3.4

2012 Chrysler 200 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 200:

2012 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 112016

200

Vehicle stalled and would not start while driving (2 times )towed to dealer as (both times) tow driver could not restart. Dealer reported no computer codes and car started after car started on problem. There appears to be common safety hazard that has been experienced by many owners, that reportly Chrysler and NHTSA agreed upon a resolution to avoid a recall by Chrysler of this safety hazard in Sept 2012. Chrysler doesn't acknowledge and not sharing this information with dealers so they can take corrective action. Various attempts tried to resolve this hazardous condition have included replacing the powertrain module, camscope replacement, monitoring the on board with a copilot computer-which also showed no codes. The dealer did say that Chrysler suggested an additional module be added to the on board computer, but none of their customers returned a third or more times as previous attempts were unsuccessful and appeared to give up. This life threatening safety hazard needs to beinvestigated and resolved, as we were driving on a roadway and the motor just shut off., if this not resolved it will sometime cause injuries or deaths, which could end up with a recall something that Chrysler possible replacement of on computers.

- Bullhead City, AZ, USA

Sep 232016

200

Takata recall ----while driving, in motion, to pick up my daughter from school I start to hear a winding sound. My electrical system that powers the radio and uconnect system starts to shut down. My ABS light and ESC light comes on and im starting to smell a burning in the car, while this winding sound is getting louder, smoke is coming from the hood. The timing or transmission is disabled, the car shutsdown in the middle of the road, in front of the school exit. We could have been struck from behind or the side of the vehicle. Car smells like it caught fire.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Aug 172016

200

I bought my 2012 Chrysler 200 in 2013. I 've had a recurring problem with the engine running hot because some malfunction prevents the coolant from circulating through the engine. I have spent over $2000 trying to fix this problem and now my mechanic tells me the engine is no good and I'll need a new one. This happens when I'm driving. The car would run hot, I'd tow it in and my mechanic would fix it. And within a month or two, the problem would occur again. My mechanic ran diagnostics, he rebooted the computer systems and he gets the coolant flowing again but within weeks or a month the same problem reoccurs. I don't drive far to work approx. 10 miles daily commute. I may take a road trip on occasion but there is no unusual wear or tear on the vehicle. Im reporting this problem Aug 2016 but this has been a recurring issue over the years and the car is just for years old. I bought it used in 2013. I've spent so much money fixing the same problem and the car's problem always seems resolved until a few months down the road I have to fix it again. I haven't even paid the car off and its kaput and ready for the graveyard? this really is something Chrysler needs to step up to the plate and fix. I need a new engine now and I've already spent over $2000 trying to fix this issue.

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Jan 102016

200

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that the vehicle made an abnormal sound when the gear was shifted. The failure recurred, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 33,000.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Dec 262015

200

I own a 2012 Chrysler 200, the engine stops/fails about every two months while braking or while stopped. This is dangerous as it can stop anywhere and they might rear end the car or something. I have taken my car to the Chrysler dealership 4 different times with the same issue, the first time they changed the PCM. After about 2 months the car's engine stopped while braking or while at a stoplight. The 2nd and 3rd time I took the car they did not find anything wrong with the car and gave it to me after a couple of days. The 4th time when I took the car they said that it was the battery and they put in a new battery. Well about 2 days ago the car stopped again while at a stoplight. I have not taken the car to the dealership as they never find anything wrong with the vehicle. I am tired of them not finding what is wrong with the car. I believe that I speak for many Chrysler 200 owners when I say that an investigation needs to be done for the whole Chrysler group, especially to the 200, which have many complaints online and none one seems to find the solution. Please investigate this for the safety of the drivers. I am so sick and tired of the mopar mechanics not finding anything. I do not know if the issue is with the PCM, computer, or engine. Please investigate.

- Rogers, AR, USA

Nov 162015

200

Transmission rebuild and three torque convertors in 6 mo heater warm on left cool on right engine stalls on highway heat worked when taken to draler. They replaced sa clicking blend door actuator in the morning there was warm air on the left and cool air on the right' dealer says need a heater core and radiator. This happened overnight? recall onairbags. No airbag light on at dealer, they flashed the tipm as per recall, now airbag light is on code reads replace occupant controle module. They claim this not on the recall,11V315000

- Appleton, WI, USA

Jun 012015

200

My transmission is slipping and not performing the way it should. Sometimes my car shifts hard and sometimes it won't shift out until it reaches 5 or 6000 rpms which is almost in the red zone. When going up a hill or incline it hesitates and jerks. I called several dealerships only to be told that there were multiple cars ahead of mine that were just sitting there with the same problem. I was told that they were waiting on a call from corporate to fix the problem. To this day it has not happened. Also, my airbag light has been on for almost four months now. They said they did not have a fix for it yet. Just recently there is a knocking noise coming from the passenger side dashboard. An ongoing problem has been the noise from the front brakes when I am backing up. I was told there was no fix yet for that problem. As of this day, there still is no fix for it. I am still driving my car because I can't just leave it to sit at the dealership waiting on repairs. As you all know, they do not give out loaner vehicles any more at least not in Arkansas.

