CarComplaints.com Notes: A prime example of why you should never buy the first model year of a new vehicle.

8.2

1. replace pads & rotors (159 reports)
  2. all brakes and rotors had to be replaced (38 reports)
  4. replaced pads & machined rotors (31 reports)
  5. replaced brakes (21 reports)
  6. replace rotors (16 reports)
2009 Dodge Journey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 17)

Aug 012015

Journey SXT 3.5L

This is the most terrible vehicle I have ever bought. I will never own another Dodge. Week 2 of having it the car would not drive, transfer case went out. Brakes and rotors wear out too soon and tires lose air all the time. Vehicle shakes so badly it feels like the wheels are going to fall off going down the road. I hate Dodge and I hate this vehicle.

- , Westover, WV, USA

Jul 202015

Journey LX 2.2L

After a month driving and feeling scare because when braking the car start shaking really bad, I decide to drop it at my mechanic's garage. Problem was the rotors. (again) Twice I have had to pay to change it. First time when the car had approx 100000 KM on it and now again that had 175000 KM. After CA $413 Canadian dollars bill car is working well again. Thanks to my mechanic.

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Oct 012014

Journey RS V6

I replaced the pads & had the rotors machined less than a year ago (October 2014) & now (August 2015) they sound like it is metal to metal again.

- , Wichita, KS, USA

Nov 242010

Journey R/T V6

Had to replace all 4 rotors and brakes due to premature wear. Replaced with lifetime pads and better rotors, and haven't had much of an issue since. Still a big pain in the ass with 2 very young kids. significant safety issues.

- , Somers, CT, USA

Apr 152015

Journey SXT V6

I bought this car from a dealership in Feb. 2013. I have had to replace the pads and rotors THREE times now! We just had them completely replaced again, about a month ago, and the rotors are already so warped that my steering wheel about shakes my arms off when I apply my brakes.

I love all of the options this car has, but it eats thru tires and brakes/rotors way too often. And for this car having 19" tires...that's no cheap replacement. It is NOT my driving, I assure you.

- , Carlisle, OH, USA

Feb 142014

Journey EX 3.5L V6

The recall on the ignition problems last year has never been fixed. Afraid to drive it any distance.

- , Wright City, MO, USA

Mar 012015

Journey RT 3.2L V6

Here we go again... brakes and rotors had to be replaced again....

- , Lees Summit, MO, USA

Oct 012013

Journey RT 3.2L V6

This is just the beginning of the problems with this car.....

- , Lees Summit, MO, USA

Jun 142014

Journey SXT 3.5

This is the third time I've had brake work done. First time was when the vehicle had 19,367 miles on it.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 152013

Journey RT 3.5L

I should buy stock in Journey brake parts company. Dodge leaders should be held responsible for this engineering FU!!!

Jul 122011

Journey RT 3.5L

Sh*tty design, sh*tty company puts this crap on vehicle.

Dec 152009

Journey RT 3.5L

Brought to dealership and turned away as normal wear.

Dec 102014

Journey RT 3.2L V6

Like so many others, complete replacement of brakes, rotors, pads at under 40,000...absolutely absurd. Chyrsler should replace all brakes on these vehicles for free as it is obviously an engineering design error. Will never buy another Dodge/Chrysler again.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 302010

Journey 3.5L

The brakes have continued to go out between 10,000 and 12,000. The dealer loves to see me bring it in as they will not cover it even though it is a design error. Don't think I will buy another dodge for a while, even though I also have a magnum. But then, the magnum has been one of the best cars I have ever owned! Go figure!

- , Richmond, TX, USA

Jan 022013

Journey SXT V6

This 2009 Journey has had 5 complete brake jobs since we bought the car. The car only has 57000 miles. Also the key fobs are so cheap we have had to replace both of them and they cost almost $250 per key fob. The vehicle is garbage. Also at 35000 miles complete radiator replacement.

- , Harahan, LA, USA

Feb 202015

Journey LX 4.2L

I BROUGHT MY JOURNEY IN MAY 2009. EVERY SINCE I HAD IT, IT'S BEEN PROBLEMS. MY BRAKES AND ROTORS KEPT GIVING OUT. NOW IT'S THE IGNITION SWITCH. IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING WITH THIS CAR.

I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO GET ANOTHER CAR. 3 MONTHS AGO I HAD BRAKES PADS REPLACED AND NOW THIS IT'S THE ROTORS AGAIN. WHEN I FIRST BROUGHT IT IN 2009 THE BRAKES AND THE ROTORS HAD TO BE REPLACED IN 2010 AND AGAIN 2012 AND PUT NEW BRAKE PADS IN 2014.

NOW IT SOUNDS LIKE THE ROTORS AGAIN. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I CALLED CORPORATE OFFICE ABOUT HAVING TO RIDE AROUND WITH A BAD IGNITION SWITCH. THE MAN I SPOKE WITH SAID HE WAS SORRY ABOUT THAT. HOW ABOUT REPLACING THE CARS WE ARE DRIVEN ON A DAILY BASIS, PUTTING OUR LIVES IN JEOPARDY? I PRAY EVERY DAY I DON'T GET INTO ANY ACCIDENT.

Update from May 2, 2016: Now it's the airbags what's next I open the back door one day and found water in the door where did that come from I was shaken the door and it was full of water what's going now where did the water come from if anybody know please tell if your having that problem.

- , New Orleans, LA, USA

Nov 142014

Journey 3.2L V6

I drive this car very little, just to work and some errands, and only had between 35000 -40000 km on vehicle when I had to replace both the front and back brakes. This is crazy since the vehicle is never used!

- , St. Albert, AB, canada

Sep 012010

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

I was military in Germany so I didn't have access to a Dodge dealership. Brakes not cheap overseas.

Jun 022014

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

Again, just over a year later, another set of brakes. Pads worn down to metal, rotors trashed

Nov 012012

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

Had them replaced only about a year prior. Told by dealership break wear wasn't covered under our 100000 mile bumper to bumper warranty