Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Dodge Journey got a major overhaul in 2011. Let's hope it's better than the first generation (2009-2010) -- it couldn't be much worse.

2011 Dodge Journey miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Journey:

2011 Dodge Journey Owner Comments

Mar 292016

Recurring safety issue with no concrete resolution. While driving at 55mph on a parkway vehicle engine stalled. I could not accelerate and the brakes and steering wheel locked. Radio, power windows, etc. All worked and I couldn't shut off the vehicle via the push button start/stop. When I pressed it to try and turn it off it made a noise like it was trying to start but couldn't. while waiting for the tow truck all of the check engine lights started flashing. Had it towed to the dealership, they replaced the alternator ($$) though diagnostics revealed no problems and they were able to start the car fine once it got there. One week later I was on the highway and the exact same thing happened. It was so scary. I could barely get to the shoulder of the road because the steering had locked. My speed was declining rapidly with cars rushing past at 65+ mph. Once on the shoulder, even though my speed had declined to 0, I was on a slight hill so I just kept rolling bc I had no ability to break. Journey was towed to dealership again and, as before, nothing comes up as the source of the problem via the diagnostics test. The one thing that diagnostics did reveal was that it was detecting a key fob in the car with a low battery- both of the keys are at home with me with no car to drive. Additional problems and repair costs incurred have included malfunction of all steering wheel control buttons and horn, tire sensors needing to be replaced (they all showed 0 pressure when the tires were fine), and key fob detection. I have seen many complaints of this scary engine stall experience with no clear resolution as to why it is happening. It seems the mechanics and star techs are car only has 75K miles on it and I am terrified to drive it especially with my child in the car. Please investigate this issue before someone gets injured.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Sep 182013

Since the day I bought this vehicle, 2013, I have had numerous dead batteries when I went out to start it. As well as flicking dash lights (bright then dim and back again, completely random) while driving during the day, evening, night, raining, and snowing. The Ford dealership that which I bought it from, and the local Chrysler dealership have had my vehicle more in the last two years, then I have. Both Ford & Chrysler dealerships have found multiple issues, but have not fixed one of my main complaints, the dash lights flickering. Between the two businesses they have re-built the transmission, changed the throttle body, wiring harness, radio, radiator, motor train control module, instrument panel, and put a new battery in it many times, including the day I bought it. A mechanic at Ford had told me that there was issues with the Journey before I bought it. I requested a copy of all the paperwork that the Ford dealership had on my vehicle, and to my surprise the previous owner traded/sold (?) my vehicle to Ford the day before I bought it because he/she was going through the same issues with it the battery being dead.

- Cohasset, MN, USA

Sep 212015

My vehicle has been in the shop twice in 2 weeks. It started with a transmission issue. I was driving to work last Monday when the car would not shift into gear. The engine continued to idle, but it would not go into the next gear. After having it towed to carmax where it was purchased. They sent it to the transmission shop who later confirmed my torque convertor was faulty. So it was replaced. My truck was in the shop from 9/21-9/25. I was finally able to pick it up on Monday 9/28. Well, I picked it up and it was driving fine. Then all of a sudden yesterday 9/30, I go outside on my lunch break and it will not start at all. The lights, clock, radio, seats...etc all work fine. But, the vehicle will not start. No clicking noises or anything. It is not trying to turn over at all. I took it back to the transmission shop who last worked on it and they can not figure out what is wrong. They say the diagnostic machine is not picking up on anything! I have to wait until the morning to call the Dodge dealership to see if they can now take a look at it. This is very frustrating!!!! I will update again once I know what the problem is.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Aug 122015

My husband was driving the car when all of a sudden the radio, all the lights inside, the dashboard, and everything just stopped but the car was still running. He had to pull over, turn off the engine and then restart it for things to turn back on. A few days later I was driving and all the lights inside the car turned on simultaneously for no reason. This happened a few times during the short drive. Hasn't happened since but mechanic asked me to call Dodge to check on recall. No recall when I called Dodge but others have noticed similar incidents with their Dodge Journeys.

- Oceanside, CA, USA