2006 Dodge Dakota electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Dakota:

2006 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 302015

Dakota 6-cyl

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. The contact experienced a failure with the vehicle starting. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V795000 (electrical system) and 15V313000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 120,000. Parts distribution disconnect. Updated 2/4/16

- Winslow, AR, USA

Jul 182015

Takata recall: TL* the contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V795000 (electrical system) and 15V313000 (air bags) however, the parts to do the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Mar 162015

Back on 1/14/2015 I brought my 2006 Dodge Dakota to a dealership for replacement of rusted brake lines. About two months later, at 45K mi., my driver side seat belt indicator light started to flicker on start-up. Shortly thereafter it would remain lit after start-up. I waited to request re-servicing my vehicle, only to find out the air bags were on recall. Therefore, I waited until I was given the call to bring my vehicle in for air bag replacement. The date for servicing was 10/30/2015. Upon completion of the ai bag replacement I was told my new air bags would not deploy nor does the horn work. This would require an additional $600. The cause of this safety failure was due to a defective clockspring unit. My question is at under 50kmi. Is it normal for this safety component to fail and is this a constant in other vehicles? it seems to me that placing faulty safety related equipment in vehicles only increases profit margins, over and above the normal maintenance expenses.

- Monroe, CT, USA

Apr 152015

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. While parked, the vehicle switched from two wheel high gear into four wheel low gear. The service four wheel warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 130,000....updated 02/04/16

- Bath, PA, USA

Sep 012014

I took my vehicle to my mechanic because my dash light stopped working. He said that there was a recall for the instrument panel and the recall should cover 2006 models. When we run the VIN number it does not show for my vehicle but there was a recall for all other 2006 Dodge durango because it is a fire risk. Can you please see if there is any way that my vehicle just got missed.

- Selmer, TN, USA

Mar 042013

The steering gets hard to turn like it is going to lock up. I spray it with WD40. This happens every few days. The electrical has been screwed up forever. I turn the left turn signal on the the right one blinks and vise versa. Some times they both blink back and forth. I have talked to the local Dodge garage and all they say is that there is no recall. I wasnt notified by Dodge about the driver side airbag either. Looked up the VIN number after seeing a report on tv. That was 2 months ago and the Dodge garage just fixed the air bag on July 21 after I called them for the second time to see if the part was in. Updated 10/07/15

- Nescopeck, PA, USA

Nov 102014

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. The contact stated that the air bag and fuel gauge warning indicators illuminated on the instrument cluster. On one occasion, the vehicle was refueled but the fuel gauge indicated that there was no fuel. The vehicle was restarted and displayed the accurate fuel level reading. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V313000 (air bags) and 14V795000 (electrical system) and stated that the part was not available within a reasonable timeframe to schedule the recall repair. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer could not provide an estimated date for when the contact's vehicle would receive the recall repair. The failure mileage was not available.

- Doerun, GA, USA

Apr 032015

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V795000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Hudson, FL, USA

Dec 292014

Dakota 4WD 8-cyl

1. 4WD transfer case changes mode by itself (uncommanded transfer case mode change). 2. at highway speeds, console / cluster will indicate one or more of the following intermittently and randomly: Service 4WD, 4 lo, 4 hi. I haven't determined if there is correlation to these indicators illuminating and the actual transfer case mode. 3. vehicle will shift into 4hi by itself when moving, making U-turns on dry pavement difficult and dangerous. There is no indicator on the dashboard of transfer case mode when this happens. 4. vehicle's transfer case shift motor will activate with truck parked (engine off, key out of ignition, parking brake set, in park) and seems repeatable by opening or closing any of the doors. Transfer case motor sound is the same sequence (truck is normally in 2 hi) every time. 5. manually activating transfer case using dash-mounted 4WD selector knob, while truck is running and moving (4 hi) or in neutral (4 lo) appears to function correctly.

- Easton, MD, USA

Jun 142014

Dakota 8-cyl

We were driving down hwy I-5 in seattle Washington. My husbands knee bumped the key in the ignition and the vehicle turned off. This happened 3 times since we have had the vehicle. We have only had the vehicle for year.

