2011 Dodge Challenger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Challenger:

2011 Dodge Challenger Owner Comments

Jul 012015

While driving my car it would lose power. I could not accelerate. I can not always restart it right away. It got to the point I was unable to restart it and it had to be towed

- Dolton, IL, USA

Jun 162015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Challenger. While driving 40 mph and attempting to roll down the window, it rolled down slower than normal. Several moments later, the lighting on the instrument panel dimmed and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician stated that the alternator failed. The contact was made aware that the vehicle was not covered under NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system) since the vehicle was equipped with a 5.7L engine. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 21,400.

- Valley, AL, USA

Jun 162015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Challenger. While driving approximately 5-10 mph, the contact noticed a burning odor and the ABS and oil warning lights illuminated. The vehicle stalled and was not able to restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 21,400.

- Valley, AL, USA

Jul 032014

Challenger 6-cyl

Driving at approximately 60mph, the ABS and traction lights came on at first. Attempting to get home with the vehicle when all the sudden everything started shutting down; first the radio then the different systems all the lights in the dash began to blink and then went out. The vehicle then completely died; when I noticed the issues I switched the transmission into neutral so I could get to the side of the road. I then had to have the vehicle towed to the nearest dealership. The dealer ship then took 5 days to repair said vehicle as the alternator needed was on "backorder". due to the fact it is "a 3 hour repair" per the warranty a rental car was not covered and I was without a vehicle for 5 days. And though the vehicle had less than 50,000 miles on it, it was not covered by the manufacturer warranty; thank god I purchased the extended warranty.

- Eden, ID, USA

Dec 302014

Challenger 6-cyl

I nearly was killed today getting off highway I-10 when my entire car shut down. The entire electrical system failed ABS, esp, bas, traction lighting all came on - power steering did not work- completely shut down with no recourse finally coasted to park in the garage close by on a downhill exit. I was fortunate enough to find an exit to the parking lot and literally coasted in without power steering or any electrical and was afraid the brakes would not work to even stop the car. Fortunately, it coasted and stopped. Previously received an alternator recall notice from Dodge, but was told they did not have any parts available to fix this vehicle. I had no idea that meant my entire car would die on the highway without the ability to even steer.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 182014

Challenger 6-cyl

I own a 2011 Dodge Challenger that was purchased brand new off the show room floor in the latter part of 2011. I was leaving work on this Sunday and pulled out of the parking lot to merge into traffic. Within five or ten minutes of having pulled off my car began a complete shut down. The windows wouldn't go up or down. The power steering went out. The radio and lights all went black. Also the car cut off completely while I was driving!!!! I nearly caused a major accident in the middle of a busy intersection. Luckily the surrounding drivers were paying attention and did not hit me. Im mortified with this experience. My car is only three years old and I'm currently paying a nearly $600 note on it. It's so unacceptable and to make matters worse, when I contacted Dodge, the only recourse they advised was to contact the dealer and have the repairs done and apply for reimbursement whenever the recall is announced. When I asked if they would be willing to have a dealer come pick up the car as it is currently inoperable, they said that the towing fees would be my responsibility as well & probably would not be reimbursed. The customer service reps both times I called were of little or no help at all and seemed genuinely unconcerned that my vehicle cut off while I was driving!!! my call to the dealership was the same. I have had all maintenance for my vehicle performed at the Dodge dealership from oil changes to tire replacement. I've been a loyal customer & even done referrals for the dealership. This is by far the worst experience I've had with any car company and I am so disappointed. I will never purchase anything else from the Chrysler brand. I noticed the recall even includes the cars they are currently selling on the lots (2014 models) so please beware and warn anyone you know to stay away from Chrysler & its products. They don't care about you or your safety.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Sep 302014

2011 Dodge Challenger - I was driving and then all these diffrent lights started to flah ABS, esp, and brake assist. Then the emergency brake and seat belt lights started flashing. My locked up I wasnt even abale to turn the wheel!! then the car just shut done, I had the car towed to my house.(more money spent) this was two days ago, the same thing happend 03/2013 I had the alternator fixed $800 this should not go out after 1 year in a 2011! this has to be a deffect! I will never purchase another Dodge! I should not have to repay to get this alternator fixed again this will be the 3rd alternator in 3 years.. very unhappy with Dodge> so then I towed my care 25miles to the dealer ship( $160) to advised me its my alternator and my warranty expired 03/2014 very upset at this point and $200 to tell what I already new!!! I called Dodge customer service was not offer any assistant's with paying for this I was advised to wait for a recall! what the hell very poor customer service!! I will now write to there corporate office at Chrysler group customer care po. Box 21-8004 auburn Michigan 48321-8004! this type of business practice is unacceptable.

- Sacramento , CA, USA

Jul 192014

Challenger 6-cyl

I was driving my car on 7/19/2014 as normal and I noticed several drivers from other cars pointing at my hood. There were no dash indicator lights on. I pulled over and the car powered down and smoke started billowing through the vents and from under the hood. I released the hood and noticed the alternator smoking heavily and melting, I thought it was about to catch fire. I had the car towed to the dealership and was told 4 days later the alternator had to be replaced, not covered under warranty; due to it being considered an accessory; would cost $723 to repair. Being that the car only has 44,000 miles on it, I was very disturbed. My car was ready in about 4 days which I went ahead and paid for repairs as I need the car for transportation and even after I saw the countless reports of similar incidents on the internet and was appalled this part had not been recalled. I figured most cars have to have at least one major repair so I'm good for awhile. Wrong! the same week the car got out of the shop, I started hearing a clicking under the gear shift and the ABS, esp and traction came on the dash. I contacted the dealership to make an appointment to bring it in but it isn't until a week later. I was told as long as the light doesn't steadily remain on, I should be fine until my appointment driving it. Today I was riding along on a highway and the car begin to lose power not allowing me to accelerate or steer, now the malfunction light is on. Dodge really needs to consider recalling this model as problems start to occur at 40,000 miles from what I have read and can cause serious safety issues because it stalls with the indicator lights following leaving consumers with the inability to steer or get out of the dangers of incoming traffic.

- Hattiesburg, MS, USA

Jul 152014

Alternator started whining and got extremely hot and started smoking and failed while driving.

- Brea, CA, USA

Aug 082014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Challenger. The contact stated that the ABS and traction control warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle stalled and smoke appeared from underneath the hood. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 46,000.

- Antoich, TN, USA

May 292014

My fiance and I were leaving a store when all the lights in the car started flashing and the engine started making a weird humming sound and then the car died and would not start again! I had to pay a tow truck to come out and pick it up and take it in to the Dodge dealership. Was without my car for almost a month because I had to slowly pay the dealership $600 that I did not have. Then the dealership didn't even mention the battery was probably gonna die so a week later after I finally got my car back, I go out and it won't start again! so then I had to spend almost another $200 on a brand new battery. I am just completely offended that this a huge and massively common problem and Dodge hasn't even tried to fix it! I love my Challenger but I was so exasperated with all the bs that I was ready to take it back to where I bought it a year ago and give it back. Dodge needs to fix this problem and compensate all of us who have had to deal with this mess! luckily for them therehaven't been any fatalities connected with this problem!

- Moore, OK, USA