CarComplaints.com Notes: A prime example of why you should never buy the first model year of a new vehicle.

2009 Dodge Journey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments

Feb 212016

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. While driving 50 mph and making a right turn on a curve, the vehicle started to wiggle. The contact depressed the brake pedal, skid into traffic, and crashed into a ditch; however, the vehicle continued skidding into the bushes. As a result, all four windows fractured. The vehicle was towed to the contacted residence. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The contact received notification of nets campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Carrizo Spring, TX, USA

Jun 072016

Journey

Let it be noted that after the R03 recall all the following issues started occurring. First incident: Driving about 30mph every light on the dashboard except the engine light illuminated, gauges spun around and back and forth, then stopped all together, the rmp's revved up to 5ooo and the accelerator went to the floor with no action as if the car was off. There was a obviuous loss of power, the car was hesitating like it wanted to stall out, and the vehicle once stopped did not start again until being jumped. Once started, none of the light were on except, oddly now, the engine light which threw codes PO0562 & PO700. The battery read 12.2V on the diagnostic while off then 14.4 when the car was started(after being jumped for 1 minute only). 5 minutes into the drive and boom, the demon took over the car again but now the car would not go pst maybe 7mph, again in accelerator power, no shifting, all power still on in the car, but seems low on power. Once turned off, it would not start but still had power. Again, got jumped, diagnostic, and same codes, alternator fine, battery fine, seems to be getting poor connection. Started 2 days later and loud, unstable idle, won't switch gears seems as if its on but running off of stored power. Dealer now says only code is PO622. Symptoms are seeming to be the tipm all over again. Again, none of this started until I took it to Dodge to have the RO3 recall repaired. The key since also does not register at times, will say "mismatch key" on dashboard, all sensors flash then go away such as (gascap, door ajar, check engine light would ignite with no code, gate, key), wouldn't turn over, frequent :dead battery" then starts without jump few minutes later. Overtime the car will act possessed with all lights on is after hitting a bump, again Chrysler dealer recall department is stating tipm, dewlap will not check that while diagnosing. Help!

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 032016

Journey

End of valve stem shot out of stem while trying to air up tire, end corroded and broke, replaced stem and sensor unit. Seems that this is a serious problem with the metal types that are put on and installed at the factory on these models cars. Even service station (Firestone) said they have collection of bad stems on these vehicles. I got lucky that I noticed air pressure indicator light was on an took it to station to air up tire when I tried to put air in tire and end shot out like a rocket and then I lost all the air in my tire. What has to be done to have this issue taken care of by the manufacturer when these are obviously defective. Does some one have to be driving down the road get in an accident because the stem blows out and they get a flat or blow a tire. My car was stationary at the tire pump at the time this happened, I called road side assistance to remove my tire but there was nothing they could do otherwise.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Jan 222016

Journey

We bought the car new in April of 2009. In August of 2012 brakes started acting 'sticky and jerky'. took it back to the dealership just because of the brakes (had extended warranty). We had a strong feeling it had something to do with the esp bas system. They didn't even look at it before saying ┐no┐ it wasn't the esp bas system. Through multiple dealership service visits, oil changes and such; brakes stayed constantly jerky. 2+ years ago I went into dealership for tire rotation and oil change and they told me I'd have to replace my brakes soon. Unhappy with the long wait and cost of service at the dealership I've been taking the Journey into another shop where I asked them to check my brakes and they said they were fine. Yesterday while driving approx. 35mph the esp bas lights came on and all of a sudden the brakes weren't sticky or jerky. They worked like they were supposed to in the first place. The esp bas (yellow) lights will not turn off. I know sooner or later I'll have to replace the brakes because they put such shoddy ones on at the factory, but the problem with the esp bas is a computer problem that effected the brake system and it should have been addressed by the dealership. Between the poor dismissive way the dealership handled this esp bas problem (didn┐T even test drive) and the cheap brakes Dodge installed. I will never buy a vehicle from either of them again.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Aug 012015

