CarComplaints.com Notes: A prime example of why you should never buy the first model year of a new vehicle.

8.2

1. replace pads & rotors (163 reports)
  2. all brakes and rotors had to be replaced (38 reports)
  4. replaced pads & machined rotors (31 reports)
  5. replaced brakes (21 reports)
  6. replace rotors (16 reports)
2009 Dodge Journey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 18)

Aug 012016

Journey ES V6

Brakes went bad 2012 had them replaced . Lithuania wanted over $500 those brakes would have been for life of car. Told the lady you put cheap brakes on them and then ask $500 for the better brakes. She said yes. I took the car back to place put them and he said rotors $500 so I come home and for family to do do. Turns out it wasn't rotors, one of the front brakes was broken in half. Went back there again and it was brake dust causing them to squeak. Now squeak Muskie pedal, asked family to please look at rotors before I go back again.

- , Portland, TX, USA

Nov 122008

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

We are on the 7th set of brake pads on the front and 5th set for the rear...replaced the front pads the 7th time on July 27, 2016 at 148,600 miles. We are on the 4th set of front rotors and 3rd set of rear rotors. We have needed to turn the front rotors in between pad changes three times to correct warp issues. We turn rotors each time the pads are changed to correct warp issues (only taking off what is absolutely necessary.) I do my own brakes, but, this is a great annoyance and should be addressed by Chrysler by providing a permanent fix to the problem (install re-designed rotors and pads/calipers.) If I were to make a mistake in designing something I sell to the public, I would fix the problem!

- , Sibley, MO, USA

Apr 082010

Journey

The brakes failed after only 21000 KMs, and I had them fixed at an independent garage, at lower cost than the dealer was quoting me.

I have since returned the vehicle, (it was leased) and taken a second Dodge Journey, only to have the same problem exist on the 2010 model.

So I am pretty upset to hear that that I have paid out a total of $2000.00 CDN on both cares to have the brakes fixed, and Chrysler knew about this all along.

- , Pincourt, QC, Canada

Feb 252016

Journey SE 2.4L V6

This is the second time I've had to have the rear pads and rotors replaced in two years and I had only driven 14,333 miles. The front pads and rotors were replaced on 04/23/2015 when the total mileage on this vehicle was 39, 800 miles. This is my third complaint regarding premature pad and rotor wear on this 2009 Dodge Journey

Apr 232014

Journey SE 2.4L V6

Front pads and rotors replaced with the mileage of 39,800 total miles on this vehicle.

Jul 092014

Journey SE 2.4L V6

I purchased the Dodge Journey in 2011. There was only 28,000 miles on the vehicle when I had to have the rear brakes and rotors replaced. I have three complaints including this one about the premature wear on pads and rotors for this vehicle. Service dates are 07/09/2014 (rear pads and rotors); 04/23/2015 (front pads and rotors); 02/25/2016 (rear pads and rotors).

Jan 122015

Journey SXT V6

Steering wheel shook so much when braking. My fault that I didn't initially fix it causing my steering box (or whatever it's called) to need to be replaced ($1800). Steering wheel still shook so I replaced that I paid to replaced both the front brake pads and front rotors ($300). All was good until about 7 months down the road the steering wheel started to shake again while braking. It's not super severe like the first time but is very noticeable and annoying. I'm afraid it'll end up with me fixing the whole steering mechanism again so I really don't have a choice but to replace the rotors and brakes again. I'm done with dodge. Only reason I keep it is because it's the first car I ever paid off.

- , Mililani, HI, USA

Aug 012015

Journey SXT 3.5L

This is the most terrible vehicle I have ever bought. I will never own another Dodge. Week 2 of having it the car would not drive, transfer case went out. Brakes and rotors wear out too soon and tires lose air all the time. Vehicle shakes so badly it feels like the wheels are going to fall off going down the road. I hate Dodge and I hate this vehicle.

- , Westover, WV, USA

Jul 202015

Journey LX 2.2L

After a month driving and feeling scare because when braking the car start shaking really bad, I decide to drop it at my mechanic's garage. Problem was the rotors. (again) Twice I have had to pay to change it. First time when the car had approx 100000 KM on it and now again that had 175000 KM. After CA $413 Canadian dollars bill car is working well again. Thanks to my mechanic.

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Oct 012014

Journey RS V6

I replaced the pads & had the rotors machined less than a year ago (October 2014) & now (August 2015) they sound like it is metal to metal again.

- , Wichita, KS, USA

Nov 242010

Journey R/T V6

Had to replace all 4 rotors and brakes due to premature wear. Replaced with lifetime pads and better rotors, and haven't had much of an issue since. Still a big pain in the ass with 2 very young kids. significant safety issues.

- , Somers, CT, USA

Apr 152015

Journey SXT V6

I bought this car from a dealership in Feb. 2013. I have had to replace the pads and rotors THREE times now! We just had them completely replaced again, about a month ago, and the rotors are already so warped that my steering wheel about shakes my arms off when I apply my brakes.

I love all of the options this car has, but it eats thru tires and brakes/rotors way too often. And for this car having 19" tires...that's no cheap replacement. It is NOT my driving, I assure you.

- , Carlisle, OH, USA

Feb 142014

Journey EX 3.5L V6

The recall on the ignition problems last year has never been fixed. Afraid to drive it any distance.

- , Wright City, MO, USA

Mar 012015

Journey RT 3.2L V6

Here we go again... brakes and rotors had to be replaced again....

- , Lees Summit, MO, USA

Oct 012013

Journey RT 3.2L V6

This is just the beginning of the problems with this car.....

- , Lees Summit, MO, USA

Jun 142014

Journey SXT 3.5

This is the third time I've had brake work done. First time was when the vehicle had 19,367 miles on it.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 152013

Journey RT 3.5L

I should buy stock in Journey brake parts company. Dodge leaders should be held responsible for this engineering FU!!!

Jul 122011

Journey RT 3.5L

Sh*tty design, sh*tty company puts this crap on vehicle.

Dec 152009

Journey RT 3.5L

Brought to dealership and turned away as normal wear.

Dec 102014

Journey RT 3.2L V6

Like so many others, complete replacement of brakes, rotors, pads at under 40,000...absolutely absurd. Chyrsler should replace all brakes on these vehicles for free as it is obviously an engineering design error. Will never buy another Dodge/Chrysler again.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA