2. replaced brake system (2 reports)
1999 Dodge Neon brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Neon:

1999 Dodge Neon Owner Comments

Jun 282003

Even though I bought my Neon secondhand, I was assured everything was in good working order...and it was, for about 1 year. I always noticed a slight squeal in the brakes but everyone said that was dust and dirt. Then suddenly overnight it went from a slight squeal to the sound of metal grinding. No warning but plenty of stange looks from those around me. I was embarassed to even drive it to be fixed. And the lord. Even after replacing them I still have a slight squeak which the dealer told me is normal for a Dodge. Let's hope in another year I'm not back to grinding metal and another $500 repair. What a pain in the ass!

- , Nashville, TN, USA

May 162004

Neon Sport

The brakes on my wife's Neon have squealed from day 1. The dealer told her there was nothing wrong with them. I finally decided to take them to a private garage at about 49,000 miles. He did $500 of work on the rear brakes, but they still squeak, shriek, groan, and crunch. This is clearly a design problem, but Chrysler has elected not to take any responsibility.

- , Ann Arbor, MI, USA

May 262003

Brakes went too early, cost a lot to fix and they are still NOISY!!

- , Orangeville, ON, Canada

Apr 072003

Neon EX

The brakes on my Neon are noisy, rubbing sound and squeak. Had taken in to have them checked but was told they were okay. People look at me when I apply them. It's embarassing. Think Chrysler needs to take a look at this problem.

- , St. Clairsville, OH, USA

Jul 172001

Neon Sport

Since buying the car new, the brakes have squealed, moaned, groaned, clicked, screeched, etc. every time I stop. People actually stop on the sidewalk and watch...

The dealership ground the pads once and told me that it is quote, "A Neon Thing."

Why didn't they tell me about this 'thing' before I plopped down the fourteen thousand dollars?

It is an ongoing problem. Help!

- , Mid, MI, USA