Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Dodge Journey got a major overhaul in 2011. Let's hope it's better than the first generation (2009-2010) -- it couldn't be much worse.

2011 Dodge Journey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Journey:

2011 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 202016

Takata recall.

- Wolfforth, TX, USA

Jul 012015

We have had our brakes/calipers/rotors/brake lines checked and/or replaced "3 times" over the past 4 months. Each time the mechanic was not comfortable with me driving the car in that condition - so he kept the car each time until it was fixed. Back in July - the brakes sounded horrible - grinding and squealing - and very very hot. In July, our mechanic said - brake pads were gone - rotors shot, caliper shot, so we paid over $400 to have all of that repaired. So, new rotors, brakes and calipers on the rear of this car.....we thought the problem was fixed (although we are still puzzled at why the brakes/rotors/calipers were so bad). Well, 2 months later (September) the problem was back and worse this time. The rear driver side brake was insanely hot, you could hear it ticking with heat and could feel the heat from a foot or two away - the squealing sound was back and even worse. That we have had the same problem (brakes/rotors/calipers shot) 3 times in a four month period. Again in November, needed new brakes, calipers and it even ruined the brake line with the heat!!! the caliper "broke", the brake pads were worn down again - in only 2 months!!! our mechanic researched the problem and said Chrysler put the wrong brake system on the Dodge Journeys (years 2009-2013 I believe) and corrected it in 2014. The current brake system is not adequate for the weight of the vehicle. He said there is a class action lawsuit right now - but no recalls as of yet. He said it would be $400 for a new break system. Our mechanic also said auto zone will not longer keep replacing our brake pads for free (they did this 3 times as we thought it was faulty brake pads/calipers at first) as there is nothing wrong with their product - the problem is with the brake system in the Dodge Journey. Please help! how do we get Chrysler to replace this brake system to make it safe to drive?

- Alliance, OH, USA

Oct 012012

When driving this vehicle at highway speeds, when you have to push the brakes there was a pretty severe vibration. The vibration at times was almost bad enough to make you lose control depending on speed and how hard you have to apply the brakes. When I asked the dealership about this on more than one occasion they told me that this was a known problem with 2009 - 2011 model years but there was no recall. Then at 37,000 miles I had to take my car in for brake noise and they told me that all of my brakes were bad and that the rotors were worn unevenly and needed replaced. I said there is no way that a 37,000 mile car should have that bad of brakes and I reminded them of the previous complaints. It did no good and I had to pay $700. If you read online there are many complaints like mine and with the issue being something as important as brakes, this should be taken seriously.

- Belleville, MI, USA

Aug 242015

Today 8-24-15 my 2011 Dodge Journey shut off as I was driving down a road. There was no prior indication the car all of the sudden would not steer, brake or do anything. The electric was still on but the car completely shut off. I had to use all my strength to maneuver it off the road and wait for it to slow down. My child was in the car. This is the second incident this has happened - 1st being in March 2015. Both have been reported to Chrysler. Both times I have brought to my local mechanic and it was set up for computerized diagnostic testing and both time threw no error codes. My mechanic believes it is an issue with the win module or something that is making the car ignition faulty and turning to accessory mode. It is unsafe to drive and I have contacted Chrysler because they need to stand behind their product. They are unwilling to make it a priority and have not offered a resolution. Just a note, the 2009 and 2010 version of this vehicle have been recalled for same issue. I have set up appt to have it diagnosed by Chrysler service center as they have indicated -however, the only time they could fit me in was a full week away. So now I wait because they feel that my car is safe " and haven't even offered a rental "!

- Cornish , ME, USA

Jul 012015

It has been about a month since my 2011 Dodge Journey had begun to shut off without warning while I was driving, and with nyc traffic in the city it became dangerous for me to drive. I took it to my own mechanic who said it could only be resolved by the dealership since it may be an electrical issue with the car's computer that only the service shop at the dealership has the tools to fix. I am not driving faster than 30 mph when it happens, I'm unable to brake and the car shuts off automatically. I have begun to use the emergency brake, but if there is a car that is too close, in front or behind me, I can get into an accident. Thankfully, I have always been by the shoulder on the highway and am able to pull over.

- Flushing, NY, USA

May 052015

Journey 4-cyl

I bought my Journey in 08/2014 with 37,000. The dealership replaced the front rotors and brakes. Less than 30,000 miles later (today) I was told that I need to replace my brakes and rotors because they are metal against metal and grinding when I stop.

