CarComplaints.com Notes: A prime example of why you should never buy the first model year of a new vehicle.

2009 Dodge Journey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jul 282015

I went to start my vehicle and it failed to start again, the starter kept trying to start by clicking the battery terminal then began smoking and cause the casing to melt, 3rd battery in 3 years.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Jul 232015

Having unexplained starting issues with my Dodge Journey -- I am being told that I need a new tipm to make my car work. However, there are no parts available at any Dodge/Chrysler dealership.

- Bettendorf, IA, USA

May 012015

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. While parked, the vehicle failed to start and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system, air bags); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Corona , CA, USA

May 152015

I own the vehicle in question and have on several ocasions contacted the dealership neilson Dodge in East hanover, NJ where I purchased the vehicle from to fix the systems involvled in this recall, but to no avail. They have told me they do not have the parts to complete the repairs. My car has failed to start several different times and has shut off while I was driving once. There have also been a few times when the vehicle has started, but no electrical systems have worked execpt for the engine. I drive 60 miles to work per day on roads with speeds of 45-50 mph which creates a dangerous situation if the electrical system were to shut down. I am at a loss as to how to proceed and how that NHTSA can be of assistance to me.

- Whippany, NJ, USA

Jun 012010

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. When the key was turned to the on position, the engine failed to start. The contact was able to start the engine after multiple attempts. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Warren, MI, USA

Dec 312014

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. While driving at 40 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received a notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system) and believed the failure was related to the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Frederick, OK, USA

Jan 202015

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. While reversing from a parking spot, the engine stalled. In addition, the check engine warning light illuminated prior to the failure. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition win module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was included under the NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system) but the part was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Cockeysville, MD, USA

Feb 022015

My cars check engine light came on, had it hooked up to a find out what the code was. Came back the tipm was defected. Since I purchased this car back in 2010 I have had recurring problems with the car not starting at will. Sometimes after sitting for an undisclosed time it will restart only to shut it off and have it happen again. I was told the tipm may very well be responsible for the problem. After contacting Chrysler they stated they have no knowledge of the issue

- Palos Hills, IL, USA

Jul 022014

For almost a year the doesnt start when it doesnt want to I get in the car and everything lights up and the engine just clicks ive had the starter replaced the battery the some modual with new keys the shifter and nothing has helped im at a loss the car has been towed more times than I can count ive been stuck with my children in dark parking lots far from home it happens way to much and the fact that they cant fix this [roblem is rediculous no oe should have to deal with this I have now been in a rental for 3 weeks im sick over this I lost my car in sandy and bought this stupid one to replace that and now im trying to fix my hme and a car I pay cash for

- Lindenhurst, NY, USA

Mar 132015

I received a recall notice for my vehicle back in 2013 or 2014 regarding the wireless ignition node (win) module. Chrysler recall number is: L25 NHTSA recall number is: 11V-139. Recall date is: March 1, 2011. I have had my vehicle completely shut off on several different occasions which has almost gotten me in a wreck. I have been fortunate to be able to get out of the way of traffic but the last two times this has happened I was barely able to avoid an accident. One time I was driving on a toll road in austin, Texas and going over a bridge and had to pull as close to the center cement wall as possible and restart my vehicle and hurry to get out of traffic before I was hit. This last time that it happened I was driving on my way to work on again a busy 4 lane road and was able to pull into an entrance of an apartment complex and restart my vehicle. Both times it has been a close call. My local Dodge dealership keeps telling me that there is currently no replacement part available. This is becoming very frustrating and also very scary at the same time. Can you please advise me as to when this replacement part might be available. Like it said I have

- Temple, TX, USA

Mar 052015

I've already complained about this issue at least 3 times. When trying to start the car it will not start. Nothing happens. The only ways to get the car started at that point is: Moving the battery around, removing and putting the battery cables on the battery (to reset it), and put the car in neutral and turn the key. So you tell me, does this car need to be recalled"?" I'm still paying on this pos (piece of sh*t) which makes no sense. I need this car recalled and money be returned. I've been complaining about this car since 2009, will I ever get assistance"?"

