2001 Dodge Dakota wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Dakota:

2001 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments

Dec 022004

Dakota 6-cyl

The sidewalls on the front tires split on the outside and inside. I found the defect myself. Replaced the tires. I still have the old ones. The truck had only a little over 12K miles on it. The dealer blew me off.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jul 052003

Tires, gooyear Wrangler. Coming apart on the sidewall about 1/2 inch from the rim. First set were replaced and the problem persists with these new ones as well. Am I to expect a blow out to get some attention to this potentially dangerous situation.

- Catonsville, MD, USA

Sep 122003

Dakota 6-cyl

Significant sidewall cracks noticed above the rim on three tires (fourth tire new after replacement from blowout two months ago). Wrangler St 215/75R/15. Tires have 30K miles and two years old. Goodyear store manager in college station tx said there is no safety issue with our removing tire from rim and inspecting inside of sidewall. Refused to consider problem as manufacturing defect. Did offer pro-rated replacement as warranty issue. Z8jb

- Galveston, TX, USA

Dec 032002

Dakota 4WD 8-cyl

My balljoints snapped while turning in my sons school one morning, resulting in my front wheel and brake assembly falling off completely from my 2001 Dodge Dakota 4X4 truck in December 2002. I had 1000 miles passed factory warrenty

- Modesto, CA, USA

May 152003

At 8,000 miles one of the tires went flat. The vehicle was taken to the tire dealer which found all four tires (Goodyear Wrangler St P215/75R15) had cracks in the tire wall. The tires were replaced with the same brand of tire. Now the driver front and rear tires have cracks in the tire wall. The consumer filed a complaint with Dodge #11259201.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Mar 152003

Dakota 6-cyl

Dear sirs, I have attaches a copy of the note I sent to Goodyear rubber company in regards to the tires on my vehicle. It sounds suspiciously like a problem that Firestone had and may result in accidents. I thought I would let you know as well for your database. I have 3 out of 4 Goodyear wilderness tracker tires that are factory tires on my Dodge Dakota that have 2-4 inch splits on the sidewall next to the bead. Some are on the outside but some are on the inside sidewall. The Goodyear dealer offered me 40 $ off a 120$ replacement tire. The tires have 27,000 miles on them. Not only is that unacceptable for an obviously defective tire but I did not want more of the same tire. I discovered this problem as I had 2 rear tires going flat with no foreign objects in the tread. The Goodyear rep stated that he had seen this problem before so it is obviously a manufacturing defect and is unsafe. While I doubt Goodyear will offer me any reimbursement I thought you should be aware of the problem and I will be contacting Dodge and the NHTSA with my concerns as well. It would be quite disastrous if the tire separated from the bead while at interstate speeds. Tim fultz....

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Nov 172002

Sidewalls have split on all four tires which came new with the truck, two were so bad you could see the inner sidewall. The garage failed the truck on inspection, said the tires were a safety hazard. I did not misuse these tires no 4-wheeling, no heavy loads, no constant long distance travel; work was 10 miles one way. My mother spent a great deal of time on the phone with Goodyear and sullivan tire (the name Goodyear gave us as their authorized dealer). There was no satisfaction because Goodyear and sullivan insisted they could only pro-rate the tread on a replacement. The tread was not the problem!!! all four tires should have been replaced free of charge because they were a safety hazard. My mother paid $431.71 for four new tires, which is less than $100 under the price sullivan would have charged for four new tires. The tires should have been free of charge! I see from the complaints already submitted that this is an on going problem with these tires. Goodyear insisted they had received no other complaints on this tire. They obviously lied.

- Portsmouth, NH, USA

Sep 302001

Sidewall separation at bead of tire!!!. (tiresize: 215/75R15)

- Wood River, IL, USA