- Anderson, MO, USA

Oct 242014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the brakes failed to work properly and the brake pedal sank to the floor. The contact mentioned that the stopping distance was extended and the brake light and traction control light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the technician determined that nothing was wrong with the brakes. The vehicle had not been diagnosed by the dealer. The failure mileage was 41,000...updated 05-26-15

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 022012

Journey 6-cyl

Brakes replaced at 12,000 miles we bought the car at 15,000 miles brakes shaking the car at 25,000 miles and replaced at 27,000 brakes started to shake at 40,000 miles and I called the dealership and they said the only file that the brakes were replaced were at the 12,000 mile point which means they kept the 27,000 miles off the book. Brakes have been shaking for some time now and we are replacing again at 50,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 062013

I have had nothing but problems with my Journey. Before 2500 rotors had to be replaced around 30K miles transmission rebuilt now at 53K miles the transmission is being rebuilt again! this last time it occurred with my children in the car on the way to daycare. My car would not get into gear as I was driving it feel out of gear and would not accelerate with my foot on the gas. Not to mention my car would not even go into park! when my car was in park the car would drift backwards. Keep in mind this was happening on a busy highway with 2 young children!! I am so disappointed. For having a brand new car this has done nothing but stress me out. Before we purchased our Journey we purchased a brand new caliber and had it for 2 years and never had any issue! I am wondering what can be done.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Aug 082014

21,000 miles and just replaced the rear brakes and front rotors on my vehicle. Called dealership to find out warranty information and it is only 12,000 miles/12 months. It cost me $300 to have them replaced and am not happy about it. In all my years of leasing my vehicle, I have never had to replace brakes on my vehicles at 21,000.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Aug 282013

Horrible parts the brakes and rotors needed to be replaced after only 2 years. I have asked many people who own the same car about it and they all have the same problem.

- Dillsburg, PA, USA

May 162013

Journey 6-cyl

My steering wheel was shaking when I brake, this is due to sub par rotors. There are many others with this same problem, and Chrysler recalled the 2010 Journey's for the same issue, but refuse to take responsibility for the 2011's because, according to their customer care rep, not enough people have complained yet. My vehicle had under 31,000 miles when this needed to be fixed. Rotors should and do last much longer then 3 years and 31,000 miles. I have just had the rotors repaired at my own expense, $300 for the front rotors. Chrysler should reimburse me for this expense.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Jun 302014

Journey 6-cyl

Metal scraping sound when driving below 20mph and stops when brakes are pushed. Sounds very similar to many online complaints I've read. Recalls issued for similar models with the same year, but not mine. Very frustrating.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Jun 222014

Journey 6-cyl

We were on our way to church and the steering wheel started shaking at about 55 mph so we slowed down and it stopped. As we continued on to church the wheel started shaking again and we drove a little faster and then slower. We made it to church and as we parked the car we noticed a burning smell. When I got out of the passenger side of the car there were metal plates popping out of the wheel. I noticed the cap on the wheel was melted. The metal plates were too hot to pick up and the wheel was extremely hot. We did some research on the internet and found complaints on There are also 12 reported complaints on If Dodge knows there is a problem like this; why isn't there a recall? I just had the oil changed at the Dodge dealership and they did an all point check up. The only thing they recommended was a tune-up. No problem was found with the brakes. The mechanic told me that the caliper got so hot it damaged the ceramic brake pads and rotor. He said the caliper could have locked up and we could have gotten in accident. We are fortunate that did not happen however it certainly could have. The repairs were over $400. I should not have this expense on this new of a vehicle. This is the first Dodge I have ever owned and loved this vehicle until now. Now I am not sure I will ever own another one. Very disappointed to say the least.

- Okeechobee, FL, USA

Jun 062014

Journey 4-cyl

There has been a problem with the brakes in this vehicle since we bought it almost 3 years ago, although the dealership has said they cannot find it. At speeds over 40mph, when the brakes are applied the steering wheel vibrates until the vehicle is completely stopped. Now that the vibration is really bad, I began an investigation online to see if other Journey owners had the same experience with vibration. I have discovered there are many with the problem, that Chrysler has been made aware of this problem for years, but I don't know what is being done to remedy the problem for those of us who own the vehicles. This is an expensive repair, that the dealership chose to ignore when brought to their attention, and the vehicle was still under warranty.

