2.7

2007 Dodge Nitro brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Nitro:

2007 Dodge Nitro Owner Comments

Oct 042015

Nitro

On a nice warm day in fort worth, Texas, October 4, 2015 in the afternoon I was traveling about 30 mph and noticed the store I wanted to turn into was on the right and I made a very sudden braking and a right-hand turn into the parking lot and then as I was in the parking lot I tried to slow down and the brake pedal went to the floor or almost and I went about 100 feet before my car stopped. I then noticed that I could slowly stop when I pressed the brake pedal all the way down. After parking and doing my shopping I returned to the car in about 15 minutes and noticed that the brake was back to normal. On a nice warm day in dallas Texas October 31, 2015 in the afternoon I was driving about 30 mph and ran over a rough pothole. I drove for about two more blocks and needed to stop at a signal light and my brakes failed as before. I was able to stop after almost pushing the brake pedal to the floor. On a nice day November 6, 2015 I went grocery shopping and my brake system was still operating poorly and would only stop after pressing the brake pedal almost to the floor. After shopping for about 30 minutes I get in the car and get ready to leave and behold! the brake system is back to normal. During the time the brake system was operating poorly I was noticing the symptoms of the brake. When I first step on the brake pedal it will go down almost all of the way to the floor with a little effort then at that point the brakes will work good. When I first step on the brake pedal I can feel it wants to slightly engage the brakes but will not want to stop until I press the brake pedal almost all of the way down.

- Haltom City, TX, USA

Aug 012015

Nitro

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle suddenly began to jerk and hesitate and the check engine light illuminated. While depressing the brake pedal to stop, the vehicle would not immediately stop and the braking distance was extended. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 113,000.

- Millsboro, DE, USA

Apr 242015

Nitro 6-cyl

While driving vehicle home from work yesterday, the brakes began to require a considerable amount of more pressure to engage the brakes than they had earlier in the day. Since this problem began it has steadily increased requiring me to push my brakes almost all the way to the floor before the brakes will engage. In a few cases my brakes have failed to engage at all requiring me to swerve out of traffic lanes in order to avoid causing a wreck. I have been forced to use my emergency brake twice to bring the vehicle to a complete stop after pumping the brakes several times trying to stop the vehicle without the brakes engaging.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jul 032008

Nitro

Back brake lights go out continuously. I have had them replaced several times while under warranty. Lights are still going out but now my extended warranty is over. Dealership said they would have to run a diagnostic test before they could find out what is wrong. This is very concerning because it is a documented problem since the first year I purchased the car in 2007 and the problem still exists. My rear windows stopped working, had to have them replaced which I found odd because I hardly used the back windows. Driver's side handle has snapped in half. This makes for a safety issue because I cannot get out of the car without rolling down the window and then unlocking myself then roll up the window before turning off my car. Also, the power window control has snapped off as well for controlling the front passenger window. I'm concerned I will be trapped in my vehicle if I continue to lose power functions to the car. Heating unit works sporadically. Took it to local mechanic he fixed it. It worked temporarily and then stopped. Called dealership and once again was told that they would have to perform a diagnostic test; which is understandable if this was the only problem, but unfortunately this is not.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jun 152011

Nitro 6-cyl

My Dodge Nitro is not able to pass safety inspection due to non-working parking brake. Mechanic inspected rotors and drums. Everything looked okay. Problem seems to be too much slack and brake handle but no way to adjust. I have seen a lot of complaints about similar problem; even a recall but only for manual transmission Nitros, mine is automatic. I feel a recall is warranted.

- San Antonio, TX, USA