1998 Dodge Dakota seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Dodge Dakota:

1998 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments

Jan 262009

Dakota

Me and a friend were in a car accident.when we lost control of my 1998 Dodge Dakota and hit the side of a building at 40-45 mph when we hit the air bags did not deploy and the seat belts did not lock up like they were supposed to in result we bounced or faces and heads off of the steering wheel and dash board and now having head neck and back problems.

- Florence, OR, USA

May 142002

Dakota 6-cyl

Seat belt malfunctions

- Kearneysville, WV, USA

Jan 202004

Dakota 4WD 8-cyl

I bought my 1998 Dodge Dakota with the confidence of knowing that I had selected a safe, comfortable, reliable car. However, that perception was gone this morning when I found the website called www.unsafebelts.com. I am appalled (yet not surprised, quite honestly) to learn that Chrysler is knowingly allowing many people to drive their cars with seatbelts that are not adequate or reliable. I am more shocked that NHTSA and other groups like it are not lobbying for safer belts. As the other owner of my car drives the vehicle at least 20 hours per week, I am shocked and saddened by this inaction. I would like to call for a recall of these belts. I will be contacting the dealership where I purchased my car today and requesting replacements for my seat belts. I will also be asking Chrysler to cover the cost of this replacement.

- North Garden, VA, USA

May 091999

Dakota

The bolt that had been securing the shoulder anchor of the seat belt to the frame worked its way loose allowing the anchor to disengage from the frame. Manufacturer will be contacted.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Jan 131998

Dakota

Consumer was nearly involved in a collision in which the passenger's seat belt did not retract.

- Mobile, AL, USA