Someone could get killed if car stalls while crossing a road and get slammed into. This is in excusable, and needs to be recalled. I am scared and furious and shaken up. The steering felt weird right before it happened.

- Independence , OR, USA

Jan 022015

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 200. While driving approximately 42 mph, the contact stopped the vehicle to make a left turn. While stopped, the vehicle accelerated on its own. The vehicle was able to be driven to the contact's residence. The authorized dealer was notified of the issue. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired, but an appointment for diagnostic testing was scheduled. The failure occurred on several occasions. The VIN provided was incorrect. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Saint Claire, MI, USA

Nov 112014

The car all of a sudden would not go pass 10mph. I put the gas pedal to the floor and it would not go pass 10mph. The throttle light came on and another light. Then it drove fine, then it didn't.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 022014

200 6-cyl

While coming down a steep hill, I put my car in low gear, 2nd to be exact. During the process of being in second gear, my brake light came on while going down the hill. This has never happened before and I only have $24,000 miles on my vehicle.

- Elmira, NY, USA

Sep 012012

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the battery warning light illuminated as the vehicle accelerated independently. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic but the failure could not be diagnosed. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- Montgomery , AL, USA

Dec 122012

200 4-cyl

While setting the cruise control on this rental vehicle (enterprise car rental), my knee accidentally bumped the ignition which ended up turning the car off. Realizing that the car was slowing down, I assumed that the cruise control setting hadn't taken. I tried to give the car gas manually and couldn't get the car to speed up. Unable to maintain speed, I attempted to maneuver the car to the shoulder amongst trucks and cars going 65 mph + on the 3 lane interstate highway. The hazards and turn signals were inoperable and the steering locked up. I narrowly escaped collision. I was able to restart the car on the shoulder and continue traveling.

- Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA

Oct 102012

I stopped at a red light, light went green and I let off the brake and car doesn't move. I pushed the gas and it still doesn't move. Also the engine makes no noise.. car was still on so I had to put in park and turn car off and restart to get it going. Very dangerous and this is the third time its happened.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 072012

200 4-cyl

While traveling on the highway at 70mph the engine just stopped with no warning.

- Kirkwood, MO, USA

Aug 252012

Stopped at red light, light turns green, I stepped on the gas & nothing happened.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Jan 252012

200 6-cyl

Check eng light on, traction control and antilock and cruise control inop.

- Manchester, NH, USA