9.3

$2,460.00

1. replaced with remanufactered transmission (4 reports)
  2. replaced with new transmission (2 reports)
1999 Dodge Caravan transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Caravan:

1999 Dodge Caravan Owner Comments

Apr 122008

Caravan 3.3L

My 99 Dodge Caravan transmission started making a ratcheting noise while driving during deceleration. The noise was especially noticeable if the shift lever was moved from Drive to Neutral while the van was moving more than 30 MPH. Although the transmission was still functional, I had the mechanic check it. When he removed the transmission oil pan, he found a dazzling collection of ferrous particles surrounding the oil pan magnet. I was told that the differential within the transmission was damaged and he recommended a complete rebuild ($1800-$2200 ouch!!) I chose to have a re manufactured transmission from the Dodge Dealer installed which came with a 3yr 100K warranty. Of course, I had just paid-off the van a few months earlier, and no warranty! Just so I don't ever have to drive a Dodge again, I wonder if I can find a good deal on a reliable YUGO.

- , Tooele, UT, USA

Jan 272008

Caravan V6

Very unexpected failure. I maintain the car and don't drive much. The van only has 68k. It doesn't seem right that the transmission should fail.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 092007

Caravan V6

I have a 1999 dodge caravan which we hardly use. Recently it cost me a fortune to replace the transmission. After thorough investigation i found out that every dodge has a transmission problem. I would suggest anyone buying a dodge beware. The quality sucks, better to go with Japanese cars which are more reliable and smooth. I don't understand how chrysler can ignore such a big quality problem. The pin that holds the shaft broke and broke the casing holding it. The only way they can fix is to replace the whole transmission. I don't rely on this vehicle anymore. Please don't buy a dodge.

- , Minneapolis, MN, USA

Nov 152003

Caravan

I find it hard to believe that a major transmission failure occured on a 4 year old vehicle - buyer beware! So far Daimler Chrysler has refused to pay for any of my repair bill. This is our third and last Chrysler van. In my opinion Daimler Chrysler has had to recently increase its warranty to 7 years/115,000km to compensate for quality problems.

- , Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Sep 052003

Caravan

Total transmission failure - the inside of the transmission looked like a "Chia" Pet but with metal hair.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 012003

Caravan

My Dodge Caravan started by making a ticking sound. I then got in to drive it one day and the speedometer wasn't working and it sounded awful. We had to have a remanufactured transmission put in at a cost of $2400.00. The transmission place thinks it has other unrelated problems. We have heard from so many people that had Caravans about the transmissions going. Don't buy a Dodge or Plymouth. They are not reliable and will cost you a fortune!!!

- , Sterling, VA, USA