2006 Dodge Dakota drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Dakota:

2006 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments

Mar 162016

Dakota

I bought my truck at auto advantage in hendersonville N.C. in March 2016 to days later transmission went in limp mode they replaced computer three times, then a week an half later happen again this time they rebuilt transmission. Then wipers want stop at times in park when cutoff. Steering has a popping when turning. Now the truck thru 4 codes check everything next day check codes has 3 codes checked again went to work codes still on that evening started home no light or codes thrown its like it fixed its self need help to solve problems. Can not afford anymore fixes. I owe two loans both on truck auto advantage would not help on transmission repairs. Never buy from them again worst buy I ever had. Can you help me with my problems?

- Weaverville, NC, USA

Apr 082016

4X4 keeps activating by itself, even when off or in the highway

- Richmond, VA, USA

Nov 152010

Dakota

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. While driving at approximately 55 mph, the vehicle went into low gear and the check engine warning light illuminated. The failure occurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 72,000. The VIN was not available.......updated 04/01/16

- Boones Mill, VA, USA

Apr 152015

Dakota

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. While parked, the vehicle switched from two wheel high gear into four wheel low gear. The service four wheel warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 130,000....updated 02/04/16

- Bath, PA, USA

Jul 272015

Dakota

Truck has an AWD 5 speed 545rfe automatic transmission. The "service 4WD" check light started randomly coming on and blinking while the vehicle was in motion and the transfer control case at times felt like it was attempting to and at times did shift into 4hi or 4lo. This happens without any touching of the control switch on the dash. Dealer disclaims any knowledge of the problem and there are no service bulletins or recalls. A search of the internet reveals that there are hundreds if not thousands of Dodge Dakota, durango and Jeep owners over various model years having this problem, some of whom have spent thousands of dollars replacing the transfer case and control modules without fixing the problem. Those few who have reported fixing the problem have indicated that this dangerous condition where the transmission might shift into low range at highway speed and explode is caused by corroded wiring on the circuit including the transfer case, tcu and air conditioning. At this time the electrical connector at the transfer case is disconnected, effectively locking the transmission in AWD status and making all low ranges unavailable. This problem is very dangerous.

- Lake Waynoka, OH, USA

Dec 292014

Dakota 4WD 8-cyl

1. 4WD transfer case changes mode by itself (uncommanded transfer case mode change). 2. at highway speeds, console / cluster will indicate one or more of the following intermittently and randomly: Service 4WD, 4 lo, 4 hi. I haven't determined if there is correlation to these indicators illuminating and the actual transfer case mode. 3. vehicle will shift into 4hi by itself when moving, making U-turns on dry pavement difficult and dangerous. There is no indicator on the dashboard of transfer case mode when this happens. 4. vehicle's transfer case shift motor will activate with truck parked (engine off, key out of ignition, parking brake set, in park) and seems repeatable by opening or closing any of the doors. Transfer case motor sound is the same sequence (truck is normally in 2 hi) every time. 5. manually activating transfer case using dash-mounted 4WD selector knob, while truck is running and moving (4 hi) or in neutral (4 lo) appears to function correctly.

- Easton, MD, USA

Feb 012012

Dakota

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle began to vibrate intermittently. The vehicle was taken to both an authorized dealer and an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The drive shaft was replaced by an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Mahwah, NJ, USA

Mar 092014

Dakota 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, he heard an abnormal noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the pinion nut on the rear differential needed to be replaced with a newly manufacturer pinion nut. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Fairfield, CT, USA

Feb 252014

Dakota

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. The contact stated that the front end alignment would shift from left to right and was unstable. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where a technician repaired a leak in the transmission line and also replaced a fog light, but did not repair the alignment. An independent mechanic inspected and diagnosed that there was a leak in the pinion seal and the front shocks needed to be replaced. The dealer refused to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67632.

- Dudley, MA, USA

Jan 312013

Dakota 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle made a loud noise and the drive shaft fractured and dropped without warning. The contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a pole. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed but no injuries were reported. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 50,000. Updated 4/4/14

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 182013

Dakota 6-cyl

1)pulled out of a food lion parking lot and hit a pot hole and broke the main spline in the transmission. 2) the truck now shuts off as you're going 70 mph and when you crank it back up. The engine light stays on but the rev limiter is kicking in at 2000 rpms until you stop again and shut the motor off, wait 10 seconds and crank it back up. Some times its fine, most of the time it's not. Now the paint is flaking off the top of the truck for no reasons. I've never abused this truck and the only "off roading" it's done was driving in my yard. Please help.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Apr 122013

Dakota 8-cyl

). I am writing to inform you of safety concerns I have with my 2006 Dodge Dakota laramie (4X4 quad cab). My issues are with the transfer case / transmission of my truck. 1.my truck has shifted into four low on its own at low speeds in both reverse and at low speeds moving forward. 2.when I am not in the vehicle my Dodge Dakota will try and shift into four wheel drive on its own (like I said, no one is in the vehicle). 3.when I hit my unlock button, my truck will try and go into four wheel drive. 4.while I am driving both at high and low speeds the 4 low will flash and periodically the svc four wheel drive light will illuminate for a few seconds and then go out. 5.when the vehicle switches into four wheel drive (intermittently) the tires feel to be skidding or locking up.

