2.5

2006 Dodge Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Caravan:

2006 Dodge Caravan Owner Comments

Dec 012015

Caravan

Currently have about 86,000 on the vehicle. The headlights, more and more, are deciding to refuse to turn on. There is no darkness indicator, just an old-fashioned turn knob with three settings (off, parking lights, headlights). Also, the headlights when working, decide to not switch off when the knob is turned to off. This is intermittent and, so far, mechanics have been unable to diagnose the problem. I see from other sites that many, many people are having these problems with these minivans and eventually, if not already, somebody is going to die when these lights cut off unexpectedly.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Aug 212015

Caravan

Driving on the interstate when dash board lights started to flicker on and off, the engine stalled for a few second, but did not lose power. What going on, why is this happening.

- High, Point, NC, USA

Oct 072013

Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Caravan. The contact stated that the headlights illuminated independently when the engine was off. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000. Updated 1/7/15 the consumer stated the lights shut off, while driving at night. Updated 01/15/15/

- Campbell , CA, USA

Oct 082014

Caravan 6-cyl

I began having trouble with my right front window not rolling down. Then head lights began to flash on and off. I disconnected the battery first negative then positive removed ECM and cleaned all pins on ECM and the socket it plugs into using electronic parts cleaner. I waited for the socket and pins to dry before replacing the ECM and reconnecting the power. Problem resolved itself for a while. Now all problems came back and the battery light came on. Replaced the battery and alternator. The problem went away for a week now all problems came back and vehicle is unable to be driven. I believe there is a problem with the ECM's made for this vehicle. There are many reports of people having the same issues and no recalls. I believe that the ECM is causing many problems since all 3 issues are controlled by the ECM unit.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 012014

Caravan 6-cyl

2006 Dodge Caravan SXT 3.3L, 98000 miles driving at night, headlight going off I need to turn off and on headlight switch light go on and off, after 10 minutes all outside light are off, weary scary, it happening almost every day I mean night, , I look what is the problem, maybe headlight switch I going tomorrow and buy and see if is ok, , I own this van since 2010 with no light problem"?"

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Jul 022014

Caravan 6-cyl

Driving in the early morning, road conditions were wet, slight drizzle, misty, very humid. Radio began flickering along with air conditioner and winshield wipers. After a few minutes, front dashboard went dark. The following systems stopped functioning: Fan (including air conditioner) windshield wipers radio 12V outlet forced to pull over into a hotel for the remainder of the morning until sensor/fuse box was able to dry out. Once dry, all systems operated normally. Please note the air bad sensor was on at the same time as per NHTSA# 10V00800.

- Metuchen, NJ, USA

Sep 172009

Caravan

Most times, when I try to turn on my headlamps at night they do not turn on when I turn the switch. It usually takes me anywhere from 10 to 20 turns to get the headlamps to turn on and sometimes they will come on only for a few seconds and then turn back off. Often, while I am in motion at night, the headlights will simply turn off for no apparent reason but I have noticed that it seems to happen more when the alternator or fans start or when I am at a low RPM and then I have to pull over and try to get the lights back on. I have also noticed that when the vehicle is parked and all switches are off, the lights will turn on and off randomly. I have tried to locate a fuse and/or relay several times but do not know where to find those... they are not in the fuse relay center under the hood. This problem only effects the headlamps, the tail lights, front marker lights, brake lights, and turn signals all work fine I have also found numerous posts on different websites complaining about the same exact problem.

- Meridian, ID, USA

Dec 012010

Caravan

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Caravan. The contact stated that whenever it rained and the contact made an attempt to turn the steering wheel, the vehicle would resist and it became stuck on the highway. The warning lights also illuminated on the instrument panel. A local mechanic was unable to diagnose the failure. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer were notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 69,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Quincy, MA, USA

Oct 312011

Caravan 6-cyl

Driving at night and headlights just randomly turn off!!! have to keep flicking high beams on to get them to stay on. Not safe when you can't see to pull off side of road.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Sep 262011

Caravan

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Caravan. The contact stated that the dashboard and instrument panel lights would flicker continuously. There was an abnormal popping coming from the dashboard area and in addition, the brake and ABS warning lights were illuminated. The dealer inspected the vehicle and diagnosed that there was a voltage defect. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 85,990 and the current mileage was 86,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Gaston, NC, USA