- Bay St. Louis, MS, USA

Nov 112014

After starting up the vehicle, the radio and information display will not function at all. When the vehicle is then shut off the battery will drain rather quickly( within 8 hours) and kill the battery. If the battery is disconnected and then reconnected the radio and display will then work. This happens frequently depending on how many time the vehicle is started and stopped.my mechanic has traced it to the tipm, totally integrated power module.

- Scranton, PA, USA

Feb 092013

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. While driving at an unknown speed, the engine light illuminated and the vehicle decelerated. The contact mentioned that the top speed obtained was 25 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, and the throttle body was replaced; however, the failure recurred more than ten times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred intermittently. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- Depere, WI, USA

Jan 162015

TL-the contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic but was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. Djr

- Metuchen, NJ, USA

Nov 012013

The vehicle will not start intermittently. After several costly repairs the issue persists and the dealer and manufacturer deny knowledge of the problem or report that they cannot duplicate it. This seems disingenuous since all car sites I evaluated prior to this complaint list this same issue in abundance. I also have had to repair or replace the brake systems and am currently receiving warning lights for the esp and bas. The model year is poorly manufactured and the manufacturer is not taking responsibility. It has also been extremely dangerous (multiple incidence of stranding in the middle of winter without heat up to 2 hours with small children after which the car will miraculously start.)

- Little Falls , NJ, USA

Oct 032014

Vehicle will stall without warning for no apparent reason at any speed. On Oct 3, 2014 I was taking my child to school when the car stalled in an intersection. After the light turned green I proceeded to the intersection and stalled upon entering the intersection. I was able to put the car in neutral and restart within ~10 seconds. This issue repeated itself at least twice while en route from my home to a nearby service shop (foltz auto) which determined there was no issue the battery or ignition. On 10/5/14 I took the vehicle to heritage Chrysler (21234) and had the car serviced for two reasons: The main reason was the above issue and a secondary issue was the main odometer (not the trip odometer) at some point had reset itself leaving a display of an incorrect mileage much lower than the actual mileage. The dealer could not recreate the stalling issue or offer any solution, but noted that another electrical issue was causing the odometer to display an incorrect mileage; the fix was to replace the instrument cluster assembly. After having the instrument cluster replaced, the issue did not reoccur until 12/26/2014, when the car stalled three times without warning at ~40 mph, leaving the car completely "dead" each time, and once causing the car to veer quickly towards another car as I was in the process of turning the wheel around a slight curve when the car locked up. The car restarted in neutral and continued on in each incident until I was able to safely reach my home - I did not further drive the car. My concern is that the manufacturer knows, or show know, of multiple issues where this model and model year vehicle has randomly stalled without warning and can not offer a solution to the problem. Consumers are left to guess which repairs to undertake at significant expense, while driving a car that could continue to have the same issues.

- Perry Hall, MD, USA

Jul 082014

I'm writing to complain that my 2009 Dodge Journey has been issued a recall for the ignition switch.the vehicle will shut down completely. Despite the fact this represents a significant safety hazard and this recall was initiated almost 7 months ago, Chrysler still does not have the necessary parts to make the repair. I have contacted them on a number of occasions and they have no solution or can offer an alternative to driving this dangerous vehicle. We don't have the option to stop using the Journey. What responsibility does Chrysler have to make these ignition parts available in expeditious manner? I would assume there must be a time limit to make these recall repairs. Every day I drive the Journey is like driving a bomb-you never know when it will go off.

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

Oct 242014

The contact owned a 2009 Dodge Journey. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. As a result, the contact lost control of the vehicle, swerved into the next lane, and crashed into a tractor trailer. The air bags failed to deploy. It was unknown if a police report was filed and if any injuries were reported. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Dec 152013

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled but was able to be restarted. On a second occasion while making a U-turn, the vehicle stalled. The failure occurred on several occasions. The contact mentioned that the failure was getting progressively worse. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on two occasions where the failure was unable to be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 23,000.

- Saint Marys, GA, USA

Oct 082013

Service inspection found 3 of 4 engine mounts had failed this was found before any traffic incident.

- Franklin , WI, USA