2013 Dodge Journey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Journey:

2013 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 182016

I contacted the manufacturer/dealership at bob caldwell on morse rd in columbus, Ohio. I was told three separate times they could complete the recall repairs and each time I was then told they cannot.

- Lewis Centet, OH, USA

May 132016

All controls for the heat/air/defog will not work. The system will not turn on. This problem was fixed once by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, but this no longer works. This was noticed upon starting the vehicle. I have read about numerous failures and shorts within the modules that controls these systems. This has caused difficulties operating the vehicle in certain weather because the windows fog up.

- Sheridan, IN, USA

Apr 052016

Purchase date of car was roughly 12/01/12. On 08/23/15, the vehicle wouldn't start and I was told it needed a new battery, so it was replaced the same day. Prior to that, I was noticing strange things like the A/C going full blast and I wasn't able to turn it off, etc. Car wouldn't start again 12/07/15, and I was again told the battery needed to be replaced. Dealer ran diagnostics and found nothing, but charged me $150. Battery was still under warranty with sears, so they replaced it at no charge. Battery died again 03/20/16 while sitting in a parking lot idling for a while. Went on vacation for 10 days in spring of 2016, so vehicle sat, and I returned to a completely dead battery on 04/05/16. Jump started vehicle and drove it a while. Vehicle wouldn't shift down when getting on freeway and was revving way too high, the interior lights were flashing, and a battery saver mode message appeared on the display. I took it to sears again on 04/14/16 (it had sat for 2 days again, and wouldn't start, so had to be jumped). They've had it a week now, have run all kinds of tests and the only thing they can determine is that the battery is draining while the vehicle is parked and not running. Sears is going to replace the battery for me again, but there is clearly a bigger issue going on here, and I hope this is researched further. I also spoke with a technician at the dealership, and he advised they have no recalls on file for this issue. As an aside, when researching the battery saver mode message, I ran across the following thread (so I may have sears replace the alternator too, which could be a waste of money, but may be a necessity... who knows):

- Norco, CA, USA

Mar 152016

I was traveling to work on the city street in my 2013 Dodge Journey SXT, a person ran the red light and struck me near the gas tank and then struck me a second time in the front drivers side of the vehicle. Six of the air bags deployed, the vehicle was totaled in the crash. I am writing this because I know that I am here today due to the build of the 2013 Dodge Journey SXT. I was so surprised that I went out and purchased another Dodge Journey.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Apr 012014

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Journey. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic), 14V391000 (electrical system), and 15V115000 (electrical system); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact sated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Kingman, AZ, USA

Jan 112016

Car has been serviced 5 times in the last 9 months for the same electrical issues. All 5 times car has had a dead battery in the morning, sometimes enough to have door lighting/radio come on (but can't start car) but usually no electrical activity at all. Diagnosed as a "bad battery" twice, a bad alternator once, and an issue with the glovebox light the 4th time. Car battery was dead again 1 week later after the glovebox "fix". car is kept inside the garage at home at all times. The first dead battery happened in April of '15, then again June '15, October '15, and twice again Jan '16. Sometimes the car was driven long distances the day before, and sometimes it's sat in the garage since Friday.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jul 152015

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Journey. While driving 85 mph, the speedometer fluctuated from 0 to 20 mph and the battery saver mode and ABS light illuminated. The contact also stated that the radio failed and the headlights dimmed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it could not be diagnosed. The failure recurred frequently. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Gainsville, FL, USA

Nov 102015

Battery kept going dead

- Jackson, GA, USA

Nov 062015

I was at the drive in movie and had the truck running for part of the movie. I shut the truck off and just listened to the rest of the movie via my radio and had the lights off. When the movie was over I I could not crank my truck. You could see the lights on in the inside but my truck dash said my key was not in vehicle of which it was. Then it said vehicle not in park of which it was. My uconnect screen kept trying to load and would just keep going out. I had 3 people try to jump it just in case the battery was dead even though I knew it wasn't including the tow service for my insurance. None of this worked. I had to get the vehicle towed home now I can not lock my vehicle cause it has no power. My dash says my key is not in the vehicle of which it was and that the vehicle is not in park of which it was. Now on my dash it says the following lights are on: Etl electronic throttle light, air bag warning light, and mil malfunction indicator light. I saw a lot of complaints about this on google and youtube when I search this issue this has got to be fixed caused I am a doge fan but I can not keep a vehicle that I am paying on and it doesn't work. Help

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Aug 012015

My vehicle has had two failed alternators. The vehicle has less than 50000 miles. The first happened less than a year. It was replaced under the warranty. The 2nd was recently replaced via an extended service contract but still cost me $200 for the deductible and a battery that was ruined by the alternator. Each time I had a battery saver mode message, nothing about the alternator. The 2nd time I was traveling across country and the veichle started downshifting and all the dashboard indicators started randomingly lighting up like a pinball game. I was barely able to get the vehicle off the highway so I wound't get hit. I was also in a sparsely populated area and was lucky to get towed to a nearby dealership.

