2012 Chrysler 200 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 200:

2012 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments

May 312016

Takata recall: There is a problem with the electronic throttle control light that causes the car to decelerate randomly, in combination with a ticking sound that comes from the air bag area of the glove box that is exacerbated by the ac and the heat being turned on. I feel that the car is unsafe to drive, although it says there is no open recall on these components. This happened several times to me on the expressway today.

- Southfield, MI, USA

May 222016

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving at 70 mph, the headlights failed without warning. The contact also stated that the traction control, the cruise control and the ABS warning lights were illuminated. The contact also stated that there was a grinding noise coming from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Apr 182016

2012 Chrysler 200 shut off while driving (slowing down coming to a stop sign) with no warning. All power was gone. This happened in July of 2015 and tipm was replaced under extended warranty. Told another faulty tipm and was replaced under part warranty with no cost to me. Any time a vehicle shuts off without warning while driving is extremely hazardous! first time vehicle had approx 65,000 miles. This time approx 80K

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Mar 102016

"takata recall" the issue is in the electrical warning system. The warning indicates air bag. Air bag light is on and has stayed on continues to stay on. It does not flash it just stays on. On the start of the vehicle once the ignition switch is turned on and the car is running. It continues to stay on while vehicle turned on and running. I believe it may be a recall with the modular.

- Carroll, IA, USA

Jul 222015

2 weeks ago ABS and ESC light are on all the time when engine running, after I test the car they find ABS module-ESC module need to be replaced, how is this possible car have only 21.500 miles, cost is:$760 dollars, care have expired warranty in March this year, and 18 more months power train warranty, I call Chrysler, they say I need to pay because car have no basic warranty anymore, that is not right, so now I driving without ABS even if I have money I am just scared that same ABS module going to be bad after 2-3 years and I need to replace again,

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Jul 132015

200 9-cyl

I was driving at normal condition at 35 miles per hour, at one time, the ABS and ESC light come on the dashboard, there is no rain no snow, no excessive braking or speeding or turning, since 4 days passed, the lights come on every day when engine running. Updated 11/04/15

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Nov 112003

Transmission goes in to limp mode, does not go over 30 miles jerking speeding up and slowing down, wont start and check engine light comes on goes off

- Reidsville, NC, USA

Apr 222015

Stopped at a red light, up until then car was driving fine, made a left turn and the 200 loss power and stalled out. The etc light and traction control light came on out the corner of my eye, next thing I know I was plowed into by another car. After doing more research, I have seen this problem come up time after time. The electronic throttle actually has plastic gears, plastic gears that control the opening of the throttle valve im sure those teeth will wear out on nearly every car and cause problems.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 052014

Under normal driving conditions all of a sudden the vehicle accelerates on its own. The engine stalls and loss of steering. The electronic throttle control warning light comes on and blinks, as well as the engine light and the traction control light comes on. Acceleration is only at 20% of what it normally is with intermittent thrust of power followed by engine failure. This lasts for several miles then the problem seems to disappear. Chrysler has no idea a out this problem with there vehicles and if U take it to an auto repair place. It says the vehicle is fine when they plug it in. I did some research on this to find out what to do and the internet is swamped by people with this car, this same year or around the same year... with the same problem. This vehicle is unsafe. Logic suggests that Chrysler wont voluntarily recall this vehicle for financial reasons which is understandable but at the same time I don't wanna die because I cant control this car when it has the above mentioned "episode".

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Feb 072012

200 6-cyl

When purchased this car, noticed that it pulled severly to the left, spoke to dealer ship and they stated that it was normal for front wheel drives to do so. So I continued to drive this car but always having to be on alert when driving on highway if car was going to jerk off road. This car handles horrible! I do not feel safe in this vehicle and do not feel if any control was lost, that I would be able to regain control due to this. The dealership has denied that I have ever brought this up, but when my brakes started squealing around $7000 mile I then brought it up again and they told me I needed a front end alignment and new brakes! ok I just bought the car... I told them no, how could that be. Well since then my car has had to have the cylander replaced and they have addressed the jerking with a front end alignment which by the way did not do anything. It still is hard to control and could only do 30 mile an hr in snow before it would loose control. I have more complaints and have addressed Chrysler to no avail. They just tell me its the make of the car and that my brakes squealing are because asbestos is no longer in brakes. I told them that I was not born yesterday and have driven more cars than this and never have had this problem. They offered me an extended warrenty and stated that was all anyone could do. I am a very unhappy customer and becasue I am in a lease I can not get out of this car. Only when it crashes will anyone maybe do anything about this. I am seeking the state attorney in Idaho to see if they can help resolve this issue.

- Caldwell, ID, USA

Dec 032013

Excessive "fish tailing" in minimal snowy conditions, very unstable, absolute death trap. I felt like I was going to end up smashing into a passing car or truck. Drove for 30 miles per hour for 260 miles while there wasn't more than one inch on snow on the ground because the rear end of the car was swing in all directions, my wife and daughter terrified. I just bought the car back in August 2013 thus a few months ago and had no issues driving on dry ground but only in snow and wet conditions.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Apr 172013

200 6-cyl

This Chrysler 2012 200 started to have brake squealing issues at about 7,000 miles I went to dealership and they told me that it was probably just being broke in since I purchased this car at 200 miles on it. The problem continued and no one at the dealership would address this problem. I then told them they had to do something about it and they then told me that there was not a fix for this that Chrysler could not fix this problem. And that they the dealership dennis dillon and Chrysler had no idea what to do. I continued to drive my car and in September of 2013 my car's check engine light came on and I took into the dealer dennis dillon and was advised that my cylander head was gone and would need repaired. I was told to go ahead and dive my car while the parts came in. My car was fixed and picked up from dealer then 1 day later my car overheated on interstate and broke down was then told a clamp came off and was then fixed. Since this issue my car has not driven the same. It is sluggish. I asked the dealer about the lemon law and was told to contact Chrysler. I did so and was told by Chrysler that there is nothing anyone can do. My brakes still sqeal very loudly and chrylser told me that its becasue they replaced the brake pads and no longer have asbestos' in them. I then advised them that I have driven other models and makes and did not have that problem. They refused to be of any assistance. My steering is also an issue in which the dealership has said that it needed an alignment but since the car was only a couple hundred miles on it. It has pulled severly to the left. This is not acceptable and this car needs to fall under the lemon law and be dealt with.

- Caldwell , ID, USA

Dec 242012

200 4-cyl

I bought this car use with 27,000 mile on it. I have only had the car for 45 days or so. My car is jumping forward when I come to a stop. At first the lurching was very faint now at 31,000 miles the lurching is more pronounced. I took the car to the dealership prior to the warranty ending and they acted like they where unaware of the issue/or didn't understand the issue. Any way I am beginning to feel unsafe since it is happening more. The car lurched forward during a sudden stop one time, not good.

- Clarksville, TN, USA