2005 Chrysler 300C drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler 300C:

2005 Chrysler 300C Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 012012

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler 300C. The contact stated that while down shifting, the vehicle would come out of gear and independently shift into neutral. The contact would have to coast to the side of the road and wait several minutes before the vehicle could be restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised him that air conditioner drain tube leaked water into the transmission, causing the failure. The mechanic advised him that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance to the contact. The failure mileage was approximately 95,000. The current mileage was approximately 105,000.

- Denison, TX, USA

Jul 062012

300C 8-cyl

Suddenly couldn't shift out of park. Called dealer and was told they could try to walk me through trying to get the trim around the gear shift apart to get to the pink plastic piece that is typically the problem and rig it so it could be moved or dealer said I could call tow truck and they typically know how to get it started. I got a ride home, looked on internet and saw many postings about this same problem. Went back to the car, followed the instructions on the internet to get to the pink plastic piece, used a screwdriver to maneuver the shifter cable to get out of park and drove it home. Then I discovered the K39 recall notice on internet. Called dealer next day, was told that my VIN isn't covered by K39 and they would have to look at it but would likely cost about $300. I contacted manufacturer and indicated I wanted repair at no cost if I took to dealer just like customers covered by recall. I was told that unless recall was expanded to include my VIN, I'd have to take to dealer to be diagnosed. Manufacturer made no guarantee about cost to be diagnosed/repaired or if it would be repaired free of charge following diagnosis. The K39 recall letter includes statement about improving ownership satisfaction and improvements in every vehicle they build. Apparently, satisfaction of owners like me whose vehicles have not been included in recall doesn't matter and they apparently aren't concerned about improving every vehicle because they missed mine. Repair to my vehicle has been completed thanks to internet where we found information that we followed. We saved towing charge & dealer repair cost estimated in excess of $300.

- Salem, SC, USA

Oct 012011

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler 300C. The contact stated that the gear shifter would not move from park. The dealer and the manufacturer were notified and advised that the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number: 05V460000 (power train:automatic transmission). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 120,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

Nov 302011

300C 8-cyl

Took car in because transmission was acting up. Water was in transmission without it ever being in a flood or high water. Had transmission fluid drained and replaced twice to remove water. 2000 miles later transmission went out completely. Called Chrysler about the problem but they were either unwilling or unable to tell me how water got in the transmission without it ever being in a flood or high water. Chrysler refused to take any responsibility for the design of the car without a dip stick to check transmission fluid. Nor are they willing to help with the replacement of the transmission. However all dealers acknowledge that Chrysler has had problems with the transmission in their 300C models. No more Chrysler products for me.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Jan 152012

2 different times this vehicle will not go out of park and strands me. I have seen many online complaints.also and crysler recalled chargers and Dodge but have not recalled the chryster 300's for the same problem. There is a cheap part that breaks and causes the gear lock up and the whole steering assembly has to be replaced per Chrysler at a high price. Should be recall as with chargers and Dodge products.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

May 052011

300C 8-cyl

I first had problems about 6 months ago when I could not get my car out of park. This happened periodically. I was also having a problem with the transmission. I took it into a transmission specialist. The two problems were unrelated. The transmission specialist said my shifter had to be replaced. I was out of town at the time, so I told them to replace it. Later, I happened on customer satisfaction notification K39 transmission shifter interlock lever issued by Chrysler. Chrysler could not provide me with the date of issue of this notification. The notification states it applies to "some 2005 through 2007 model year Dodge charger, magnum and Chrysler 300 equipped with a floor shifter." It refers to an "inability to move the gear shift lever out of the ┐┐park┐Ł position." It further states "if you have already experienced this condition and have paid to have it repaired, please send your original receipts...once we receive and verify the required documents, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days." I sent in the requested materials. I was informed Chrysler would not reimbursement me because my car was not part of the recall. I find this hard to accept. There was obviously a problem with shifter interlock levers, but for some reason Chrysler is only recalling some of the problems, not all of them.

- Lenexa, KS, USA

Sep 222011

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler 300C. The contact stated that the shifter would not shift out of park. The contact towed the vehicle to a dealer where the dealer advised that the shifter assembly unit needed to be replaced. The dealer replaced the shifter assembly unit. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign I.D. number: 05V460000 (power train:automatic transmission) and called the manufacturer. The manufacturer informed the contact the VIN was not included in the recall. The failure mileage was 81,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 162011

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler 300C. The contact stated that the vehicle would not shift out of park. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages were 44,385.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 122010

2005 Chrysler 300C. Park lock out mechanism gets stuck in park, stranding me in the middle of the desert in 114 degree weather.

- Gila Bend, AZ, USA

Mar 232008

2005 Chrysler 300C the gear shift has locked in parked twice.

- Lizella, GA, USA