7.0

2. remove and replace the 20 amp fuse as described (23 reports)
  3. see your chrysler service center for software update (8 reports)
  4. unhook the negative battery cable for a few minutes (8 reports)
  5. disconnect the battery or fuse (4 reports)
  6. try pulling fuse and cleaning terminals (4 reports)
2005 Dodge Caravan accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Caravan:

2005 Dodge Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jan 162012

Caravan

I would like to have the wiring fixed so the doors will lock without manually locking them. The auto. doors opening quit a long time ago, I was told the wiring is messed up in the steeing column and it would be about $300 to fix. This is dangerous since people cannot tell when you are turning.

- , Butler, Indiana, USA

Sep 202013

Caravan

Bought my 05 Caravan a year ago with only 28,000 on the clock, this is my 3rd Caravan and the first problem I have had with the 05. From what I could find on the net this is a common problem that Dodge charges to fix. My only complaint is that it should be a recall and Dodge should reflash the darn computer at no charge.

- , Catoosa, OK, USA

Jul 152013

Caravan LX V6

took it to the dealer he said it was a computer that needed to be re set???

wife tried to pick it up doors would not work it sat there for about 12 hrs, after he reset the computer again, took it home next day tried to open the doors--not working again

back to the dealer he needs to further investigate found two corroded wires on the module he replaced and rewired door locks worked two days later the door locks would not work again, also this time---- it wore down the battery and the radio does not work now???????

van is barely 9 years old what a croaker!!!!!!!

bought a brand new (20130 journey for longevity???? is it going only last 9 years????

did I spend my hard work earnings to a good cause???

- , Mount Forest, ONT, canada

Oct 172011

Caravan SXT 3.8L V6

SAFETY ISSUE

Doors do not lock when going 15 miles per hour. When you get out of car and lock the doors you get the beep that the doors lock. Come back to the vehicle and find that the doors did not lock. Passenger side does not have an outside key lock so when the power locks stop working the door must be locked and unlocked from inside by reaching across the car. I am a widow and when I driving by myself I expect the doors to lock. This is a safety issue for me. I should not have to pay to get this fixed. When it first started I pulled the fuse and it fixed the problem for about 6 months. In the last week I have had to reset the lock system about 5 times. WHAT A PAIN. Please Please call the more people who call Dodge 1-800-247-9753 and report it and also go to safercar.gov and report this problem it will become a safety recall, but they need to see the same complaint from other people. Thanks Helene

- , Cape Coral, FL, USA

Sep 142011

Caravan SE 2.4L

Replaced rack and pinion, cruise control not working, engine running rough, engine light on-replaced crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor....

- , Hallandale, Florida, USA

Jun 062011

Caravan 3.3L

Removing the IOD fuse on the front left of fuse box for 10 seconds will restore the lock function. The repetition of fails was greatly reduced by the operator holding the switch until the locks lock/unlock, then release the switch. Since I started this, my fails have been reduced to less than one time per year.

- , Osseo, MI, USA

May 182011

Caravan

My power door locks stopped working last year just before we went away to Wildwood for the weekend where we were in and out of the car tons of times. The trunk would still lock and unlock with the key and with the button in the car, but nothing else. We tried pulling the fuse and replacing, and that worked for anywhere from 24 hours to 1 week. I also have a problem with the battery continually draining, I am on my third battery in 7 years. When the battery was replaced, they worked again for about a week, then nothing again. I finally took it in, not caring what it cost to fix since the door locks are getting harder and harder to manually unlock and my kids can't do it, and I can't reach the rear p/s door lock. It's also inconvenient since I can't unlock the car from anywhere except the driver side (I'd like to think my complaint wouldn't be as bad because I shouldn't be so lazy as to have to manually unlock the doors like in the olden days) but since I can't open the p/s door, it's very inconvenient. They fixed them last Friday, and exactly 1 week later, they stopped working again. My mechanic said he needed more time (he had my car for 3 days). None of this makes any sense, and after reading just how many people have had these problems, I am appalled that Dodge hasn't done anything about it. I will be filing a complaint with the NHTSA. Aside from this major inconvenience, my p/s window stops working, my light covers have fallen off, my floor covers have fallen off, my p/s front floor leaks from who knows what, my head rests on two of the seats pieces have fallen off, and some other minor inconveniences. I Love my van, in the space it has, the fact that the seats stow completely away, and until recent problems with the radiator, alternator and battery, haven't had any other mechanical problems. But since last year, I have put a boatload of money into this car.

