CarComplaints.com Notes: A prime example of why you should never buy the first model year of a new vehicle.

8.2

1. replace pads & rotors (158 reports)
  2. all brakes and rotors had to be replaced (37 reports)
  4. replaced pads & machined rotors (31 reports)
  5. replaced brakes (21 reports)
  6. replace rotors (15 reports)
2009 Dodge Journey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 17)

Apr 152015

Journey SXT V6

I bought this car from a dealership in Feb. 2013. I have had to replace the pads and rotors THREE times now! We just had them completely replaced again, about a month ago, and the rotors are already so warped that my steering wheel about shakes my arms off when I apply my brakes.

I love all of the options this car has, but it eats thru tires and brakes/rotors way too often. And for this car having 19" tires...that's no cheap replacement. It is NOT my driving, I assure you.

- , Carlisle, OH, USA

Feb 142014

Journey EX 3.5L V6

The recall on the ignition problems last year has never been fixed. Afraid to drive it any distance.

- , Wright City, MO, USA

Mar 012015

Journey RT 3.2L V6

Here we go again... brakes and rotors had to be replaced again....

- , Lees Summit, MO, USA

Oct 012013

Journey RT 3.2L V6

This is just the beginning of the problems with this car.....

- , Lees Summit, MO, USA

Jun 142014

Journey SXT 3.5

This is the third time I've had brake work done. First time was when the vehicle had 19,367 miles on it.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 152013

Journey RT 3.5L

I should buy stock in Journey brake parts company. Dodge leaders should be held responsible for this engineering FU!!!

Jul 122011

Journey RT 3.5L

Sh*tty design, sh*tty company puts this crap on vehicle.

Dec 152009

Journey RT 3.5L

Brought to dealership and turned away as normal wear.

Dec 102014

Journey RT 3.2L V6

Like so many others, complete replacement of brakes, rotors, pads at under 40,000...absolutely absurd. Chyrsler should replace all brakes on these vehicles for free as it is obviously an engineering design error. Will never buy another Dodge/Chrysler again.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 302010

Journey 3.5L

The brakes have continued to go out between 10,000 and 12,000. The dealer loves to see me bring it in as they will not cover it even though it is a design error. Don't think I will buy another dodge for a while, even though I also have a magnum. But then, the magnum has been one of the best cars I have ever owned! Go figure!

- , Richmond, TX, USA

Jan 022013

Journey SXT V6

This 2009 Journey has had 5 complete brake jobs since we bought the car. The car only has 57000 miles. Also the key fobs are so cheap we have had to replace both of them and they cost almost $250 per key fob. The vehicle is garbage. Also at 35000 miles complete radiator replacement.

- , Harahan, LA, USA

Feb 202015

Journey LX 4.2L

I BROUGHT MY JOURNEY IN MAY 2009. EVERY SINCE I HAD IT, IT'S BEEN PROBLEMS. MY BRAKES AND ROTORS KEPT GIVING OUT. NOW IT'S THE IGNITION SWITCH. IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING WITH THIS CAR.

I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO GET ANOTHER CAR. 3 MONTHS AGO I HAD BRAKES PADS REPLACED AND NOW THIS IT'S THE ROTORS AGAIN. WHEN I FIRST BROUGHT IT IN 2009 THE BRAKES AND THE ROTORS HAD TO BE REPLACED IN 2010 AND AGAIN 2012 AND PUT NEW BRAKE PADS IN 2014.

NOW IT SOUNDS LIKE THE ROTORS AGAIN. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I CALLED CORPORATE OFFICE ABOUT HAVING TO RIDE AROUND WITH A BAD IGNITION SWITCH. THE MAN I SPOKE WITH SAID HE WAS SORRY ABOUT THAT. HOW ABOUT REPLACING THE CARS WE ARE DRIVEN ON A DAILY BASIS, PUTTING OUR LIVES IN JEOPARDY? I PRAY EVERY DAY I DON'T GET INTO ANY ACCIDENT.

- , New Orleans, LA, USA

Nov 142014

Journey 3.2L V6

I drive this car very little, just to work and some errands, and only had between 35000 -40000 km on vehicle when I had to replace both the front and back brakes. This is crazy since the vehicle is never used!

- , St. Albert, AB, canada

Sep 012010

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

I was military in Germany so I didn't have access to a Dodge dealership. Brakes not cheap overseas.

Jun 022014

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

Again, just over a year later, another set of brakes. Pads worn down to metal, rotors trashed

Nov 012012

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

Had them replaced only about a year prior. Told by dealership break wear wasn't covered under our 100000 mile bumper to bumper warranty

Feb 092015

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

click to see larger images

premature brake and rotor wear premature brake and rotor wear premature brake and rotor wear premature brake and rotor wear

Finally Googled Dodge Journey brake problems and found out this is a mass problem, not just my wife's driving habits. Also found out the replacements should've been covered under our warranty, along with the extended 4 year warranty Dodge offered on brakes. Would've thought Dodge would've sent a notification out, like a recall letter to let consumers know of the brake problems.

Update from Feb 26, 2015: I had another set of brakes replaced in between this and the last complaint but don't remember the mileage. These brakes only had about 20,000 miles of usage.

May 122013

Journey SXT 3.2V6

I brought the car (2009 Dodge Journey) used. He had replaced the brakes at 24000. I had 36000 on it and replaced them shortly after that. Now at 54000 miles, I replaced for second time.

- , BIRCH RUN, MI, USA

Jan 072015

Journey

We are on our 3rd set of front brakes and out second set of rear. Now they are saying we have 5% brakes left on the rear. The guy at Dodge blames it on the way my wife drives. Her driving is not the problem.

- , Houma, LA, USA

Oct 092014

Journey SXT

I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS CAR! DODGE KNOWS ABOUT THE MILLION COMPLAINTS OF ITS CONSUMERS BUT COULD CARE LESS. IN LESS THAN 2 YEARS, I HAVE CHANGE THE BRAKES/ROTORS/CALIPERS ON THIS VEHICLE 3X! IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS OF OWNING THE CAR, AT 34,000 MILES, THE THERMOSTAT AND ANTI FREEZE TANK WENT OUT AND HAD TO BE REPLACED! I HAVE CHANGE THE TIRES ON THIS CAR 4X ALREADY! AND NOW MY BRAKES/CALIPERS HAVE WORN DOWN YET AGAIN! THIS MORNING I WOKE UP TO THE ESP TRACTION LIGHT! AND ABOVE ALL.................SOMEBODY PLEASE GOOGLE - THIS CAR HAS AN INTERMITTENT START! DODGE FINALLY SENT ME A RECALL NOTICE IN AUGUST 2014 REGARDING THE "ON" POSITION OF THE IGNITION............GUESS WHAT - NO PARTS AVAILABLE PER DODGE, AND WE WILL BE CONTACTED WHEN THEY ARE AVAILABLE. WELL ITS NEARLY NOVEMBER AND I HAVEN'T HEARD A PEEP OUTTA DODGE! SO I GUESS IF MY CAR DOESN'T START.............THEN DODGE COULD CARELESS! I WILL NEVER IN MY LIFE PURCHASE A DODGE/CHRYLSER NOTHING! I'M GOING BACK TO FORD..............WHERE AT LEAST THEY CARE ABOUT THEIR CONSUMERS! SOMEONE HAS TRIED IN VAIN TO GET A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT GOING............PLEASE COUNT ME IN IF THIS EVER DOES HAPPEN! I URGE EVERY DODGE OWNER TO TRADE THEIR CAR................DON'T PURCHASE FROM THEM EVER AGAIN!

- , charlotte, NC, USA