2009 Dodge Journey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 122009

Journey

I purchased my 2009 Dodge Journey in May 2008. I have had serious issues with this car since purchasing the car. The main problem with this car is that the engine had to be replaced within 3 years of paying for the car. This is highly unheard of. While waiting for all parts to arrive, taking 3 months to arrive, I was not offered a loaner car or anything. Nothing was offered but bad attitudes from everyone at bergeron Dodge in metairie, Louisiana. I have had so many issues with this car that as of today I continue to have starting issues with this car. This car is a true lemon!!

- Kenner, LA, USA

Mar 012011

Journey

When I hit a bump or turn a corner, my ignition will turn off and then I have no power steering, no lights no brakes. This has happened in heavy traffic. This has happened multiple times and I have not had any resolution from Chrysler.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jan 052011

Journey 6-cyl

Vehicle has just randomly shut off while driving twice and luckily able to avoid accident. Over past couple years at random it will not start, all instruments have power just hear a clicking sound than after few times it ended up starting. Except today it will not turn over. Had contacted some dealers asking about problem and they were not helpful at all.

- Unity, ME, USA

Sep 182013

Journey 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway, with my daughter in the car, and my truck completely lost power. I was luckily able to pull over and restart the vehicle. It was very scary and my life and my daughter's life were in jeopardy. This happens approximately one every 3 weeks. Today, 11-25-2013, my fiance was driving around a roundabout, the car died and she was hit lightly from behind. Also, the controls on my driver's side door do not work properly. They rarely roll down the windows correctly and right now, the back driver's side window is down. I had to duct tape plastic on the door. I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow to try and fix these problems. I just don't know why this series of 2009 Journeys were not recalled. We are scared to even drive the Journey especially because of the lost power issue and with really no money to have it diagnosed.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Oct 232013

Journey 6-cyl

The car will not start. It comes with a faulty win module that has given many consumers grief. The car has left me stranded before due to the same issue.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 172013

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated while driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled and all of the warning lamps on the instrument panel illuminated. The contact mentioned that once she turned the vehicle off and back on it began to function normally. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to determine the cause of failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 54,000 and the current mileage was 55,000.

- Latrobe, PA, USA

Jul 232013

Journey

The vehicle keeps overheating. I've added coolant. There doesn't seem to be a leakage stain in the garage or driveway. It happened yesterday after leaving the office for lunch. I barely made it home before the Journey completely shut down. I allowed the engine to cool off, added coolant, and it wouldn't restart. I took a different car back to work and was able to start the Journey upon returning home. I let it sit overnight and it started right up this morning. However, upon driving 15 minutes during lunch today, it overheats again. The red warning light appeared and the ding sounded. The Journey coasted into my office parking spot where it will stay until I leave this evening. Hopefully, after adding more coolant, I'll at least be able to make it home. I will be trading this vehicle in asap! ps. The tire pressure light is always on, irregardless the proper amount of air in the tires.

- Springfield , IL, USA

Dec 012012

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. When the air conditioning or power window switch was activated, the vehicle would then start. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000 and the current mileage was 91,000.

- De Motte, IN, USA

Jul 062013

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, there was a sudden loss of power and smoke was seen coming from the end of the vehicle. Also, the contact stated that the low oil pressure and check engine warning lights were illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number : 08V247000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 84,000. The VIN was not available.

- Troy , IL, USA

May 252013

Journey 4-cyl

Recently my 2009 Dodge Journey has been experiencing starting problems. At first I thought it was the battery because it would start by jump starting it. Then it became progressively worse, and I had the battery changed. That worked for about a week, then the problem began getting worse. You would drive the car for about 10 to 15 min, turn it off and when you come back it would not start. After a few tries it would finally start. When it did happen if you waited for 10 min or so it would start right up. Then one morning I drove 7 miles and had to turn the car off, came back and it would not start. Tried for 10 to 15 min and even tried to jump start it with no luck. I proceeded to get a ride to work, then came back that night and it started right up. I immediately took it to a pep boys ( a national chain) (dealership was closed) and left it there. They ran electrical, starter and ignition test on it the next day and found no problem. They started over 40 times over the course of the day and it started every time. Now is working, but for how long. I have searched this on the internet and seems to be a common problem with the Dodge Journey. There is no real solution, just a bunch of guess of what's wrong. Dodge needs to recall this vehicle.

- Imperial, PA, USA

May 012013

Journey 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 83,000.

- Shelburn, IN, USA

Mar 142013

Journey 6-cyl

While driving to work the engine started making a clunking noise I stopped and checked under the hood the oil was very low it was not ready for an oil change yet and no lights came on I parked it and called to have it towed, the dealer says it is not covered under the factory warranty because it does not transfer from the original owner I bought it used, there is absolutely no reason for this to happen on a newer lower mileage car and to not have Chrysler stand behind it is unheard of. I have completed all required maintenance on a timely basis.

- Chelsea, MI, USA

Jan 302013

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that when driving 60 mph, she would hear an abnormal noise in the engine. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the power transfer needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 57,563.

- Lolo, MT, USA

Feb 202013

Journey 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled and all of the warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was able to be restarted after several minutes and on some occasions the vehicle would have to be towed. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and the current mileages were approximately 38,000....updated 04/25/13 the consumer stated the dealer flashed the power control module and advised to continue to drive the vehicle until the failure was constant or the code remained on. Updated 05/31/2013

- Machesney Park, IL, USA

Feb 142013

Journey 6-cyl

As I was driving home from work and turning into my neighborhood I noticed smoke coming from the back of my car as I looked in the rearview mirror. There were no warning lights on other than my gas light which had just come on about a mile before. I pulled into my parking space and the car immediately began smoking from the underneath the hood, enough to alert all of the neighbors who came out thinking a house was on fire. I saw flames coming from the hood on the passenger side as I was exiting the car. About a minute after I got out of the car, there was a loud explosion from underneath the hood, and the car started to kick out more smoke than before. My neighbor came over to open the hood after a few minutes. There were no more flames, but the heat shield metal had melted from the heat, as did parts of my engine, the engine cover, hoses, and metal connections. (unsure of the true mechanical lingo). The incident was reported to my insurance company as a loss.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Jun 012012

Journey 6-cyl

Engine fails intermittently to starts after stopping car. Problem seems to happen more often when car is hot...after running car for a long time. Car had to be towed once..but all other times when engine cools down engine starts. All lights comes on, but ignition does not turn over....engine also has a clattered noise coming from the engine from time to time.

- Broussard, LA, USA

Nov 152012

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. Also, the contact stated the failure occurs intermittently without any warning. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic on several occasions for the same failure were the failure could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not offer any assistance due to the vehicle not being included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000 and current mileage was 109,000.

- Hewitt, NJ, USA

Jan 292013

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle intermittently failed to start. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileage was approximately 69,000.

- Ft Wayne, IN, USA

Dec 232012

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer at least four times because it sporadically failed to start. The dealer would perform a diagnostic test each time but was never able to generate any failure codes or provide an explanation for the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 66,000 and the current mileage was 67,000.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Jan 082013

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start intermittently. The contact stated that the started was replaced however, the failure vehicle was not taken to the dealer and was neither diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 68,200.

- Wauconda, IL, USA