- , Atco, NJ, USA

May 222012

Caravan SXT

As I have been reading on your site, I am with a fairly large group of other schmucks who has been screwed by our friendly DODGE company, AGAIN.... They, at this point, should get out of the vehicle manufacturing business and do something more suitable to their talent, like possibly growing LEMON trees!....but they would eventually be recalled as well! This is my wife's van, and if it were not for the fact of being stuck in the financial rut we are in, and cannot afford to trade it in or scrap it, I would probably run it through the showroom window of the first dodge dealership I could find, if in fact it would make it there. Not only is this annoying, but it is also a "Safety Issue" as well. We have had nothing but problems with this junk from the beginning. But being like most consumers, and trusting in the "SYSTEM", we have taken another shot in the arm. The power lock problem is just another, one of many, problems, from parts, inside and out, falling off or coming loose, to gas vapor problems. I am totally in agreement with all the others, in that dodge should be held accountable for the defects of which they created. I have been very fortunate to be able to mend, fix, repair, or replace any of the problems we have had with this clunker, but I am tired of picking up there slack. I am also going to be contacting the NHTSA, and filing a complaint with them. Maybe if enough of us did, it would stir up the conscience of the lemon manufactures.

- , Topeka, KS, USA

Nov 142011

Caravan SXT 3.6L

Door locks have just stopped working. It's a safety concern. Car has been very well cared for, no reason in the world for this to happen at 69,000 miles. Looking for repair advice, not sure Chrysler knows how to fix it either.

- , Winchester, MA, USA

Jan 162012

Caravan

After replacing the battery, I knew there had to be another cause. Checked CarComplaints.com - I should've done this the first time around - and read about the fuse fix. Worked like a charm! Thanks

- , Indio, CA, USA

Dec 262011

Caravan

Door locks stopped working over Christmas holiday. Bad timing. Mechanic said battery wasn't throwing 12V. Think he may have known the fuse trick and just wanted to sell me a battery.

- , Indio, CA, USA

Oct 302011

Caravan SXT 3.3L

I was booked to take the van for diagnosis in two days ($120.00) but found the fuse out then in solution and it WORKED!

Thanks everyone. I've cancelled the appointment.

- , London, Ontario, canada

May 032011

Caravan V6

I'm glad to see others share same problem in AutoBeef

- , Centreville, VA, USA

May 052011

Caravan SXT 3.2L

second problem in one month.....not sure if i would buy another dodge

- , Lynden, WA, USA

May 042011

Caravan STX 3.8L

Took to dealer, serviceman hooked up to computer and reprogrammed.

Drove over 100 mi. when I arrived home got out of van pressed the lock lever, doors locked proceeded toward house getting my house key out to open the door when the lights flashed and the driver side back door opened. I closed the door and pressed the

lock lever and nothing happened, had to manually lock the doors.

- , Bradford, Illinois, USA

Jan 012010

Caravan V6

This seems to be a reoccurring problem with this particular year of the caravan. I have spoken to my Dodge dealer and they basically say that since there has not been a recall, (for this specific car), and it is out of warranty that I am out of luck.Of course they will fix it for several hundred dollars although it is an electrical problem that should cause this year vehicle to be recalled.

This year vehicle has numerous electrical problems that I am speaking directly with Chrysler/Dodge about hoping they will fix this problem and possibly put a recall for this vehicle. Speaking to Chrysler I did find out that the next year of this vehicle they changed the sensor telling me that they realized there's a problem.

I'll update as possible.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 102011

Caravan V6

Just like everyone else, at about 60 000 miles, the door locks stopped working one day. With two little ones, 3 and 5, in car seats in the rear, this is a really annoying inconvenience and sometimes dangerous. I can't afford to get it fixed and it's making me crazy. I'm going to the battery trick and the fuse thing and see what happens. Honestly, I have started to hate this car.

- , Guelph, ON, canada

Mar 172010

Caravan

We have had to lock are doors by hand for about a year!!!! I'M sick of it!!The locks just stopped working one day can't find out what happened!!with three kids it would be nice to be able to push one button down and be done !!! but now have to run around and push all them down!OK the lock button do'es lock the tailgate WHAT A BIG HELP!!

- , Goshen, TRIED_TRAINING, USA

Oct 132010

Caravan SXT 3.3L, V6 (R)

The electric door locks stopped working. The key's on/off switch make the sound and you think your door is locked as usual. Then eventually you figure out, if you're lucky, BEFORE anything important is easily stolen from the vehicle, that the doors ARE NOT LOCKING! The back hatch does, but that's it. Very annoying, because the only door with a keyhole for manually unlocking or locking is the driver's door. You must climb across and back for all others!!

We are all paying for this with our time and hassle and possible theft; why should we pay financially to have it corrected?

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 022011

Caravan 3.3L

Same problem with door locks. Pulled fuse and worked for 3 days. Would love to have the computer reprogrammed but the van lives in the Bahamas. No dealer here. Imagine the expense of shipping the van to Ft Lauderdale just for the "fix"! Any suggestions?

- , Freeport, Grand Bahama, Bahamas