- Mesick, MI, USA

Sep 172015

My vehicle has undergone repeated repair attempts, for a defect and nonconformity with defective transmission, transmission clunk, defective A/C, defective door locks, defective window regulator, and radio failure. These nonconformities substantially impair the use, value and safety of the subject vehicle. The transmission has shifting issues to the point of having to force it into reverse, especially if parked on an incline. The defective A/C and radio seem to be contained in the all-in-one unit in which the radio goes out and A/C will turn on at random and not turn off. The unit has been completely replaced once, only for the problem to continue. The defective door locks and window regulator was a result of wiring issue BCM and door latch assembly. I have filed a lemon law suit against Chrysler and bill luke, only to be declined as they state it was all within warranty. The vehicle is not worth nearly what I owe on it and has a huge list of repairs that would reflect negatively on carfax in the event of trade or resale. I have attached a summary of repairs, but have additional documentation, if needed.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Aug 032015

Without warning one day the car started smoking then caught on fire right while I was driving on the hwy. I quickly jumped out on the hwy almost into traffic trying to get away from the SUV thet within seconds quickly engulfed into flames. I could have been killed. The dealership made no mention about the defects or repairs. I would like to file a complain/lawsuit to seek a full refund along with damages, pain and suffering.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Aug 142015

When she was driving she got to the top of the hill. And the car shut down. She had no control over it, it flipped twice. And then Monday I get a recall notice on my wives car that hers can shut down. Dodge really needs to find out what's going on with the Dodge Journey, I'm fixing to get a lawyer and sue I guess if no one can tell us what's going on. She hadn't even paid the first payment on it yet, know farm bureau won't stop her payments, this is crazy the car is totalled and could have been a lot worse. I want something done immediately before we get a lawyer on to didge!

- Horseshoe Bend, AR, USA

Jun 102015

While I was driving I smelled something burning. Noticed smoke coming out of air vent (driver side near window). Pulled over and notice brown\black smoke coming out of driver's side door (where window and lock controls are). Got kids out of the vehicle and called the fire department. When car is turned back on the door continues to smoke. Windows have opened and closed with no power. Was cautioned not to drive it as it will catch on fire. Reading other recalls on window switches there may be a possibility of catching fire while sitting still.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Apr 112015

Journey 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Journey. While checking the oil level on the vehicle and replacing the dip stick, the contact touched the battery with the dip stick and sparks came from the vehicle. The end of the dip stick turned red. The vehicle was not powered on at the time. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 7,000. The VIN was unavailable...updated 05-26-15 updated 9/172015

- Franklinville, NJ, USA

Nov 052014

Vehicle won't start on first try. After first try lighting bolt warning light comes on and car idles rough. I turn vehicle off wait for about 2 min. Then retry to start vehicle. Vehicle starts up and light does not come on. For the rest of the day the car starts and runs ok. Once the car sits overnight and I go to start it the same thing happens. I called Dodge and was told that lighting bolt is the electrical throttle control. I went on line and a lot of people are having this same problem with their Dodge vehicle. Why hasn't there been an recall regarding this problem" are they waiting for some tragic accidents first, then lawsuits" Dodge told me the cost to fix would be $400-$600. I just bought this vehicle in may of 2014, Dodge should stand by their product and fix this for free. This is a Dodge product failure and nothing that I did wrong. Throttle body problems is not covered under my extended warranty, even if it was Dodge should do a recall and fix this problem.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 152014

Glove box illumination light stays on. The switch does work when depressed by hand, however, the glove box does not sit high enough when latched to depress the shutoff switch far enough to turn off the light. Attempted several fixes such as an empty glove box to no avail. The only temporary solution is closing the glove box with an object between the switch and the glove box to shut off the light. The light had been illuminated for a very long time when I noticed it, and with the light being an incandescent it was very hot. Likely to start a fire if a user stores napkins or other paper products in the glove box and they reach the light area, which can be reached by hand with the box open. The only indicator that the light is on while the glove box is closed is a small dim light visible through the passenger side vent.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Sep 192014

The contact rented a 2013 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle was equipped with a keyless push to start button feature. After the contact pressed the key fob to lock the doors, the vehicle failed to indicate that the engine was still running. The manufacturer was notified about the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 39,301.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Apr 052014

Journey 4-cyl

Existing problem ~doors will not unlock.sometimes I cannot get in my vehicle, then sometimes the persons in back seat cannot get out. There is no pattern it may work for a week day or month then start messing up again. This to me could be a safety issue because I carry my grandmother, mother and granddaughter in my vehicle on a regular basis. Also when I go to work it is dark outside and I feel like I need to get into my car then not have to wait and hope it unlocks. My car has been to the dealership 2 times getting ready to go back for a 3rd trip.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 102014

Journey 4-cyl

I could not set the cruise control without hitting the steering wheel. Once I got the cruise control set to 75 mph I could not get it to turn off. I hit the brakes 5 times before it would decelerate. Once the cruise control turned off there was a sudden hard shift on the engine and a loud knocking sound.

- Dallas, TX, USA