2012 Chrysler 200 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 200:

2012 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments

May 272015

200

Car has been acting funny but parked in a customer parking lot and when I tried to start car it stated severe problem and would not turn over. With my low miles I cant believe that a fuel pump could go.

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Apr 222015

200

Stopped at a red light, up until then car was driving fine, made a left turn and the 200 loss power and stalled out. The etc light and traction control light came on out the corner of my eye, next thing I know I was plowed into by another car. After doing more research, I have seen this problem come up time after time. The electronic throttle actually has plastic gears, plastic gears that control the opening of the throttle valve im sure those teeth will wear out on nearly every car and cause problems.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 242015

200

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that when the key was turned over, the lights flickered for the gauges and an abnormal noise emitted from the fuel pump and the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Belle, MO, USA

Jul 152013

200

4 cylinder 2.7L engine city gas mileage is only 13.5 mpg. My 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.6L V-6 gets 15 mpg. The 200 should be getting at least 18-20 mpg. My 2010 Toyota corolla gets 23 mpg with the same type of city driving. There are people complaining all over the web about the excessive fuel consumption problem. Chrysler should fix the problem and do a recall. Minimum they should install an eco mode button to bring the mpg up to the advertised mpg. The transmission shift points should be lowered so the engine does not rev to 3000 rpms on every shift. It is ridiculous that the V6 version gets better mpg. Imagine all the people that chose to go with the 4 cylinder to save on gas. Chrysler knows this problem and should have eliminated the 4 cylinder option altogether but chose to offer it so sales would not go down for not offering a 4 cylinder option. Chrysler should be penalized for this, not the consumer.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 132012

200 4-cyl

This car was bought for advertised miles per gallon (mpg) was 31mpg, but on the highway it is only getting about 15mpg. This car is either defective or Chrysler has embarked on major false advertising or fraud campaign in which millions of people bought this car thinking they would get 31mpg, but are paying twice as much in gas instead of saving money. If you think you are getting 31mpg on highway, but only get 15mpg, that means you run out of gas on the highway and an accident can occur either while the car is slowing down in the lane, or after it is pushed into shoulder, which is still dangerous. There are hundreds of reviews on the internet with same problem - not getting gas mileage. Please force Chrysler to take back these cars because it is either false advertising and consumer fraud for advertising 31mpg, or defective for failing to be efficient with gas mileage since they are not getting the performance these cars were supposedly manufactured & designed for. There are also unknown problems with transmission and engine. I'm taking car to dealership today to investigate/service, but I was told by the sales manager, they would not take the car back and give me a new car. It has all these problems, costing me money and possible injury due to the prospect of running out of gas so frequently! the gas tank size is 16.9 gallons, so at 31mpg, I should get close to 523 miles, but we only get about 250! we fill up gas tank every week, after only driving 36 miles roundtrip to/from work, mostly on highway. I believe we are being defrauded by being sold defective cars that do not perform as advertised, and which can cause injury as a result. I shouldnt be stuck with this car, paying excessive gas prices due to constantly refilling a gas tank, because this car burns up all the gas so fast! is it a defect or consumer fraud? I want this car recalled, and I want my money back!

- Upper Chichester, PA, USA

May 162011

200

This car was bought new with approx 300 miles brought from a dealer's inventory in kokomo, in to one in northern Kentucky, where it was bought 11 may,2012..it had been on the previous dealer's lot, as part of inventory, I believe since Sep,2011. In total it has stalled while stopped at a light 2 separate times..twice it has either quit while slowing or downshifted causing quite a violent throw forward of persons in their seats while at a relatively slow speed coming to a stop...in the old days it would be the jerk you get while popping a clutch to get a car started with a bad battery.. the third time it stalled was backing out of our driveway...we are now approaching 1000 total miles on the car with less than a month of ownership...made first visit to a dealer service 30 May 2012, ..PCM code was updated, but could not duplicate problem..have had one jerky downshift since then..this has been the recurring theme of many of these instances written up on blogs concerning this model over last 2 years.. side note..this car has remote start capability on the key fob..I noticed a recall last year for some vehicles where they noticed the circuit board inside a fob had vibrated loose, and somehow was sending signals to some component in the car which was causing it to stop...ie. No codes associated with a malfunction like that...might be something to look at too. Twice also, the hint of an electrical smell has been detected...same smell I experienced when the PCM on my 1993 Ford van cooked itself a couple years ago..at first I wrote it off as a new car thing..but combine that with present and past experiences...well, the connection may not be coincidental.

- West Chester, OH, USA