- Walla Walla, WA, USA

Jan 042014

The past few months I have had the ABS light coming on and off with the gauges all dropping and not working. Today I was sitting in park when my horn came on and all the dash lights came on then the wipers and sprayers started going off while the radio was switching through channels. I saw on this sight that the problems look similar to problems of vehicles that were recalled. After calling the manufacturer they are telling me that even though the problems are similar my vehicle isn't under this recall for 06 Dodge Dakotas.

- Finleyville , PA, USA

Apr 122013

Dakota 8-cyl

). I am writing to inform you of safety concerns I have with my 2006 Dodge Dakota laramie (4X4 quad cab). My issues are with the transfer case / transmission of my truck. truck has shifted into four low on its own at low speeds in both reverse and at low speeds moving forward. 2.when I am not in the vehicle my Dodge Dakota will try and shift into four wheel drive on its own (like I said, no one is in the vehicle). 3.when I hit my unlock button, my truck will try and go into four wheel drive. 4.while I am driving both at high and low speeds the 4 low will flash and periodically the svc four wheel drive light will illuminate for a few seconds and then go out. 5.when the vehicle switches into four wheel drive (intermittently) the tires feel to be skidding or locking up.

- Newnan , GA, USA

Apr 052010

My turn signals and windshield wipers do not work all the time. It occurs at random times and I can temporarily fix it by adjusting the steering column.

- Hollywood, MD, USA

Feb 072012

The windshield wipers and turn signals have been malfunctioning for a few weeks. When I attempt to signal left, the signal turns on to the right and vice versa. The windshield wipers are not reliable when using the switch. Both turn signals and windshield wipers stopped working completely.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Feb 012008

Wipers and turn signals stop working and then come back on when they get ready. Malfunctioning.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 012008

Dakota 4WD 8-cyl

2006 Dodge Dakota quad cab 4X4...power door lock actuators have failed and had to be replaced a total of six times since 11/2008 (all four doors once and the rear doors twice). Problems started at 35,000 miles with front driver side actuator, then proceeded to front passenger several months later, then rear driver side, rear passenger side, front driver side, rear driver side. Mileage at last failure: 82,000. Vehicle not subjected to extreme conditions. City/highway driving only (no off road).

- Newburgh, IN, USA

Dec 282010

Turn signal switch turns on right turn signals when selecting the left turn signals. Right side works fine.

- Parker, CO, USA

Jan 262009

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota quadcab slt. The contact stated that the information system built into the overhead console would display improper miles to gallon readings and the electrical compass would also indicate incorrect directional readings. The front passenger side window would not function intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where it was repaired. The failure continued. The contact also noticed that there was water leaking into the rear tail lights, causing the lights to burn out. The vehicle was repaired by the dealer. On another occasion, the vehicle was parked when the horn began to sound. The contact had to turn the headlight switch off to stop the horn. The dealer could not diagnose the failure. The failure continued. The contact also stated that the vehicle jerked when he shifted gears. The transfer case was replaced at the local dealer. Upon receiving the vehicle from the dealer, the vehicle vibrated and intermittently hesitated when gears were shifted. The failure mileage was approximately 21,000 and the current mileage was approximately 55,000.

- Capac, MI, USA

Nov 012009

I noticed that the windshiled wipers would come on by it self, as time went on the dashboard lights and stereo would go off for about 4 seconds; later the horn would blow and the wipe fluid would squirt, then I would get a aweful shock when I touch the gear shifter. All these occur whenever I start the truck after sitting for more than 7 hours, then at any given time while driving with at least 4-5 times and ever increasing as mileage travelling.

- Junction City, KS, USA

Nov 152006

Dakota 8-cyl

- the contact stated that he received a recall notice forthe 2006 Dodge Dakota to have the cab compartment node repaired. He took the vehicle to the dealership, and they kept the vehicle for 4 hours, and advised him that they were unable to complete the repair due to a problem with the hand held computer. The vehicle was taken to the dealership a second time, and after waiting four hours the contact requested the vehicle, and stated he would reschedule. The vehicle currently has 29,000 miles.

- Tuscon, AZ, USA