- Newnan , GA, USA

Sep 172009

Dakota

When brakes are applied at 40-60 mph hard braking or soft it vibrates and shakes replaced shocks turned drums. Still there the dealer said it was the shocks it's not.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

May 062009

Dakota

5/06/09, I went to a Dodge dealership because "check engine" light kept coming on & off. This was an ongoing incident that took place on other occasions throughout my ownership of vehicle, but whenever taken to original dealership, the light was no longer on, & the dealership would state they could not find anything & suggested I bring the vehicle back whenever it came back on. On this latest incident, light remained on & dealership stated that they would "need to remove transmission and break down to find internal failure or replace transmission." The codes that showed up were "P1775, solenoid switch valve latched in ttc position" and "P0218, trans-high temp activated." They were siding on replacing transmission stating that I had 72,570 miles on vehicle. I inquired if under warranty, & they stated that I had exceeded the mileage & my vehicle had just passed the 3 year mark the day prior. I then filed a claim w/Dodge headquarters on 5/7/2009 to inquire about any recalls or assistance w/a new transmission. I had inquired about recalls because I have always kept up w/my routine maintenance, the vehicle was bought new & had just made 3 years & the miles were mostly highway miles. After several followup calls on 5/8/2009, 5/14/2009 & 5/19/2009, Dodge corporate office informed me that they spoke to the dealership, & though rebuilding or replacing the transmission was ideal, they would not assist me w/doing such because my warranty had expired. Additionally, original dealership I had purchased my vehicle from had went out of business, & Dodge customer service stated they could not find any record of me bringing vehicle in for same problem. The only thing they offered was reimbursing the $213.98 I paid to have the truck diagnosed, but after submitting my receipt to them. Dealership could not reverse the transaction to reimburse. Since then, I've had other places look at vehicle who tell me they've seen similar problems w/other Dodge trans of that year. Trans now slipping.

- Newtonville, NJ, USA

Jul 162008

Dakota

Regards to a 2006 Dodge Dakota clubcab pickup truck. Loud bang from rear end of truck @ a stop @ a toll booth on mass pike I-90 in westboro, MA. Towed to nearby westboro Dodge dealer. Rear end from the drive shaft down failed. Could have cause injury or death. Still @ dealership. Truck is out of warranty by 3000 miles. Been in touch with Chrysler dealer, they are calling it a defect but want me to pay first $500. This is a very serious defect that the dot should be aware of. If I was traveling and not stopped the drive shaft could have fell completely out and caused a crash or even worse. My truck is still not repaired. This happened on July 16 2008. I'm a single mom and took very good care of the truck. It was serviced ever 3,000 miles oil, fluids ect. I'm waiting now on faxes from westboro Dodge in westboro MA. To see all of the defects involved. Please contact me thank you!

- Tyngsboro, MA, USA

Jun 132008

Dakota

Just last week at 42,000 miles on the truck and I was told that the steering rack needed to be replaced. I replaced the steering rack and the power steering still doesn't seem to be working only occasionally. I am now being told to bring the truck back into the dealership. Honestly, if they would just take this truck back.I don't even want money back for it..just set me free of this truck and loan and I'd be happy.

- Tunkhannock, PA, USA

Jan 032008

Dakota 8-cyl

As I was driving I started hearing a thumping coming from the front of the truck. I immediately took it to my mechanic at monro in tunkhannock. He advised that the sway bar has gone bad. Along with 80,000 other people that own Dodge Dakota trucks, he put me on a waiting list to get the part. It has been 6 months. No recall, and I am still driving my 2006 Dodge Dakota quad cab truck around with a broken sway bar. The part isn't even available on the aftermarket either. If I would like to trade my vehicle I will take a loss because this piece is broken. Now my rack is going bad because of the added pressure on it because of the sway bar being bad. I tried to call and talk to someone at Chrysler and they said sorry...not sure when it's going to be available. Honestly I want it fixed...I am tired of waiting...and if Chrysler can't keep up with their shabby parts...let me trade my truck for a different one and give me full trade in value on the truck. This is wrong! highway robbery at its best. Please I am begging you to please do something. This is my only vehicle and I bought it knew with intentions of keeping it forever because I thought it was safe. I have a 6 year old that rides with me often. This makes me very nervous to drive it with her...but I don't have a choice. Help!

- Tunkhannock, PA, USA