3.9

2012 Dodge Journey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Journey:

2012 Dodge Journey Owner Comments

Nov 052016

Journey

I was driving onto the entrance to the expressway and my car would not pick up speed. It started hesitating and would not pick up speed, the ESC light came on and started blinking as well as the etc light came on. I immediately got off the expressway at the next exit when I came to a stop, the car stalled and cut off I could have been rear ended I put my flashers on and started the car it started but it was still hesitating I pulled over in a car parking lot and turned it off I turned it back on again and drove home slowly and made an appointment to the car dealership the lights did not come back on I feel very very unsafe driving this car.

- Flint, MI, USA

Dec 132014

Journey 4-cyl

Engine shut down while entering highway but all lights still work, I was barley able to coast to side. Electronic throttle control is the issue according to my dash symbols. I have looked online and see lots of these problems. This has now happened 3 time in 2 days. When I try to restart I get the etc error symbol on my dash, car just keeps trying to turn over but cannot. I have been able to start the engine usually after 15 min of sitting. I have not went to the dealer yet. I was hoping to find a recall since my warranty was only for 36000 miles.

- Eureka, MO, USA

Apr 302012

Journey 4-cyl

I was driving at 830pm and had at least 120 miles on the same road and set the cruise control to 68mph, the legal speed was 65mph and there was light traffic. As my car approached a small hilly incline, it failed to maintain the 68mph, dropping to 60mph, and then upon reaching "the top" it accelerated rapidly reaching high rpms roughly 5500 6000 and over compensating to as much as 77 before slowing down to the preset speed. After doing this 3 more times, I pulled over turned off the car and started it up, hoping it may just be a quick fix. It once again did it and I refrained from using the cruise control for the remainder of my trip. On my way back, I once again tried the cruise control again and saw the same results. Upon returning home I called my dealer and they told me they would look at it at my next appointment which was 10 days later. 2 days prior to me bringing in the car, I tried it for a third time, this time set at 45mph, same as legal speed limit, while continuing up from a parkway onto a bridge entrance, the car did it again and nearly sent me flying into the back of a truck but I was able to break fast enough to slow down and do a minor swerve within my lane to avoid it. This was immediately followed by a low engine coolant warning and I pulled over as soon as possible. The coolant reservoir was well above the minimum level, however had orange coolant on top of it. I cleaned up what I could and did below speed limit home. This was my second issue with the coolant warning, at 1150 miles I brought it in and the dealer found no codes that it even occurred and therefore did not fix a thing. Upon dropping off my vehicle, they did not seem at all concerned and thought I was making it up. I do not feel safe in my own car.

- Wantagh, NY, USA