8.1

1. replace pads & rotors (156 reports)
  2. all brakes and rotors had to be replaced (31 reports)
  3. replaced pads & machined rotors (31 reports)
  5. replaced brakes (21 reports)
  6. replace rotors (15 reports)
2009 Dodge Journey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 16)

Nov 142014

Journey 3.2L V6

I drive this car very little, just to work and some errands, and only had between 35000 -40000 km on vehicle when I had to replace both the front and back brakes. This is crazy since the vehicle is never used!

- , St. Albert, AB, canada

Sep 012010

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

I was military in Germany so I didn't have access to a Dodge dealership. Brakes not cheap overseas.

Jun 022014

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

Again, just over a year later, another set of brakes. Pads worn down to metal, rotors trashed

Nov 012012

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

Had them replaced only about a year prior. Told by dealership break wear wasn't covered under our 100000 mile bumper to bumper warranty

Feb 092015

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

click to see larger images

premature brake and rotor wear premature brake and rotor wear premature brake and rotor wear premature brake and rotor wear

Finally Googled Dodge Journey brake problems and found out this is a mass problem, not just my wife's driving habits. Also found out the replacements should've been covered under our warranty, along with the extended 4 year warranty Dodge offered on brakes. Would've thought Dodge would've sent a notification out, like a recall letter to let consumers know of the brake problems.

Update from Feb 26, 2015: I had another set of brakes replaced in between this and the last complaint but don't remember the mileage. These brakes only had about 20,000 miles of usage.

May 122013

Journey SXT 3.2V6

I brought the car (2009 Dodge Journey) used. He had replaced the brakes at 24000. I had 36000 on it and replaced them shortly after that. Now at 54000 miles, I replaced for second time.

- , BIRCH RUN, MI, USA

Jan 072015

Journey

We are on our 3rd set of front brakes and out second set of rear. Now they are saying we have 5% brakes left on the rear. The guy at Dodge blames it on the way my wife drives. Her driving is not the problem.

- , Houma, LA, USA

Oct 092014

Journey SXT

I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS CAR! DODGE KNOWS ABOUT THE MILLION COMPLAINTS OF ITS CONSUMERS BUT COULD CARE LESS. IN LESS THAN 2 YEARS, I HAVE CHANGE THE BRAKES/ROTORS/CALIPERS ON THIS VEHICLE 3X! IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS OF OWNING THE CAR, AT 34,000 MILES, THE THERMOSTAT AND ANTI FREEZE TANK WENT OUT AND HAD TO BE REPLACED! I HAVE CHANGE THE TIRES ON THIS CAR 4X ALREADY! AND NOW MY BRAKES/CALIPERS HAVE WORN DOWN YET AGAIN! THIS MORNING I WOKE UP TO THE ESP TRACTION LIGHT! AND ABOVE ALL.................SOMEBODY PLEASE GOOGLE - THIS CAR HAS AN INTERMITTENT START! DODGE FINALLY SENT ME A RECALL NOTICE IN AUGUST 2014 REGARDING THE "ON" POSITION OF THE IGNITION............GUESS WHAT - NO PARTS AVAILABLE PER DODGE, AND WE WILL BE CONTACTED WHEN THEY ARE AVAILABLE. WELL ITS NEARLY NOVEMBER AND I HAVEN'T HEARD A PEEP OUTTA DODGE! SO I GUESS IF MY CAR DOESN'T START.............THEN DODGE COULD CARELESS! I WILL NEVER IN MY LIFE PURCHASE A DODGE/CHRYLSER NOTHING! I'M GOING BACK TO FORD..............WHERE AT LEAST THEY CARE ABOUT THEIR CONSUMERS! SOMEONE HAS TRIED IN VAIN TO GET A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT GOING............PLEASE COUNT ME IN IF THIS EVER DOES HAPPEN! I URGE EVERY DODGE OWNER TO TRADE THEIR CAR................DON'T PURCHASE FROM THEM EVER AGAIN!

- , charlotte, North Carolina, USA

Oct 012014

Journey SXT V6

I purchased this SUV the end of April 2014. I have to replace the brakes already and the dealership said they were in good condition. I went in July 2014 for an oil change and my brakes were fine. In September 2014 I had to have some other work done and they told me I need new brakes asap. I don't understand that at all. Something seriously needs to be done about that.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Mar 012013

Journey RS V6

I had to replace the first set of brakes at about 24,000 miles, then a second set at 50,000 with all rotors, now a third set of brakes at 65,000 miles. I am not a fast driver, nor do I slam on my brakes when stopping. This is getting pricey and ridiculous. Dodge has done nothing for my brake problem, the remote locking system (which doesn't unlock the doors and turn off the alarm) or the peeling of the paint from the side mirrors.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Jan 162012

Journey SE 2.4L

At 40000km the brake pedal started pulsing and steering wheel shaking violently. Recently I found out that the brake rotors were warped. I am NOT an aggressive driver, nor do I use brakes excessively. How could this happen ?!!!.

- , Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Nov 032014

Journey SE 2.4L

I would never buy another Dodge product again, I have had my Journey since it was brand new and have replaced the brakes 8 times, 3 times this year alone, out of those times only one was covered as part of the recall. The first time I had to change them the car only had 12,000Km, the second was at 24,000km. I wish I could afford to get a new car but I just finished paying this one off.

- , Ottawa, ON, Canada

May 142010

Journey SXT V6

I have replaced the brakes on my 2009 Dodge Journey four times. The first time, Chrysler reimbursed me for the cost. The other times, I replaced the brakes and rotors at my expense. Additionally, the original tires failed prematurely, and I was unable to find the correct tire size for my vehicle. It appears only one manufacturer produces tires for my vehicle. I am currently on my third set of tires. At 70,000 miles, my engine was replaced. I had a recurring problem with the oil running out of the engine. The oil warning light did not go off. The car was not burning oil or leaking oil.

- , Blue Springs, Missouri, USA

Jul 302014

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

CHANGED PADS AT 31,000 MI. NOW ROTORS ON FRONT NEED REPLACED AT 43,000 MI. WHEN IS IT GOING TO STOP? DODGE DOESN'T BELIEVE THERE IS A PROBLEM. WOULD SELL BUT CAN'T AFFORD A CAR PAYMENT. NEVER HAD TO REPLACE PADS AND ROTORS THIS MANY TIMES ON ANY OTHER VEHICLE, EVEN ONES I TOWED 25 FOOT TRAVEL TRAILER WITH.

- , York, PA, USA

Aug 202014

Journey

Yes, I have replaced my brakes and rotors - it seems every 3 months. They are constantly making noises.

- , Madison, TN, USA

Sep 172014

Journey V6

I have put brakes and rotors on this car 3 times in 2 years. I bought it used with 30,000 miles. In 50,000 miles I have put brakes and rotors on three times. I believe this a huge problem that Dodge needs to address. I believe they need to redesign these or warranty the brakes for the lifetime of the car and pay all charges. I have spent more than $1400 just on brakes for this car in two years. For a single mother of two that is a big expense to pay every year. I have owned Dodge/Chrysler for all my adult life and I am questioning ever buying their products again because of this.

- , Hartford, WI, USA

Sep 302010

Journey R/T 3.5L

PREMATURE BRAKE PAD AND ROTOR FAILURE. HAVE TO REPLACE PADS AND ROTORS EVERY 20-24 K MILES. I'M A CONSERVATIVE DRIVER AND HAVE ALWAYS GOTTEN AT LEAST 60K MILES BETWEEN BRAKE SERVICES.

THIS CONSTITUTES A SERIOUS SAFETY HAZARD AND SHOULD BE REDESIGNED AND REPLACED UNDER A RECALL.

- , Concord, NC, USA

Apr 152014

Journey SXT V6

I shouldn't have to change my brakes prematurely because of cheap or faulty equipment. I thought I was paying for good quality.

- , Calipatria, CA, USA

Jun 102012

Journey SXT 3.2L V6

i will never trust a dodge car. the fix for the dodge journey brake problem is a straight one. just provide a new kit that we will be able to get even if i have to pay for it and get rid of the problem.

no one is perfect but i like the ones that admit their mistakes and are ready to assume responsibility not hide behind layers.

this is my last dodge car.

- , pensacola, Fl, USA

Jun 152012

Journey SXT 3.2L V6

i have owned the car since 2009 hand have change the front brakes at least five times and rotors twice and rear brakes and rotor once. i did the work my self was not sure of warranty. changed brakes and rotors last week and now the front end shakes when i step on brakes was told by parts dealer it could be the calipers and i am not the type of driver who rides the brakes or jam the brakes hard. i have been driving for 54 yrs and consider my self a safe driver and cautious and i have only 3 or four tickets in my life and they were my fault for not watching my speed. this the first new car i have ever owned and put my own mileage on it and the first one i have ever had this much brake problems on by the way back in the day you learned how to work on your own cars to save money when raising a large family other than these stupid break problems i love my dodge and always been a dodge fan but if i buy another car it wont be a dodge or crysler

- , Chattanooga, TN, USA