- Gladstone, MO, USA

Nov 252011

Journey 6-cyl

I live and bought the car in guadalajara, Mexico. But since it is essentially the same as those sold in the usa, and other countries I hope my experience with the car problem I am describing below, helps other owners.only a few months after we bought a brand new 2011 Dodge Journey noticed a strong steering wheel vibration when braking from any speed. Car stopped ok, but annoying and felt unsafe. Took to dealer, they found a warped left front rotor and prematurely worn front pads, had to fix on my expense. After only 5000 or so more miles same failure again, this time took car to a specialized brakes shop, they again found warped rotor (replaced new), worn pads, etc. Again after another 6K miles, same failure. Took the car to the same brake shop. They were so puzzled by the repeating failure and low mileage in between that this time they did a very thorough disassembly and inspection of the brakes system. This time though, we successfully found the root cause of the problem: Warped and worn pins where the calipers sit and slide to grip the pads when braking. This, under some conditions apparently caused caliper to "stick" (due to warping and noticeable indentation from excessive wear), causing some permanent braking on rotors with obvious overheating, rotor wear, warping and excessive (and notoriously uneven) wear of brake pads. So, the pins were replaced along with the pads and rotor, I am happy to say that at least in my car this completely solved the problem for good, this last time I had the brakes serviced the pads lasted over 14K miles prior to replacement and no vibration was felt again, (we live on a hilly area and use a lot of braking downhill, so 14K miles pad life is acceptable and comparable to other cars we owned). Hope this helps the hundreds of owners experiencing this same problem as seen in many forums over the internet.

- Tlajomulco, Jal, 45643 Mexico, TX, USA

Aug 092013

Journey 6-cyl

Bought Dodge Journey 2011 R/T in Feb if this year(2013). Truck currently has 29,000 miles on and now steering wheel shakes rapidly when braking. Very scary when on parkway driving 50-65 miles per hour when you have 2 young children in the vehicle. Got a carfax on vehicle and found out that it has had rotors and brakes replaced or repaired at least 3 times starting at 2,400 miles. I think that it totally uncalled for and it sounds really unsafe for me and my children. To have to replace them 4 times before it even hits 30,000 miles. I think there is a problem here. So not only do I have to pay for them to be replaced time and again but to put my family at risk. The manufacturer should def be responsible and liable for this problem.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Jun 212013

My 2011 Dodge Journey steering wheel shakes quite hard when braking and pulls to the right. Took car to dealer and was told that the brake rotors were warped. The car only has 14,000 miles and dealers said brakes were like new. This would appear to be premature to me as well as a safety issue. This is not covered by warranty.

- Mcgaheysville, VA, USA

Jun 012013

Journey 6-cyl

My Journey is less than 2 years old with 18,500 miles. Rotors are already warped (car shakes violently upon braking at all speeds). Dodge states that brakes are only covered under their warranty up to 12,000 miles. Internet sites are filled with complaints about similar problems in 2009-2010 Journeys and Dodge ended up extending warrantees for those years as a result. Dodge claims to have addressed brake issues with the 2011 redesign but clearly the problem remains. They need to stand behind their product, and do the right thing by extending the brake warranty on 2011's as well.

- Milton, VT, USA

Jun 212011

Journey 6-cyl

Since shortly after taking delivery of this 2011 Dodge Journey crew, I have had issues with the brakes. I had it in a few times because the brakes seemed to have a pulsation when applied. 1st time on 11/21/11 with only 947mi on the car the tech reported "front rotors had high spots". they machined what were basically new rotors as a repair. Car continued to have minor pulsation feeling when braking but thought that it may just be something we had to live with as car seemed to brake ok and just feeling the sensation seemed minor. Again had the car in for brake pulsation this time with 9487mi on it. Once again they found they had to re-surface front rotors and said nothing about rear brakes....this was on 06/13/12. Continued to "feel" the brakes but again thought this was just something I would have to live with until it got bad again. In early 2013 we occasionally would smell a burning type smell and the first couple time we were driving and smelled it when we stopped at an we thought it might be something else either on another car or in an area we were passing. Upon pulling into the garage recently I smelled the same odor and noticed the rear wheel on the driver side smoking/steaming from the build-up of heat. It was so hot I was concerned about leaving it inside the garage so I parked it outside and watched it for awhile to be sure it cooled. So 06/03/13 w/24011 miles I got to my mech and they said rear brakes shot, completely rusted out. Had to have them repair ($ likely would have charged me 3X that amt) as it was unsafe to drive and I chose not to have it towed back to dealer. I kept photo's they took as well as old parts in the hope that someone with finally hold Dodge/Chrysler accountable for these years worth of flawed brakes and I might get reimbursed!

- S. Grafton, MA, USA