Dec 302010

Caravan 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Dodge Caravan and about a month ago I noticed a problem when I use my turn signals. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes not at all, and sometimes the opposite blinker will turn on (ex: I use the right blinker but the left blinker come on and vise versa). This has been happening pretty much everyday since it first started. A couple of days ago when I started the car I noticed the airbag light stayed on and the passenger airbag off light on the dash stayed lit. This was very concerning because I don't know if that means the airbag is malfunctioning and won't work in an accident. I decided to do some online searching for these type of problems concerning the Dodge Caravan and realized that hundreds and hundreds of people were experiencing the same exact problems I am having. This is a huge safety concern because this is primarily my wife's car in which we carry our 3 children. From what I hear from other people experiencing the same issues is that this is related to a wind shield wiper problem as well. This has not yet happened to my car but I am sure it will probably start soon. If so many people are having the same problems I don't understand why there has not been a recall on this problem.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Jun 012010

Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Caravan. The contact attempted to start the vehicle but to no avail. After several attempts, she was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred six time. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician advised that the battery would need to be replaced. The battery was replaced yet the failure persisted. The technician stated that the computer would need to be replaced also. The part was ordered for the vehicle to be repaired but had not yet arrived. The approximate failure mileage was 33,000. Updated 02/17/11 the dealer replaced the PCM

- Plano, TX, USA

Sep 262006

Caravan

We own a 2006 Dodge Caravan, the turn indicator does not work correctly, it flashes on the wrong side, if you click it to turn left the lights work for the right side, some time it will not work at all.

- South Otselic, NY, USA

Jul 212010

Caravan

I have a 2006 Dodge Caravan slx about a month after I bought it the sliding door on the drivers side stopped working I took it in and they fixed it right away. In June 2010 my van door the same one that was broke from before came open when I was driving then it happened again a few days later. I reported this to Dodge and Chrysler Corp. And they are refusing to fix this problem because no one else has had this problem with there van and reported it. I am worried that one of my four children are going to fall out the door and get hurt or even killed because of this problem I would like to see Dodge fix my van because it isn't my fault the door is broke and it is a safety problem.

- Caldwell , ID, USA

Dec 252009

Caravan

I have a 2006 Dodge Caravan; it too shut down on me while going down the hwy at 70mph and all three of my children were in the van. Thank the lord that no one was hurt. This was the first time that my van had ever done this but was not the last; this van had shut down on me a couple more times. I took the van to a local shop, but never found out anything. I was told that it could be the heat of the South Texas weather, but I thought cars were made to withstand all weather. Then it started having electrical issues; like the light would go on and off in the middle of the night, really at any time with no keys in it, the wipers would come on when I didn't need them to or would not come on in the rain were I needed it the most, the dome light would come on while driving home at night, or while taking my kids to school the dome light would come on and not go off. I no longer can drive the van, because it started fire christmas morning while my husband was driving, we were getting ready to go out of town. I have looked on line and it seems that this has happened to others were the van shuts down while driving or the driver smelt or seen smoke coming from under the dash near the fuse box. There was one that the guy called triple a after his car shut down on the interstate and started smoking under the dash. There is about 3-4 dz listing were their van had what they called kindred spirits light, radio, door locks you name it going on & off. A 2006 Caravan like mine in fort lewis, wa totally shut down while driving & rear ended another car. There is a website that has steps to trouble shoot the electrical system in a Dodge Caravan, three are check your ground connection & two of those is if you loose power while driving.

- Lavernia, TX, USA

Sep 052007

Caravan 6-cyl

I got a 2006 Dodge Caravan and after 3 months of having the car and only having 3,000 miles on it, the car has stopped 5 times and lost it's power going up hills. The dealer just said bring it back if it happens again.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Mar 012007

Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Caravan. The dealer stated that the vehicle had electrical system failures. The dealer replaced the body module and rewired the console. After the repair was made there were components that failed. The current mileage was 35,000. The failure mileage was 28,000.

- Edwardsville, IL, USA

Apr 222007

Caravan 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Caravan. The contact stated that when making a complete stop from 45 mph the vehicle shut off and restarted seconds later. Chrysler stated that they could not do anything because the contact should notify the dealer. The current and failure mileages were 28,000.

- Valley Park, MO, USA

Jun 282006

Caravan 4-cyl

: the contact stated while driving 65 mph, the turn signal light illuminated incorrectly when turning left, and vice versa. The signals also did not function at full brightness. The headlights dimmed and then increased back to regular illumination. The manufacturer was contacted who determined the problem was an isolated incident. The dealer was also notified. Updated 10/25/2006 - the turn signals remained dimly lit although the headlight were turned off.

- Chugiak, AK, USA