2001 Dodge Dakota fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Dakota:

2001 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments

Nov 152002

Dakota 8-cyl

There are no injuries that I know of yet but I believe there could be. I'm a mechanical designer for an engineering firm and an avid car enthusiast. The problem is in Dodge magnum engine 5.9L fuel rails IżżM not sure what all years/models/engines this type of rail is used in but mine is a 2001 Dakota 5.9L I believe itż's the same for Dodge Ram and Dodge durango. The problem is on the fuel rail there is a test port where a mechanic can test fuel pressure if there is a fuel problem. Where the port is attached to the rail (by brazing I think) seems to leak fuel. It is a slow leak and you can only tell if the engine has some miles on it you can notice where a wet ring has formed. I noticed this on my vehicle and I thought it was something I did during maintenance feeling it was my fault I did not want to use my warranty. I then called around to get a used one because I didnżżT have the $400 to slap down for a new one. Upon receiving my used fuel rail in the mail I noticed it had evidence of leakage in the same area. I returned the used fuel rail. Next I looked under the hood of my mothers Dodge Ram w/ the same fuel rail and to my surprise there is evidence of fuel seepage on it also. Iżżve have noticed this on 3 separate fuel rails and I have only looked at 3 so IżżM 100% so far. I temporary fixed my own rail by removing the rails and welding around the fitting. My permeate fix is going to be aftermarket holley fuel rails. IżżM not sure if this leakage could cause a fire but I also donżżT think it would be a bad thing to check in to.

- Tyrone, PA, USA