- Dumas, AR, USA

Jun 022015

200

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that the transmission failed to shift gear without warning. The contact mentioned that sometimes the shift lever would become stuck to the first gear and the vehicle failed to accelerate over 30 mph. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power control module and valve body were defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 13,500.

- Conway, SC, USA

Nov 112003

200 4-cyl

Transmission goes in to limp mode, does not go over 30 miles jerking speeding up and slowing down, won't start and check engine light comes on goes off.

- Reidsville, NC, USA

Oct 162014

200

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. While driving approximately 35 mph, the heater and the front passenger side defroster failed to function when activated. In addition, the transmission jerked while shifting from park into the reverse position on numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 56,000.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Feb 022015

200 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that when taking off from being idle, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to respond. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 4/29/15 the consumer also stated the vehicle stalled at stop signs. Updated 05/05/15

- Raymondville, MO, USA

Sep 092014

200

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. When the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to accelerate. In addition, the vehicle hesitated and stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted, but the failure recurred. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Aug 082014

200 4-cyl

While driving, attempted turn was made going approx. 10mph and the vehicle completely shut down without warning lights or anything. Once shut down I am able to restart but having this issue remain is frustrating. The vehicle has been taken to the dealership several times and each time no code is found and nothing is able to be done. Having this issue can cause serious damage and is extremely dangerous especially since I have children and I fear for our safety.

- Lake Havasu City , AZ, USA

May 162014

200 4-cyl

Brakes rotors bushings engine has whine and what sounds like a miss clicking noise on start up, clicking when turning ignition key withoht starting completely, and clicks when turning key off. Salesman says he called Chrysler and was told the 200 car is made to veer to the right to stop driver who might accidentally go to sleep from entering oncoming traffic. Dealership said call warranty. Had this 2012 car a with 46K that was a rental for a few days so far its engine is quite noisy. Calling warranty company to make appt to have car checked out.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Mar 052014

200

Shifted the vehicle into reverse, when the vehicle is then put into drive there is a loud bang.

- Kimball, MI, USA

Dec 172012

200 6-cyl

The first time I drove this car and snow I could barely keep it on the road. I have been driving in Michigan for 24 years and I have never had a car that handled this poorly in the snow. I took the car to my dealership and they told me it is a common problem but Chrysler does not have a solution for it. Since then the dealer has split a set of snow tires with me but it only partially helps the problem. The car is terrifying to drive in any snow conditions regardless of the snow tires. It moves from side to side in the snow and can barely be kept on the road. I have a 2 wheel dr. Truck with no wait in it and I'd prefer to drive that over the Chrysler in the winter.

- Posen, MI, USA

Nov 012013

200 4-cyl

Purchased vehicle on Nov.1st.2013. Noticed when turning off vehicle there is a loud clicking sound on front right of vehicle. Had it checked by a mechanic and was informed that there was a sensor malfunction near the timing cover. Went to dealership and was told that this was normal for this model and make of vehicle. Someone is wrong, either the mechanic or the dealership. Who?

- Newportnews, VA, USA

Aug 102013

200 4-cyl

Entering the on-ramp of a 65 mph highway, at the hov lane (so the left most lane), the car wouldn't accelerate and started to decline in speed. I was almost rear ended several times. I had to cut across 4 lanes of traffic to exit. I called the dealership and told them this had happened before, but at that time they couldn't recreate the code, and that they told me to bring it in if it happened again. I took the car in, they got the code, and stated my car thinks it's overheating, so it's shutting itself down. I told them that wasn't possible since I hadn't driven the car in 2 days and the distance from my house to the on-ramp was probably less than a mile. The guy then told me that if I started it up, and the problem seemed to be better I could take it since it was a Saturday and the only service techs they had could only perform oil changes. I drove it to my friend's house about 2 miles away and left it. Unfortunately I had to drive home, and to/from work today. I called the dealer from work, and scheduled to drop it off the next morning since that was their next availability. The guy said he'll have to keep it until the problem happens again. I stated that would be inconvenient since they don't do loaner cars, and the last time the problem happened was about 3K miles ago. Hopefully he can fix it based off of the code they pulled a few days ago. This stinks! the reason I bought a brand new car was for reliability.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 222013

200 4-cyl

Leaving my office, in traffic, the car would not accelerate. The max speed it would go to was only 40 mph, but the RPM's were high. By the time I got it to the dealership (about 20 minutes later), the problem had corrected itself. The dealership was unable to pull the code, so they told me to come back if it happened again.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 092013

200 6-cyl

It has been increasingly difficult to see at night when driving my Chrysler 200 2012 in low lit areas due to the headlight beams. Less light" aimed low" I have to drive far slower than posted around bends at night. I don't recall this issue when I bought the car brand new. I have had it one year and have just over 10,000 miles. I don't usually have to drive at night other than my well lit neighborhood, so this could have easily gone unnoticed. Either way, this terrifies me. The other issue I have is a jerk when shifting to reverse or drive. It is a loud clunk and I feel the vibration. I will not drive at night in low light areas until resolved. I also feel the car pulls to the right when driving. I will contact the dealer soon, until then I just don't feel safe driving while on dark roads.

- Lower Burrell , PA, USA