Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Since the Chrysler 200 first hit the streets, owners across the U.S. have complained about how their “dream car” quickly turned into a complete nightmare because of how the engine dies suddenly while driving.

2011 Chrysler 200 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler 200:

2011 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments

Aug 122016

Driving 60mph on the interstate. Slowed to 45-50mph for traffic congestion. Tried to accelerate again but gas pedal didn't respond. Didn't realize engine had stalled. Drifted over to slow lane to try to stop. Power steering and brakes went out. Put it in neutral and turned the ignition. Was able to get off the highway and drive to the dealership for repairs.

- Garner, NC, USA

Nov 072015

I bought my 200S to commute back and forth to work. I drive 114 miles a day. This car has become very unsafe. Not buy this car* it was an ok car until recently. 3 times in the last 3 weeks my car has stalled out. Every time it stalls out I loose break and searing functionality. Very dangerous. Twice it has stalled out while coming to a stop in stop and go traffic. I lost the ability to control my car while on a major hwy 45 in houston. Not a place you want to be and feel helpless. Luckily I was able to quickly shift into neutral and restart the vehicle before I got into an accident. The third time was a lot closer call. My car stalled out while I was slowing down on a hwy to hwy on ramp. (almost causing me to hit the lane divider) I had to use my emergency break and all my strength to control the vehicle and bring it to a stop. At that point I had cars backing up behind me and honking. Luckily I was able to start the car and drive away. (this could have gone a much different way. On a single lane on ramp from beltway 8 to hwy 249 4-5 stories in the air with cars all moving at 45-65 mph my car stalled in a 90 degree turn. I'm lucky I'm not dead.) I have taken it to a mechanic shop but they can not find the problem. It is not causing the check engine light to come on and not throwing any codes.

- League City, TX, USA

Mar 192015

200 6-cyl

The original date is Sept. 2012. I was unable to enter this info above. I have been having problems with unexpected loss of power, (falling dead) since 2012. It normally happens when I am going slow due to being in traffic. I am stopped or barely moving and when we start moving I press on the accelerator and it will not go because it has fallen dead. I have to put my flashers on, pull over if possible, put the gear in park, turn off the engine and restart the car and it is good to go. There have been times this happens if I am at a stop light also when this occurs. The next issue is the low tire pressure light comes on most times when the weather changes. I have taken the car to a tire repair shop and was told when we have extreme weather changes, this will happen and to check the tire pressure every 3 weeks. This is costing me $5/trip for pressure checks. I have taken my car back to the dealership when I started having these problems, they checked the car, did a test drive, kept it overnight and said no problems were found. Very disappointing and frustrating.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 202015

I was operating vehicle on surface streets at approximately 35 mph when the vehicle slowed down and would not accelerate to more than 20 mph. I took the vehicle to a local Chrysler dealer and it was diagnosed with a worn out throttle body. The part was replaced at considerable expense as the car was out of warranty. I was told by several parties that this failure was premature and the internal parts wore out because they were defective. The mechanic told me he replaces a lot of these throttle bodies.

- Oakwood Village, OH, USA

Mar 312011

200 6-cyl

I see some Chrysler products are being recalled due to a faulty valve in the gas tank. I have a 2011 200 that may have the same problem. I have a 16.9 gallon tank. After 13 gallons, something turns the gas pump off. It is impossible to get more than 13 gallons in the tank. I have had the tank drained by Chrysler to verify my claim. Which they did. They told me they were designed that way to prevent over filling. The last Chrysler mechanic I talked to says its a flaw in the gas tank. Chrysler will not admit there is a problem. Could this be the same problem?

- Indian Head Park , IL, USA

Sep 162011

200 6-cyl

I purchased a 2011 Chrysler 200 in July of 2011. I have had multiple incidents where my vehicle has stalled with my foot on the brake sitting at a stop light. I have taken in the vehicle to be serviced 4 times in 1 year for this reason. And I have been told each time it is something different causing the problem. Also I have had two incidents where my vehicle would not start. I have had to have it towed twice in one month to the dealership, and both times I have been told it was my fuel pump. And there is one other time I took my vehicle in because it would have a slow crank and this incident I was told it was my battery so they replaced that. Also just to mention my vehicle is currently only has 17,280 miles on it.

- Tucson , AZ, USA

Mar 012012

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning while attempting to accelerate after a complete stop. The failure was experienced several times. The dealer stated that the failure could have been due to a fuel delay. The failure mileage was 6,100 and the current mileage was 12,625.

- Osprey , FL, USA