Journey

We are very concerned, my wife nothing in the car with the child every day, and the Dodge homestead in Florida does not answer, not forbik you run the air bag, or, nor the electrical system, you will block placed, god forbid pass an accident.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Feb 142015

Journey 6-cyl

I was driving down the road, (the road has a slope) my car hit a bump in the road and shut completely off. I kept pressing the brake but it didn't stop the car from rolling down hill because there was no power to the car. My car rolled into the back of another car. This vehicle is part of a recall and I have made several trips to a dealer to get it repaired but I am told each time that the part is not available. I am afraid to drive this car. This time it was an accident the next time it shuts off it may be a fatality.

- Cairo, IL, USA

Aug 212013

Journey 6-cyl

Car all of a sudden shuts off while driving down the street at various speeds.35-70 steering wheel locks, you have very little control. Very very dangerous has been hooked up to certified auto shop diagnostic computer all codes come back fine and they can not tell me why this happens. I already replaced crankshaft sensor to test if that was what was wrong with it. I am not going to go thru all these fixes for testing. Dodge needs to do a recall on this problem. I called Dodge direct to start a recall process. Something needs to be done before a fatality happens!

- Raymond, NH, USA

Jan 182014

Journey

Both front window will not go up from left master switch however rt window will operate from rt switch. Diag found that the vehicle drive door harness and module must be replaced.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jan 272012

Journey 6-cyl

The car was scanned several times. It has electrical defects and shows up 17 codes, must of them active. Brakes lights and control panel don't works. When we open only the second row door, lights don't work, but if you open any front door then we have lights. Also, we have problems with the entertainment center. It was changed by the dealer a couple of times but still showing the same problem. All the dashboard lights was changed by the dealer but until now we still having the same problem, for example, gas meter goes on and off, mph meter and tachometer goes down and up while the car is moving on the road. A couple of times we were unable to turn on the car after a lot of tries. Car dealer changed battery of the car by June/2012. When this happen while driving the car I feel so insecure cause I have a 4 year old child and I afraid something bad happen to my child and me. Its so weird seen all the dashboard lights going on and off while driving, its like the car turned crazy.

- Caguas, PR, USA

Dec 092011

Journey

Our electronic throttle control (etc) came on last Friday evening. We cycled the key and the etc sensor shut off. However, further searches showed that this problem could be caused by cold weather. No recalls are noted on NHTSA's website. The Dodge Journey handbook is very vague on what action should be taken if the etc sensor appears for a short time but then disappears after key cycling is complete.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Jun 302009

Journey 6-cyl

I purchased a 2009 Dodge Journey in August of 2008. I have had repeated problems with rotor and brake wear. The rotors have been replaced twice and all 4 brakes have been replaced twice with the front being replaced 3 times. The first of which occurred just past 12,000 miles. This is when brake and rotor wear warranty ends. I have also had significant problems with the wiring sensor module, resulting in stability control and anti-lock brake light to come one. I also have power ports in the vehicle that do not work as well as a lift gate that does not lock. I currently have 48,000 miles on the vehicle and now have issues with leaking. I am unsure how water is entering the vehicle, possibly thru the air conditioning drainage system. The entire drivers side floor boards are wet as well as the built in cooler behind the drivers seat being completely filled with water within several days of emptying. This occurs when it is not raining or wet outside. I now have mold issues in the vehicle. Myself and my children have significant allergies and asthma. This vehicle is unsafe to drive. The electrical problems resulting in air bag failure are defiantly scary.

- Dawsonville, GA, USA

Jun 142009

Journey

I purchased a 2009 Dodge Journey. At 22,000 miles the brakes failed. The front brake pads had completely worn to the metal. The rotors where gouged terribly. The rear were ok"...the dealer stated "they must be using soft pads"???"....unsafe to drive, brake failure could occur at any moment. The 19' tires do not match the very small brake assembly...and Dodge's "bumper to bumper" warranty is a lie.

- Clayton, NC, USA