2001 Dodge Dakota steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Dakota:

2001 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments

Feb 222010

Dakota 8-cyl

Steering intermediate shaft has alot of play gets worse on higher speeds found to be the universal joint on the shaft should be a recall very dangerous can cause lose of control.

- Middletown, RI, USA

Feb 152010

Dakota

The steering in my 2001 Dakota quad-cab has become very stiff to turn. It comes and goes, but concerns me since my wife sometimes drives my truck and I'm not sure if she could turn the wheel if she needed to in an emergency situation. I've done some research and found that the intermediate shaft is the culprit. This is a safety hazard and should be recalled.

- Barnhart, MO, USA

Jul 152009

Dakota

Lower steering column shaft has a bushing that failed causing loss of steering. Truck veered into a ditch at 30mph. I called dealership to purchase this part and found out that it is on a backorder of over 100. Went to several auto recyclers and used parts stores and found that even they have the part backordered. This shows a huge safety issue if there are several backorders and the parts is a required to safely operate the vehicle. I am surprised that there are no active recalls on this item.

- Greene, NY, USA

Mar 012009

Dakota

Intermediate shaft on the steering column nearest the steering box has universal joint that failed. Caused intermittent stickiness in steering, before joint completely failed.

- Gainesville, TX, USA

Dec 132001

Dakota 8-cyl

I would like to know why the 4X2 Dakota's are not covered by the recall. My 2001 rt has always made a poping sound when making sharp turns and is starting to "wander" and pull to the left. This truck has been very hard on tires. Last time in, dealer said everything was fine. Of course that was just before the warranty expired. All Dakotas should be covered by this recall, not just the 4X4 models.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jul 122003

Dakota 6-cyl

Poping noise from steering and cab during turns. Had dealer look at and nothing found wrong.

- Gulfport, MS, USA